Typhon Gearing question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshludden

Thai guy in Iowa
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Typhon 6s
Hello my arrma peeps & happy July 4th!! I'm running a max6 4985 1650kv hobbywing combo w/ an 18t pinion on my m2ced out typhon & would like to start gearing up. I have a 46t spur gear that I'm going to put on & was wondering where I should start with pinion gearing. Would I be able to go up to a 20t for grass/gravel bashing & jumping? As it sits now I'm only seeing 130° motor & esc temps w/ 2 40mm fans. Thanks in advance for any suggestions 👍

I run 23/44 on my 1717 with bigger tires and no fans (cold weather). Although admittedly it is too much. I don't think motor power will be your issue going forward so you can probably stick as big of a gear as you want.

I'd work it down the other way, decide on a top speed and make sure the rest of the rig is setup for that type of running.

I noticed most off Road buggy wheels/tires don't really like 100kp/h+ speeds.

Have fun 😁

I run 23/44 on my 1717 with bigger tires and no fans (cold weather). Although admittedly it is too much. I don't think motor power will be your issue going forward so you can probably stick as big of a gear as you want.

I'd work it down the other way, decide on a top speed and make sure the rest of the rig is setup for that type of running.

I noticed most off Road buggy wheels/tires don't really like 100kp/h+ speeds.

Have fun 😁
Thanks man! It's time for me to check all 3 diffs anyway so I think I'll start w/ the 20t/46t when I get to the middle

Depending on your weather. And with the hobbywing 1650kv. 20t/24t. Since you are at 18t and running 130s. Just play it safe. I don't run above 140/150s in my mmx8s 1650kv setup even in 90* weather. I'm geared 24/50. I'm assuming that the typhoon weight near the kraton with the m2c stuff. If not a tad heavier.

Depending on your weather. And with the hobbywing 1650kv. 20t/24t. Since you are at 18t and running 130s. Just play it safe. I don't run above 140/150s in my mmx8s 1650kv setup even in 90* weather. I'm geared 24/50. I'm assuming that the typhoon weight near the kraton with the m2c stuff. If not a tad heavier.
Yeah temps are a tricky thing. Buddy at the track his motor is always 165f-168f after a race (Maclan brand motor). I think that's a bit hot, and must be hotter inside, but that thing has lasted for years...way more use than most bashers on here get. But it's also American made parts.

I don't let it go over 160f on the outside but luckily the castle stays cool and never breaks 150f

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back