Senton First attempt to combat sloppy steering.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clan-of-Nowina

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Senton 3s
So, I have a problem. Front tires were very sloppy. The truck couldn’t go more that 20 or so yards on a hard surface without flipping. Decided to take it apart and have a look. No real issues with the tires, so what now. Made the decision to try install the steel ball joints into the turnbuckle arms to start. Went easy enough. Pliers were used to press out the old and install the new. No modification needed. Went right in. Reassembled it. Noticed if one tire is straight, the other isn’t. Time to do an alignment. Interesting learning curve there, but managed to get it much better than it was. Happy with what I did, but know I want it better than it is. Advise as to the next move would be appreciated.
IMG_9986.jpeg
IMG_9988.jpeg
IMG_0025.jpeg

Noticed if one tire is straight, the other isn’t. Time to do an alignment.
This is by design. The front is supposed to have toe to keep the car on a straight line. It's counterintuitive but a little bit of toe out on the front is recommended to help keep the car going straight. Pretty much every off road r/c car will ship from factory with toe out on the front, and toe in on the rear.

1710351493635.png

Both wheels will not be “straight” or parallel with each other. If you look from the top down at the Senton, the rear wheels are slightly towed in and the fronts slightly towed out. This is from factory to help with straight line stability.

Have you cut any vent holes in the Senton body? That will help with the ballooning up on the front end and keep the body down.

Reset the wheels. Figured out the venting thing. Low the front body mount to its lowest, so one position down. Will vent the body Friday, tool incoming. I’m a neat freak, so cutting into the body is not happening. Will ream holes into the body in several front and rear locations. Will post when done.

IMG_0028.jpeg
IMG_0027.jpeg
IMG_0026.jpeg

Sooooo, got the reamer. These are the initial holes I made for venting. I’m a bit ocd so I couldn’t bear cutting into the body. Cut 2 holes off center and that will bother me. I can increase number of holes and make them larger. Just looking to be able to use it in the yard as a first test. Will adjust as neede.

Thanks,

Robert

RC won’t go 20 yards without flipping on a hard surface? Are we talking about when turning or just going straight?

Either way, minor tuning tweaks are not going to make a huge difference. We’re not talking about fine tuning performance. You’re saying you can’t drive without flipping over.

The number one factor in rollover while turning is tires. The wrong tires for the surface can roll like crazy. The main tuning to prevent rollover while turning is front suspension stiffness, rear suspension stiffness should complement the front.

If you really can’t drive without flipping, either something is completely cracked/broken/seized or you are simply driving past the limits of your current setup.

Last edited:
RC won’t go 20 yards without flipping on a hard surface? Are we talking about when turning or just going straight?

Either way, minor tuning tweaks are not going to make a huge difference. We’re not talking about fine tuning performance. You’re saying you can’t drive without flipping over.

The number one factor in rollover while turning is tires. The wrong tires for the surface can roll like crazy. The main tuning to prevent rollover while turning is front suspension stiffness, rear suspension stiffness should complement the front.

If you really can’t drive without flipping, either something is completely cracked/broken/seized or you are simply driving past the limits of your current setup.
Thank you for the input. This is a brand new Senton that my boy and I share. We are both new to this. As stated in this thread, I have vented the body. Made a lot of difference when using the 7.4V 2C battery. When we installed the 11.1V 3S, well we still had issues. Mind you that this is at 50% setting for both batteries. But understand, this is just in my after winter yard. I still have to test to see if the venting helps on hard pavement. I’m pleased with the venting results so far. I do know I need to learn much more about this hobby. I check and read a lot of the threads here for as much info as I can get.

Thanks again,
Robert

I have a 3s Senton. I adjusted the toe out on the front little more inward. Still has toe out, but I brought it in some. It helped with steering & straight line acceleration. Doesn't 'flip' as much. No fish tailing in a straight line.

Back