Limitless Finding the 200 mph motor for the Limitless/Infraction GT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LibertyMKiii

Aerodynamics speed junkie
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Mojave
  3. Typhon 6s
Finding the 200 mph motor

Raz over the weekend posted up a video doing 192 mph with the 1721 motor (2400kv).
He was kind enough to send me a screen shot Saturday morning at 4:50am :eek:

A little about the 2400 kv..... This motor needs to build up extreme RPMs to run well and requires some gearing torque to help it out. Raz ran over 3000 ft with a long delay on the perfect pass to make this run happen. RPMs are in the 60-65k range. James McCoy on a 2100 ft road hit 180mph and noted the same 60-65k rpms needed.

Looking at gearing calculators you could go over 150mph with the GP5 diffs (2.8 ratio) using a 42t spur and a 25t pinion (assuming your car is up for it and batteries)
I know what you are thinking. That is very different gearing from what I am used to seeing/hearing on these cars! This brings me to the thought of gearing torque and the ideal motor to hit 200mph.

Lower KV has more torque and so do larger diameter motors. Along those lines longer length magnets and windings do the same too.
The question I keep going back to is which is better and where is a good balance between the two.

Taking this estimated Kt value at 500a gives us 530a*0.56Kt =296.8 Inch-Ounces of torque
1636384919109.png

Take a commonly used motor like a TP 5680 motor in a 1440kv the same 530a * 0.94Kt = 498.2 inch-Ounces of torque.
1636384894481.png

Clearly the lower KV motor produces a lot more torque but gearing is the equalizer. Which is the greater evil? KV torque loss or gearing torque loss?

If we compare the 2 setups with a goal of 190 mph for both and assume that both can have a voltage sag down to 27 volts (Raz had some custom very large batteries in his setup) .... lets compare the two:

1. Castle 1721 (2400kv)
296 in/oz tq
Geared for 190 mph at 27v and 530a (14.3kW)
Using a gearing calculator and assuming some slip/efficiency loss of around 10%-12% a Spur of 42t and Pinion of 33T would have the potential to net a 190mph pass.
This is a Final drive of 3.56

2. TP5680 motor (1440 kv)
498 in/oz tq
Geared for 190 mph at 27v and 530a (14.3 Kw)
Using a gearing calculator and assuming some slip/efficiency loss around 10%-12% a spur 29T and a Pinion of 38T would have the potential to net a 190 mph pass.
This is a final drive of 2.14

1636398036979.png

Notice how very different these setups are!?

So what comes next? I see 2 possible next steps....

1. Use a CM version with higher Kv of the TP56 series with a similar 2200-2500kv. Such a setup should net a higher torque from the larger diameter motor AND take advantage of the gearing torque.
2. Find a middle ground of something like 1700-2000kv and see what happens.

*** The problem is that most 56 and 58 series motors are 6-pole and the XLX2 does not handle "higher" KVs with 6-pole motors.

Last edited:
It is amazing that people are going to brake the long lasting speed record with limitless imagine what some one could do if they made a custom build. Nic Case did 202mph over 7 years ago with a custom build, I think if some one would do a custom build they could see 250+

It is amazing that people are going to brake the long lasting speed record with limitless imagine what some one could do if they made a custom build. Nic Case did 202mph over 7 years ago with a custom build, I think if some one would do a custom build they could see 250+
Yeah that would be crazy if someone did that today :whistle:

3rd partCapture.JPG

Primer 3 quarter view Capture.JPG

2Capture.JPG

O it was you, when I joined the Form I saw a photo of your build. Thows GRP's are not going to last long :ROFLMAO: also living in TX is going to make it way ez'er to find a straight long road all year around. well you live in Dallas so maybe not all year around.

O it was you, when I joined the Form I saw a photo of your build. Thows GRP's are not going to last long :ROFLMAO: also living in TX is going to make it way ez'er to find a straight long road all year around. well you live in Dallas so maybe not all year around.
GRPs wont go above 140mph.
I use them just while the car is in construction mode... When actually running it will be on BSR Purple foams.
(I don't want to damage/dirty up the expensive foams at this point.)

