Flat pistons vs tapered pistons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surchaufeur

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Nero
  4. Notorious
What are the advantages of tapered pistons for a basher? I know m2c made something similar. Opened my shocks after a year of use and i have been thinking about an upgrade

Tapered pistons have one tapered side. Mounted tapered side face UP onto the shaft makes for faster compression. Reversed facing Down, makes for faster compression strokes. Its your choice what benefits you best, faced up or down.
The Taper is rarely on both sides. Has no advantage or disadvantage.
Tapered pistons if the same hole size as the Original pistons, wont need an oil weight change necessarily. But that is subjective to how you want them.
Edited.

Last edited:
Tapered pistons have one tapered side. Mounted tapered side face UP onto the shaft makes for faster compression. Reversed facing Down, makes for faster compression strokes. Its your choice what benefits you best, faced up or down.
The Taper is rarely on both sides. Has no advantage or disadvantage.
Tapered pistons if the same hole size as the Original pistons, wont need an oil weight change necessarily. But that is subjective to how you want them.
Edited.
I just want better handling offroad in general. Seems facing down if i understood means a more reactive suspension on rough terrain
Its on back order oh boy i think ima just stick with what i have

Yeah, if you are referring to the TLR POM (Delrin) pistons of the TLRT shocks, every single TLR branded part is on B/O. I don't even think they listed prices yet last I checked. Just the part numbers.

Just to reiterate my above explanation,
>Tapered faced up=faster Compression stroke
>Tapered faced down= faster Rebound stroke ( distinct off road advantage)

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back