Fridge or no Fridge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RekordX

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 3s
Hello Guys,

I would like to ask your opinion/experience about one thing. And its storing your Lipos in the fridge. I know its kinda controversial topic.

I am new to the Hobby and spent my past couple weeks, day in day out learning, reading articles, watching what to and what no to videos when it comes to Lipo handling.

I live in a house and one of my biggest concern is the only place I can store my Lipo is a tiny small storage room filled with all kind of various household stuff with no windows, but ceramic tiles on the floor. That's the place where my lipo is resting (on storage volt), in a lipo bag placed in and ammo can (side seals removed). Wish I had basement and a garage but I don't. I have a plastic shed outside but temp in there during summer can be crazy hot.

But in my storage room there is a mini fridge, operating between +5C and +10C. I could easily place my Lipo in there. I wouldn’t do this to prolong its life it would just give me a bit more peace of mind that my Lipos are chilled and separated from anything else. As my storage room is busy I can’t make enough place to separate the ammo can 1 meter from all the stuff. I read somewhere if the battery maintained at cold temperature the gas pressure cannot build up.

I see there are two groups of people out there. The one who swear storing lipos in fridge even for so many years never caused any issue for them and the one who states Lipos should never stored in a fridge due to inside condensation. Catching fire etc etc

I mostly play only the weekends. I only have one Lipo battery so far and its a 2s gensacearespammers Hard Case. I would put it in Zip-Lock bag + Airtight food container on storage volt, going in the fridge and once take it out wait to warm up on room temp and then opening the Container and Zip Lock bag. Some say the condensation will happen inside the packs anyway.

What is the truth behind this? Will this really happen even if I had hard Case Packs?

I have a wife and a kid. I always take precautions, follow all safety rules, charging only outside, checking battery temp, voltage and IR every week, inspecting and baby my battery all the time. I know Lipos at storage volts less likely to go up but I am still not calm when I need to leave my house for days or weeks. Maybe the fridge solution would give me another layer of confidence.

I am still super scared of fire and smoke damage in the House. My wife said if anything happen that will lead to a divorce instantly.. hahaha. 😊

Thanks
Peter

I think your 2s LiPo , stored in a LiPo bag and then placed in a vented ammo can at storage charge would prevent anything terrible from happening even in a worst case scenario. It would stink your house up, but would burn itself out in a well controlled containment. It wouldn’t explode your ammo can in a big ball of fire or something.
I don’t know how detrimental internal condensation would be in a battery (but I certainly can’t imagine it would be good) but any object taken from a refrigerator and brought into room temperature will result in condensation. Especially if you live in a humid area. I just wouldn’t even consider it.
It’s great to see a newcomer to the hobby taking such care and learning what they need to know about LiPo safety, so good for you. You’re doing the right thing, but you may be overthinking this just a tad, IMO.
Welcome to the forum, man!

I don’t store mine in the refrigerator. However, I do have them in an ammo can. It does sound as if you’re taking all the right precautions and it appears that you’re the safest person with Lipo handling that I’ve ever heard of which is probably not a bad thing, I’ve not had a lot of bad experiences with Lipo’s. The only time mine have ever flared up is if I wreck severely and break the cells open or spike the cell to kill it for disposal.

You've taken all the necessary steps to insure the Lipos are stable and in safe condition.

No, do Not store them in a frig.

If anything you can get some old floor tiles (ceramic), cut them to size and line your ammo can for Extra fire protection.
👍

Personally, I think you've done sufficient to mitigate concerns. Unfortunately, random lipo fires are not something you can always predict. But I would say the risk of a catastrophic failure like that is pretty low if you maintain and treat your lipos well.

I don't think i've ever heard of a chilled lipos being less volatile or less risky than a room temperature one? The only principles I would maintain for storing lipos is 1) containing, and 2) limiting heat transfer. Sounds like you've done both.

If you are concerned, you could also pick up a fire extinguisher rated for lipos and leave it nearby the ammo can if something were to happen.

Hello Guys,

I would like to ask your opinion/experience about one thing. And its storing your Lipos in the fridge. I know its kinda controversial topic.

