EU's plans to Ban the repair of Older vehicles..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess that's one way to get rid of auto mechanics...

FB_IMG_1437748849371_zpss0gv4q6u.jpg

Looks like some social media people got confused or they wanted clickbait:

https://www.jgclassics.com/en/2024/...n-union-intend-to-ban-the-repair-of-old-cars/

The purpose of the rule​

If you read it in detail, you will see that the purpose of this proposed regulation is not to legislate about what can and cannot be repaired, but about:
  • What to do with the remains resulting from scrapping a car, in order to ensure that most of the waste from a scrapped vehicle is recycled and will be used as material to manufacture new vehicles.
  • What kind of controls can be made to prevent vehicles in a -really- irreparable state from being sent to third countries where the legislation is more tolerant in vehicle control, and the debris they generate.
  • In short, if one reads the draft regulation, it is understood that the objective is to avoid that the remains of scrapped/dismantled vehicles spread uncontrolled through third countries, either like scrap or like poorly repaired vehicles.

The owner of the car still decides when to turn it over as scrap, the initial law has been around since 2000.

Looks like some social media people got confused or they wanted clickbait:

https://www.jgclassics.com/en/2024/...n-union-intend-to-ban-the-repair-of-old-cars/

The owner of the car still decides when to turn it over as scrap, the initial law has been around since 2000.

Keep it mind.. who here reads all the legal wordings of a bill or proposed legislation that is submitted to be enacted into Law?
Let alone any of the post addendums government officials or Corporate Lobbyists might want to rush/sneak in after the fact from the initial proposals that's shown to the general public...

You never know what's going on behind Close Door sessions when the Real details are hashed out.

All I'm saying is be aware..
What goes on in other countries -EU, China, Canada etc- could Easily happen here.
Just sayin'

What they going to do ban me from learning to fix my own brakes? No oil changes for you! Going to stop selling tools. the problem nowadays is people have no skills can’t build sh$t can fix sh$t but can female dog about everything. No survival skills no common sense the world has become so easy that stupid flourishes!

What they going to do ban me from learning to fix my own brakes? No oil changes for you! Going to stop selling tools. the problem nowadays is people have no skills can’t build sh$t can fix sh$t but can female dog about everything. No survival skills no common sense the world has become so easy that stupid flourishes!
Yeah good point today's generation can't even change out their own wiper blades.

Yeah good point today's generation can't even change out their own wiper blades.
They can’t even put air in their own tires. Go to discount tire I drove by one and there were 10 cars in line to get the air checked. they have a guy that’s all he does all day put air in tires. Crazy 😜

They can’t even put air in their own tires. Go to discount tire I drove by one and there were 10 cars in line to get the air checked. they have a guy that’s all he does all day put air in tires. Crazy 😜

You have to wonder How the next generation will survive...
Kids Don't even know how to Grocery shop for food ingredients any more ,Let alone prepare a meal
-Unless it's from a box or bag with Picture instructions and a microwave.

Can't even turn their heads while driving to see if the coast is clear BEFORE changing lanes on the Highways/local streets ,or even just pulling out of a parking lot.

>> I saw a kid (driving a souped up Subaru hatchback) making a left turn into a McDonald's and getting T-boned by oncoming traffic - by a Mercedes. 🤦

>>> And Another Subaru SUV driver (honking at the car in front of it -"to hurry up!") making another left turn and getting side swiped in an intersection - by again a Mercedes. 🤷‍♂️
(This time I Caught a portion of the wreckage on dashcam.)

In Europe we already have plenty 'near-ZEZ' and soon to be 'Zero Emissions Zones' in dense areas. Here in the Netherlands you basicly can't enter any larger city with a 20y old diesel. There are some exceptions for classics, but there are way less old car enthousiast here than in the USA. Probably because of the high threshold for annual car 'fit for purpose/road legality' checks when it's >8 years old. I heard you US guys have some states where emissions are checked periodicly, but that's nothing compared to what is legal to drive here. Certainly don't think you can drive a Frankenstein hotrod over here. (i do wish i could)

Most cars that will be affected by this supposed forced obsolence proposal arent the awesome american classics, but mom's old opel corsa brick which has it's life extended as the kid first car. Valued <500€ and a gamble each year if it passes the check. With rules and regulations changing rapidly, this would kinda fit the situation here.
Practically only enforced by insurrance companies. You can still fix your own car, but you can't use it as daily in most places anyways.

And it's not to intended to keep poor Joe off the road. In France people who can't afford a new car, can now lease new EV's for 150€/month with gov support.

A regulation that actually passed recently is the circularity vehicle passport for EV's.
https://www.siemens-advanta.com/featured-articles/circularity-vehicle-passport
What gets me worried is what Siemens mentions as the 6th requirement "Cover more vehicles... Gradually extend the scope of the rules"

Last edited:
In Europe we already have plenty 'near-ZEZ' and soon to be 'Zero Emissions Zones' in dense areas. Here in the Netherlands you basicly can't enter any larger city with a 20y old diesel. There are some exceptions for classics, but there are way less old car enthousiast here than in the USA. Probably because of the high threshold for annual car 'fit for purpose/road legality' checks when it's >8 years old. I heard you US guys have some states where emissions are checked periodicly, but that's nothing compared to what is legal to drive here. Certainly don't think you can drive a Frankenstein hotrod over here. (i do wish i could)

Most cars that will be affected by this supposed forced obsolence proposal arent the awesome american classics, but mom's old opel corsa brick which has it's life extended as the kid first car. Valued <500€ and a gamble each year if it passes the check. With rules and regulations changing rapidly, this would kinda fit the situation here.
Practically only enforced by insurrance companies. You can still fix your own car, but you can't use it as daily in most places anyways.

And it's not to intended to keep poor Joe off the road. In France people who can't afford a new car, can now lease new EV's for 150€/month with gov support.

A regulation that actually passed recently is the circularity vehicle passport for EV's.
https://www.siemens-advanta.com/featured-articles/circularity-vehicle-passport
What gets me worried is what Siemens mentions as the 6th requirement "Cover more vehicles... Gradually extend the scope of the rules"
oh I’m sorry that just not right

Back