F/R Diff washers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kro

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
I just got done rebuilding/ changing all of my diff fuild on my Outcast. The rear diff only had three factory installed washers inside. When I opened the front diff I found five! Just curious if anyone else has a similar story. I did check 10x to make sure.

@Kro My Kraton had no shims behind each sun gear (the 2 larger gears that sit over pins at either end of the diff case) but had one behind each planetary gear (the 4 smaller gears that sit across the diff case). I seem to recall my rear diff only having 3 shims on the planetary gears, too. It now has 4 and still feels really smooth.

I bought a set of Mugen diff shims. The kit includes 6 large shims to go behind your sun gears and 12 smaller shims for your planetary gears (enough to do all 3 diffs). I added the ones behind the sun gears, removed all of the Arrma planetary shims then replaced them with the slightly thicker Mugen ones and they're now buttery smooth with no play to be worried about. Your diff is likely to need a different combination of shims, but give it a go.

If you're interested in doing the same thing, look for 'Mugen Seiki Differential Washer Set MUGE0206.

@Kro My Kraton had no shims behind each sun gear (the 2 larger gears that sit over pins at either end of the diff case) but had one behind each planetary gear (the 4 smaller gears that sit across the diff case). I seem to recall my rear diff only having 3 shims on the planetary gears, too. It now has 4 and still feels really smooth.

I bought a set of Mugen diff shims. The kit includes 6 large shims to go behind your sun gears and 12 smaller shims for your planetary gears (enough to do all 3 diffs). I added the ones behind the sun gears, removed all of the Arrma planetary shims then replaced them with the slightly thicker Mugen ones and they're now buttery smooth with no play to be worried about. Your diff is likely to need a different combination of shims, but give it a go.

If you're interested in doing the same thing, look for 'Mugen Seiki Differential Washer Set MUGE0206.

Much appreciated. Love the detailed feedback. Unfortunately I was unable to go all out on the diff shimming. I had to go back with the stock Arrma shims. Already looking to change diff fluid. So I'll be shimming the heck outta all of them shortly

Much appreciated. Love the detailed feedback. Unfortunately I was unable to go all out on the diff shimming. I had to go back with the stock Arrma shims. Already looking to change diff fluid. So I'll be shimming the heck outta all of them shortly
Not everyone has time to bulletproof the diffs but you could bash hard with no worries.

2.2mm drill bits cut to size
Mugen diff washer set (what was available)
Fast Eddie bearings

Credit to TPView attachment 10446View attachment 10447View attachment 10448View attachment 10449View attachment 10450

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back