Granite Fan for ESC how do I connect/install?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legit Wizard

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
IMG_20200728_121946.jpg
IMG_20200728_122004.jpg

OK so I'm new to the hobby and could use some help here.

I purchased a fan to help keep the ESC cool on my Granite Mega & to my surprise it came with no screws.

Where on the car do I plug in this fan and what screws do I need to attach it?

Many thanks

Hopefully that awesome fan you got (BTW) will fit. You need to use 4 long enough coarse thread screws and screw the fan into/between the Heatsink fins. That's how fans are mounted into ESC's. You are just mounting the fan on top of the HS. Good luck. Nice fan you got. (y)
The fans plug will need to be powered off of the Receiver. (any open port) I don't see any fan port on this ESC. But check. You will need an adapter for that fans plug or splice a standard "F" connector to it, observing polarity so it will plug into your receiver.

Hopefully that awesome fan you got (BTW) will fit. You need to use 4 long enough coarse thread screws and screw the fan into/between the Heatsink fins. That's how fans are mounted into ESC's. You are just mounting the fan on top of the HS. Good luck. Nice fan you got. (y)
The fans plug will need to be powered off of the Receiver. (any open port) I don't see any fan port on this ESC. But check. You will need an adapter for that fans plug or splice a standard "F" connector to it, observing polarity so it will plug into your receiver.

Thank you, do you know what size screws I need & where does it plug into? Cheers ?

Measure the fans housing depth (probably 10mm it appears) and add that to the depth of the HS fins. Screws should not be too long or they will bottom out before the fan is secure. My guess is that the screws are 18mm long, an M3 screw perhaps. But do measure first. Need a coarse threaded screw to bite into the aluminum Heat sink. Most ESC fans are mounted this way. It will hold just fine.
Center the Fan well enough over the HS and see where the fan holes line up in relation to thhe HS fins. Find the location that will accept 4 screws. Pilot the 4 screws evenly all around to start them. Then slowly and carefully drive them into the HS.:cool:
As for the Power connection, I don't see a pwr. port on this ESC. I don't have one of those. You must power the fan from the Receiver. This is fine.

Any update with your project? I’m looking forward to do the same.

I am doing the same thing on my mega granite 4 x 4. My wife works on computers and insist that there needs to be nearly a small space between the fan and the esc and also that the fan needs to be blowing outward, not towards esc.
I would love to hear opinions on this!

I am doing the same thing on my mega granite 4 x 4. My wife works on computers and insist that there needs to be nearly a small space between the fan and the esc and also that the fan needs to be blowing outward, not towards esc.
The heatsink itself provides sufficient space between fan and esc. Regarding direction, the fan should blow toward the ESC.

That being said, I do not recommend you going back to your wife and telling her she was wrong.

The heatsink itself provides sufficient space between fan and esc. Regarding direction, the fan should blow toward the ESC.

That being said, I do not recommend you going back to your wife and telling her she was wrong.
🤔 nah we have fun this way. We don’t argue about things we disagree on. We debate, one or both of us go research to find out the proper answer and share with the other.
That makes sense about the spacing. However, since she’s works on computers for decades she insists that the fan needs to suck away the heat, that’s how a heat sink works on computers. I’d love to find a technical explanation as to why on an RC car it should blow towards the heat sink. I have tried to Google that but ended up confused.
I’m going to try it both ways and measure the heat levels otherwise it’ll wake me up at night. Yup. Thanks!

🤔 nah we have fun this way. We don’t argue about things we disagree on. We debate, one or both of us go research to find out the proper answer and share with the other.
That makes sense about the spacing. However, since she’s works on computers for decades she insists that the fan needs to suck away the heat, that’s how a heat sink works on computers. I’d love to find a technical explanation as to why on an RC car it should blow towards the heat sink. I have tried to Google that but ended up confused.
I’m going to try it both ways and measure the heat levels otherwise it’ll wake me up at night. Yup. Thanks!
Why don’t you test both ways yourself? Sounds like a fun way to settle the debate.

Edit: oops. just saw the last line of your message.

Try this....the next time you are hot stand behind a fan with the air blowing away from you. Then stand in front of the fan with the air blowing on you. Which way cools you off better?

Try this....the next time you are hot stand behind a fan with the air blowing away from you. Then stand in front of the fan with the air blowing on you. Which way cools you off better?
Ok...I’ll try using that explication on my software engineer geek wife and see how it goes 🤣
Honestly I’m with the ‘blowing towards it’ method. But she stubbornly respects data so I’m doing some tests. All for fun. I love it.

Ok...I’ll try using that explication on my software engineer geek wife and see how it goes 🤣
Honestly I’m with the ‘blowing towards it’ method. But she stubbornly respects data so I’m doing some tests. All for fun. I love it.
Did you ever do the test? If so, we would love to hear what you came up with. I am sure with the fan facing towards heat since is the way to go, but you never know.

Your wife doesn't have to be wrong. RC cars are different than computers in that they move and have airflow moving through them. The heatsink spreads the heat across a larger surface area while the fan speeds up the airflow that is removing the heat from the heatsink. If an RC car didn't move, a fan blowing away from the heatsink would make more sense as you need a way to evacuate the hot air away from the heatsink. Hot air would not cool a heatsink no matter how fast you push it across the fins. With a steady supply of cool air from the RC car moving, the fan blowing towards the esc is more effective.

Last edited:
I don't think with that particular fan you would even be able to flip it over without the top spinning on the heat sink and ruining it lol

I don't think with that particular fan you would even be able to flip it over without the top spinning on the heat sink and ruining it lol
Thats exactly why the rc fans only work in one way. They have to much play when they are mountet upside down so they will grind the top of the heatsink and bust.

Did you ever do the test? If so, we would love to hear what you came up with. I am sure with the fan facing towards heat since is the way to go, but you never know.
No…life got in the way so didn’t bother testing.

I have the fans on all my Arrmas blowing towards the motor or esc and it is working fine. We’re in central Texas and run dust covers on the 3 blx models we have, which is a recipe for heat disaster if not for driving habits.

I found that rotating the cars often and letting them rest, fans running, is the best way to avoid overheating. We have 3 volteges also so they get use while the granite, vorteks and big rock rest. It works for us.

No…life got in the way so didn’t bother testing.

I have the fans on all my Arrmas blowing towards the motor or esc and it is working fine. We’re in central Texas and run dust covers on the 3 blx models we have, which is a recipe for heat disaster if not for driving habits.

I found that rotating the cars often and letting them rest, fans running, is the best way to avoid overheating. We have 3 volteges also so they get use while the granite, vorteks and big rock rest. It works for us.
Hey man, just be careful letting your fans run after running your trucks. I almost killed a battery that way. Let my fans run to cool everything off and battery voltage dropped so low that my charger wouldn't charge it back up. Had to put my charger in NiMH mode and monitor it constantly to get the voltage up high enough so that my charger would charge in Lipo mode.

Hey man, just be careful letting your fans run after running your trucks. I almost killed a battery that way. Let my fans run to cool everything off and battery voltage dropped so low that my charger wouldn't charge it back up. Had to put my charger in NiMH mode and monitor it constantly to get the voltage up high enough so that my charger would charge in Lipo mode.
I don’t run the fans afterwards, just during runs. All three of our 3s esc hit lvc around 3.4-3.5, after that I pull the batteries and rest the car. We manage to get out most days but rarely longer then an hour or two. My wife just can’t handle much now. We gotta be pretty careful…only 2 rounds of chemo left🤞

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back