This car will only be used on an airport runway. Too much time and $$$ invested to crash it on a street or have it runover by a car.

Finding the 200 mph motor

Raz over the weekend posted up a video doing 192 mph with the 1721 motor (2400kv).
He was kind enough to send me a screen shot Saturday morning at 4:50am :eek:

A little about the 2400 kv..... This motor needs to build up extreme RPMs to run well and requires some gearing torque to help it out. Raz ran over 3000 ft with a long delay on the perfect pass to make this run happen. RPMs are in the 60-65k range. James McCoy on a 2100 ft road hit 180mph and noted the same 60-65k rpms needed.

Looking at gearing calculators you could go over 150mph with the GP5 diffs (2.8 ratio) using a 42t spur and a 25t pinion (assuming your car is up for it and batteries)
I know what you are thinking. That is very different gearing from what I am used to seeing/hearing on these cars! This brings me to the thought of gearing torque and the ideal motor to hit 200mph.

Lower KV has more torque and so do larger diameter motors. Along those lines longer length magnets and windings do the same too.
The question I keep going back to is which is better and where is a good balance between the two.

Taking this estimated Kt value at 500a gives us 530a*0.56Kt =296.8 Inch-Ounces of torque
View attachment 178851

Take a commonly used motor like a TP 5680 motor in a 1440kv the same 530a * 0.94Kt = 498.2 inch-Ounces of torque.
View attachment 178850

Clearly the lower KV motor produces a lot more torque but gearing is the equalizer. Which is the greater evil? KV torque loss or gearing torque loss?

If we compare the 2 setups with a goal of 190 mph for both and assume that both can have a voltage sag down to 27 volts (Raz had some custom very large batteries in his setup) .... lets compare the two:

1. Castle 1721 (2400kv)
296 in/oz tq
Geared for 190 mph at 27v and 530a (14.3kW)
Using a gearing calculator and assuming some slip/efficiency loss of around 10%-12% a Spur of 42t and Pinion of 33T would have the potential to net a 190mph pass.
This is a Final drive of 3.56

2. TP5680 motor (1440 kv)
498 in/oz tq
Geared for 190 mph at 27v and 530a (14.3 Kw)
Using a gearing calculator and assuming some slip/efficiency loss around 10%-12% a spur 29T and a Pinion of 38T would have the potential to net a 190 mph pass.
This is a final drive of 2.14

View attachment 178887

Notice how very different these setups are!?

So what comes next? I see 2 possible next steps....

1. Use a CM version with higher Kv of the TP56 series with a similar 2200-2500kv. Such a setup should net a higher torque from the larger diameter motor AND take advantage of the gearing torque.
2. Find a middle ground of something like 1700-2000kv and see what happens.

*** The problem is that most 56 and 58 series motors are 6-pole and the XLX2 does not handle "higher" KVs with 6-pole motors.
Your knowledge is incredible! Everything is so detailed and thought out.

Your knowledge is incredible! Everything is so detailed and thought out.
Thanks! Sadly the details are not truly correct, but I hope to inspire some thinking about the why and how everything works.

The torque values are not correct as the Kt value I borrowed from a website calculator does not take into consideration the motor size difference. The 5680 would have a higher torque most likely than what I had depicted there. With that said it still paints a picture of gearing torque vs motor torque and the different approaches to reach the same speed.

Given that the XLX2 currently does not like higher KV 6 pole motors, the best scenario I can think of would be to re-wind the Castle 2028 for higher KV. Re-winding a motor is something I have always been curious about. It is fairly common with small drone brushless motors, but I never see it done with in-runner motors like we have.

I suspect that is an un-tapped market that could be a good side business for someone that has the time and skills.

These top speed runners really want a 2028 motor with 1700+Kv
Maybe one day Castle will make one (y)

I think that the XLX2 on 8s will perform better than the 12s in Nic car.

