Kraton Center Dogbone Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreatWhiteDope

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow Arrma bashers, have a question regarding my 2 center driveshaft dogbones. Was doing some maintenance yesterday and noticed something off.
On the ends where they stick into your input shafts, all 4 of mine were severed in half. At first I thought they were supposed to be like that until i looked at some online. What the hell would cause this? I’m going to throw some replacements in, would like to prevent from happening again if possible.

IMG_2290.jpeg

That's normal wear. The more aggressive you are on power (and high punch setting) the faster those pins and drive cups will wear. I'd rotate those dogbones, that way you can use them a bit longer (even wear on both sides of the pins). Just for clarification; the dogbone end that is currently in your rear drive cup will then be in your center diff cup.

That's normal wear. The more aggressive you are on power (and high punch setting) the faster those pins and drive cups will wear. I'd rotate those dogbones, that way you can use them a bit longer (even wear on both sides of the pins). Just for clarification; the dogbone end that is currently in your rear drive cup will then be in your center diff cup.
Ohhh ok that makes sense thank you for the clarification. And yes all 4 on both are very evenly worn down. Partly why I thought they were made that way at first haha

Normal wear and tear.. goes with the territory of being an overpowered rc operating in a harsh environment, I feel.
Since the pin in the dogbones are round, they wear faster initially, then as they get closer to the center of the pin, like yours pictured, the wear rate slows for a while since the contact surface is at its greatest.. once it gets past half way worn through, wear accelerates again, order spares at that time I say.
The pins are replaceable, not sure it's worth it though myself. There's a thread on the matter here somewhere.

Normal wear and tear.. goes with the territory of being an overpowered rc operating in a harsh environment, I feel.
Since the pin in the dogbones are round, they wear faster initially, then as they get closer to the center of the pin, like yours pictured, the wear rate slows for a while since the contact surface is at its greatest.. once it gets past half way worn through, wear accelerates again, order spares at that time I say.
The pins are replaceable, not sure it's worth it though myself. There's a thread on the matter here somewhere.
interesting, thanks for the break down man. Fortunately i had ordered a spare dogbone set from Jenny’s a while back. Used all except for the center ones so good to go there.
You guys think it’d be worth upgrading to a Titanium set? Or maybe an m2c set ?

interesting, thanks for the break down man. Fortunately i had ordered a spare dogbone set from Jenny’s a while back. Used all except for the center ones so good to go there.
You guys think it’d be worth upgrading to a Titanium set? Or maybe an m2c set ?
If you're not bending or breaking them, I'd stick with stock. Usually folks who break them go to aftermarket upgrades.. I'm not convinced the titanium is much, if any better in terms of strength. Lighter for sure, and much more expensive.

I suppose if style points are important titanium is worth it. I don't go for bling, but to each their own of course. ✌️

Wow, pictures like that really put into perspective how much stress and abuse the parts in these rigs have to constantly deal with.
Yeah, my K6S pins are nearly worn through on the center shafts, cvd and rear dogbones are still pretty healthy after 2+ years. On my Mojave I replaced them since I was sure the center shafts would give up "any day now.."

Well, the center ones I haven’t broken yet. But my front dogbones I’ve bent 3, and snapped one clean in half yesterday. I have replacements from M2C coming in today.
Suppose I’ll use my spare centers from Jenny’s for now and contemplate some replacements

IMG_2289.jpeg

Wow, pictures like that really put into perspective how much stress and abuse the parts in these rigs have to constantly deal with.
No kidding man! And the rig is only 3 months old 🤣

Well, the center ones I haven’t broken yet. But my front dogbones I’ve bent 3, and snapped one clean in half yesterday. I have replacements from M2C coming in today.
Suppose I’ll use my spare centers from Jenny’s for now and contemplate some replacements

View attachment 355955

No kidding man! And the rig is only 3 months old 🤣
Ah, I see it now. Those tires are really rough on the drivetrain. No way around it. Heavy AF, and mucho grip will do it. In which case, you "might" need some drivetrain upgrades.. goes with the territory. Diffs up next..