I am new to the Hobby and spent my past couple weeks, day in day out learning, reading articles, watching what to and what no to videos when it comes to Lipo handling.

I live in a house and one of my biggest concern is the only place I can store my Lipo is a tiny small storage room filled with all kind of various household stuff with no windows, but ceramic tiles on the floor. That's the place where my lipo is resting (on storage volt), in a lipo bag placed in and ammo can (side seals removed). Wish I had basement and a garage but I don't. I have a plastic shed outside but temp in there during summer can be crazy hot.

But in my storage room there is a mini fridge, operating between +5C and +10C. I could easily place my Lipo in there. I wouldn’t do this to prolong its life it would just give me a bit more peace of mind that my Lipos are chilled and separated from anything else. As my storage room is busy I can’t make enough place to separate the ammo can 1 meter from all the stuff. I read somewhere if the battery maintained at cold temperature the gas pressure cannot build up.

I see there are two groups of people out there. The one who swear storing lipos in fridge even for so many years never caused any issue for them and the one who states Lipos should never stored in a fridge due to inside condensation. Catching fire etc etc

I mostly play only the weekends. I only have one Lipo battery so far and its a 2s gensacearespammers Hard Case. I would put it in Zip-Lock bag + Airtight food container on storage volt, going in the fridge and once take it out wait to warm up on room temp and then opening the Container and Zip Lock bag. Some say the condensation will happen inside the packs anyway.

What is the truth behind this? Will this really happen even if I had hard Case Packs?

I have a wife and a kid. I always take precautions, follow all safety rules, charging only outside, checking battery temp, voltage and IR every week, inspecting and baby my battery all the time. I know Lipos at storage volts less likely to go up but I am still not calm when I need to leave my house for days or weeks. Maybe the fridge solution would give me another layer of confidence.

I am still super scared of fire and smoke damage in the House. My wife said if anything happen that will lead to a divorce instantly.. hahaha. 😊

Thanks
Peter
Man, I was there with you 15yrs ago when I got my first Electric/Lipo car. I think that others here have given you solid advice, based on combined decades of experience.
That last sentence tho.....tuck that one in the back pocket, never know when you might want to use that!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I think your 2s LiPo , stored in a LiPo bag and then placed in a vented ammo can at storage charge would prevent anything terrible from happening even in a worst case scenario. It would stink your house up, but would burn itself out in a well controlled containment. It wouldn’t explode your ammo can in a big ball of fire or something.
I don’t know how detrimental internal condensation would be in a battery (but I certainly can’t imagine it would be good) but any object taken from a refrigerator and brought into room temperature will result in condensation. Especially if you live in a humid area. I just wouldn’t even consider it.
It’s great to see a newcomer to the hobby taking such care and learning what they need to know about LiPo safety, so good for you. You’re doing the right thing, but you may be overthinking this just a tad, IMO.
Welcome to the forum, man!

In this case it will stay on room temp and wont risk the fridge. In the beginning I plan to have 2x 2s Packs only. I don't have much time and I am not a crazy Basher either. Or not yet... :D

Thank you Dan and thanks Everyone!

I have thought about the Lipo danger factor every time I go into my LHS and they do have hundreds of Lipos sitting in the cases and on shelves. They don't seem too worried.... Ill have to ask him next time how he handles that much volume; storage, expiration dates, etc.

I have thought about the Lipo danger factor every time I go into my LHS and they do have hundreds of Lipos sitting in the cases and on shelves. They don't seem too worried.... Ill have to ask him next time how he handles that much volume; storage, expiration dates, etc.
The funny things is... well I am not sure if this funny at all tho.. but my neighbour got an RC too. In January before I bought my very first RC the Senton 3S I asked the Guy how does he store his Lipo battery.?

He was like its in my rig in my garage (garage is built with the house), but power cable unplugged. I asked him if any Lipo Bag or Ammo case used? He said: Nah....

I said okay thanks for your suggestions...:oops: And as far as I know the Guy is working for a Power Company so he must know something about electricity....

I don't and I am overcautios..:eek:

Last edited:
Back