I agree!
Nic stated they were outputting near 12 horsepower where we have seen the XLX2 output over 20 horsepower.
We also know that LiPo performance has improved since his speed run.

I agree!
Nic stated they were outputting near 12 horsepower where we have seen the XLX2 output over 20 horsepower.
We also know that LiPo performance has improved since his speed run.
Any idea what his voltage sag was on that 12S setup? What was the length of his record pass?

Any idea what his voltage sag was on that 12S setup? What was the length of his record pass?
Never seen details on that, but it was 5000 mAh lipos in series and this was before the graphene era. We can expect they would perform like 20-30c (true C-ratings) batteries that we have today. I would suspect given Castle being a sponsor they may have removed amperage limiting from the ESC to help him out. Some of those details we may never know...

For the run length it was a very long airport in Southern Utah. Based on what we know for amperage sag and how a 200mph car covers almost 300ft per second I would venture to say 3000 ft was the minimum.

Going to be honest, I think you may be over thinking your motor choice. We have seen the XLX2 output more than double the power (see Peter's datalogs) Nic Case required to reach his record. I am fairly confident the rules of thumb for the mid-level speedruns around 140-150mph still hold true, especially since we aren't at Mach: power isn't as big an issue as aerodynamics and suspension setup.

I would be willing to bet any TP or Castle big block (56XX or 2028) with reasonable KV (1100-1700) would push you beyond the record if your aerodynamics hold true to calculations.

Where did you get your gears and your belt? and if you don't mind me asking, how is the Steering set up?
I still need to finish the steering setup. It will most likely have an Arrma 6s EXB servo mount and then two tie rods that connect to each side.
The belts and pulleys came from McMaster Carr. The belt is made by Gates.

This is a great resource if you want to build something belt drive: https://sdp-si.com/eStore/CenterDistanceDesigner

I still need to finish the steering setup. It will most likely have an Arrma 6s EXB servo mount and then two tie rods that connect to each side.
The belts and pulleys came from McMaster Carr. The belt is made by Gates.

This is a great resource if you want to build something belt drive: https://sdp-si.com/eStore/CenterDistanceDesigner
Thank you so much. I want to sell my Felony when I get it to 130 and then I want to build a custom build.

You must keep in mind while designing your vehicle that there is a physics term known as 'power to weight ratio'. I cannot overemphasize this factor as it plays an extremely important part in what is the top speed of any vehicle. Simply put the equation for PTWR is: power-to-weight ratio = power / weight. No, armed with that dangerous information, let's make it simpler to understand.
Take a paper airplane. Now strap a 5 Liter Hemi engine to it. (if you could).. The engine would shred the paper airplane apart.
So, when you increase power, you must increase mass. After all E-Mc2.
Point it you are limited in speed when you factor in power and mass.

You must keep in mind while designing your vehicle that there is a physics term known as 'power to weight ratio'. I cannot overemphasize this factor as it plays an extremely important part in what is the top speed of any vehicle. Simply put the equation for PTWR is: power-to-weight ratio = power / weight. No, armed with that dangerous information, let's make it simpler to understand.
Take a paper airplane. Now strap a 5 Liter Hemi engine to it. (if you could).. The engine would shred the paper airplane apart.
So, when you increase power, you must increase mass. After all E-Mc2.
Point it you are limited in speed when you factor in power and mass.

Land speed record cars seem to almost ignore curb weight in trade off for optimal design shape and ultimate power!
First two are fuel jet cars, but still crazy fueled curb weight they have.

763 mph - ThrustSSC - 23,336 lbs
628 mph - Bloudhouse LSR - 14,158 lbs
C5 Corvette Z06 - 3,116 lbs

But as you said the power to weight ratio is key. That corvette has a power to weight ratio of 7.69 lbs to 1 hp. Typically anything around 10:1 or lower is alot of fun.

I rode in a car with a power to weight ratio of 4.11 and it was scary as hell!

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back