Ah, I see it now. Those tires are really rough on the drivetrain. No way around it. Heavy AF, and mucho grip will do it. In which case, you "might" need some drivetrain upgrades.. goes with the territory. Diffs up next..
Starting to learn that haha. Parts that I’ve broken multiple times I’ve upgraded. Most others I’ve just replaced with stock. Those tires are beefs for sure. I love them!

IMG_2283.jpeg

Starting to learn that haha. Parts that I’ve broken multiple times I’ve upgraded. Most others I’ve just replaced with stock. Those tires are beefs for sure. I love them!

View attachment 355957
Sweet truck! I see you installed RPM uppers w/stock lower arms, good call. Many don't understand the rabbit hole they're getting into when they jump into these things.. seems you've got a good grasp. Enjoy!!

Sweet truck! I see you installed RPM uppers w/stock lower arms, good call. Many don't understand the rabbit hole they're getting into when they jump into these things.. seems you've got a good grasp. Enjoy!!
Thanks bro! It’s been a huge trial and error learning curve. Only been in this hobby since early January 🤣 but I’m head over heels for it.
And since I swapped to that specific an arm setup I haven’t broke one. Seems to be working

Those much heavier tires aren't promoting longevity for bearings and bones... Surprised you haven't been through inner hub bearings every other bash, but I see you have alloy installed and HR might use a larger OD.

Upper RPM arms 👌

Those much heavier tires aren't promoting longevity for bearings and bones... Surprised you haven't been through inner hub bearings every other bash, but I see you have alloy installed and HR might use a larger OD.

Upper RPM arms 👌
Well, can’t speak too soon. Only been thru 1 bash with those tires.
But yeah that’s the M2C hinge retainer kit. I had snapped and bent atleast 12 sets of hinge pins then finally decided to upgrade. And those HR hubs are awesome, easily eliminated the wheel play.

Well, can’t speak too soon. Only been thru 1 bash with those tires.
But yeah that’s the M2C hinge retainer kit. I had snapped and bent atleast 12 sets of hinge pins then finally decided to upgrade. And those HR hubs are awesome, easily eliminated the wheel play.
Yeah, larger hub bearings are a must for beefcake wheels and tires like those.. or, buy bearings by the dozen, LOL. Gets old quick though replacing hub bearings.

Here’s a quick pic of my favorite K6 setup. Wide as hell on some proline street fighters with 18T pinion.

IMG_2136.jpeg

Yeah, larger hub bearings are a must for beefcake wheels and tires like those.. or, buy bearings by the dozen, LOL. Gets old quick though replacing hub bearings.
I had got a set of the fast eddys bearings. Might be why I haven’t busted a bearing just yet, on the Kraton anyways. My fireteam has busted 4 bearing on the other hand tho

Here’s a quick pic of my favorite K6 setup. Wide as hell on some proline street fighters with 18T pinion.

View attachment 355958

I had got a set of the fast eddys bearings. Might be why I haven’t busted a bearing just yet, on the Kraton anyways. My fireteam has busted 4 bearing on the other hand tho
I use TRB RC ABEC 7 hybrid ceramic bearings for the wheel bearings of most all of my 6s vehicles (two Arrmas and two Corallys). They aren't cheap, but they are higher quality (tighter tolerances) and less likely to get damaged by water. I'm not hard on my 6s vehicles, but if required, I will replace the stock bearings in the drivetrain with hybrid ceramic bearings.

I use TRB RC ABEC 7 hybrid ceramic bearings for the wheel bearings of most all of my 6s vehicles (two Arrmas and two Corallys). They aren't cheap, but they are higher quality (tighter tolerances) and less likely to get damaged by water. I'm not hard on my 6s vehicles, but if required, I will replace the stock bearings in the drivetrain with hybrid ceramic bearings.
I’ve seen a few people mention those, definitely expensive. But being reputable & expensive they’ve got to be good 👍

Back