GoPro 7 Black

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate to be critical here but all of those parts are pretty cheap quality. They are Banggood specials if you will. But to each his own. I’m not positive, but I think I could build that rig for way less than $1500. And warranties aren’t generally less than 3 years on most quality PC parts anyways. I would have to add up my parts but I feel like I spent about that much or less for my i9-9900k 32GB 1TB Samsung Pro m.2 nVidia 1660 GTX 4TB WD Red storage 750 Corsair PSU Fractal Meshify tower Noctua fans, etc.

Don’t start and stop filming. You might miss something. Just cut it down later in post. ??
haha which parts do you mean? I know you think I'm just starting out here and new but can you be specific?

haha which parts do you mean? I know you think I'm just starting out here and new but can you be specific?
AMD CPUs, not a fan unless it’s a Threadripper

MSI motherboards, I’ve had lots of bad luck with them

The video card, they don’t even list the brand. The specs are fine tho

The case is decent looking but I’ve never had my hands on one. Hard to tell case quality from pics.

Never heard of the SSD or PSU brands and I really despise Seagate HDDs. Have had way more Seagates die than WD and have used 1000x more WDs.

This seems like a budget gamer build, which I wouldn’t trust to be very stable tbh. I would rather have a corporate Dell and toss in a graphics card. At least the mobo, ram, and psu would be solid.

@jondilly1974 what do you think is my 2009 iMac gonna
Good info! I’m working with a 2009 27” iMac w/1 TB HD. Pretty sure I added more ram so it has 12gigs now??? Can’t remember. Not sure if this is gonna cut it? When I got my gopro the first few vids I shot, I didn’t quite know what I was doing (still kinda don’t) ? I was shooting in 4K but it was using to much memory on the card. Now I have it set to 1080p 60fps. Way less taxing on the card. Usually I record a hole session at a time, so they end up 10-15 min long. Probably a good idea to start and stop more often for shorter vids. I’ll probably try and upload more vids to iMovie again soon. We’ll see what happens ???
@jondilly1974 what do you think... is my 2009 iMac powerful enough to do what I’m trying to do?
Sorry it did kind of a double post.

When I edit 1080p 240 fps video on my 6 year old laptop the audio is out of sync. 120fps is fine. So is 4k. That's the only issue I've had with editing on an old machine.

AMD CPUs, not a fan unless it’s a Threadripper

MSI motherboards, I’ve had lots of bad luck with them

The video card, they don’t even list the brand. The specs are fine tho

The case is decent looking but I’ve never had my hands on one. Hard to tell case quality from pics.

Never heard of the SSD or PSU brands and I really despise Seagate HDDs. Have had way more Seagates die than WD and have used 1000x more WDs.

This seems like a budget gamer build, which I wouldn’t trust to be very stable tbh. I would rather have a corporate Dell and toss in a graphics card. At least the mobo, ram, and psu would be solid.

I normally wouldn't consider AMD at all because I'm old and only have intel previous but I have friends that are very happy with Ryzen. Still up in the air but just trying to save money. Threadripper would cost me dearly and totally unnecessary.
I don't have to have MSI at all. I'm on ASUS Z97m+ right now and could easily switch to a different brand.
Word is that the vid card could be Zotac and my current Zotac 980 is excellent. I doubt I'd ever consider Team Red because again, I'm old .
Case doesn't matter to me at all as long as I have enough storage in there from the start. I decided already that I'm not gonna upgrade anything down the road or I'd do that with the rig I'm on now. Leds and all that bling don't matter and only there because they're free.
HDs I could could change brands as well and for the small cost probably will. EVO across the board is only about 70 bucks more total. I could spend more than that on dinner tonight.

Essentially with three years parts and labor warranty, I'm good. If it takes a dump after that I'll just buy something new. No big deal.
I'm out of the loop and not stuck in my ways but opened minded enough to research brands I normally wouldn't consider. Younger guys tell me they're pumped about Ryzen performance for gaming and cost control.

I could also save money and buy this and stick another fat ssd in there for video files and Cyberpunk 2077 when it comes out.
https://www.newegg.com/abs-mage-h-ali356/p/N82E16883102855?reviews=all

When I edit 1080p 240 fps video on my 6 year old laptop the audio is out of sync. 120fps is fine. So is 4k. That's the only issue I've had with editing on an old machine.

Have you looked for a fix or is 240fps editing not as important for your videos? Seems like I read about that somewhere but can't find anything right away.

@jondilly1974 what do you think is my 2009 iMac gonna

@jondilly1974 what do you think... is my 2009 iMac powerful enough to do what I’m trying to do?
Sorry it did kind of a double post.
You didn’t say what specs your iMac has?

Have you looked for a fix or is 240fps editing not as important for your videos? Seems like I read about that somewhere but can't find anything right away.
I believe the issue here is HEVC / H.265 again. It uses a lot more CPU power to decode/recode the video. The GoPro probably uses H.264 up to 1080/120. Above that it uses H.265 for 1080/240 or any 4K.

You didn’t say what specs your iMac has?

I believe the issue here is HEVC / H.265 again. It uses a lot more CPU power to decode/recode the video. The GoPro probably uses H.264 up to 1080/120. Above that it uses H.265 for 1080/240 or any 4K.

4k/30 uses H.264 so makes sense if he's recording in 30fps. At 60fps it does use H.265
I thought it was strange that it worked in 4k but it apparently all comes down to frame rate.
At least there is an option and conversion available with HandBrake if we record in 265 and find that our machine can't edit it.
I want simple (no converting) so because I'm on a Devil's Canyon processor now, I'm just gonna buy a new computer and start fresh.

Here are the details of when and where h.264 vs h.265
https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/hevc

I always shoot in 240 fps. I just got used to editing with the sound out of sync.

I always shoot in 240 fps. I just got used to editing with the sound out of sync.
hmm. I'm working on one now just for funny stuff and still too slow to get detailed edits or know how to fix out of sync audio. Plus my computer is hanging up with more and more stuff on the timeline. I can do it as is but I'm really trying hard to have an excuse to get a new rig very soon.

Ok, I just tried again with a shorter video. I got it to up load to iMovie just fine and it plays (kinda) but lags bad! If I pause the video and play again the first 1/2 second is fine, then it begins to lag immediately ? The video was shot in 1080p at 60fps.
So..... here are my iMac specs, sorry for the ? photos.
3845C1B8-F949-4915-907E-706836D3D808.jpeg
6D456395-6156-414E-BD5E-CE6F86A01F61.jpeg
5F2B8366-52A9-43A5-80EF-D4B17FFD7D13.jpeg

Is this thing too old and slow ?
If I constantly click pause/play it’s almost watchable. Do I just need more ram?

Last edited:
Ok, I just tried again with a shorter video. I got it to up load to iMovie just fine and it plays (kinda) but lags bad! If I pause the video and play again the first 1/2 second is fine, then it begins to lag immediately ? The video was shot in 1080p at 60fps.
So..... here are my iMac specs, sorry for the ? photos. View attachment 53929View attachment 53930View attachment 53931
Is this thing too old and slow ?
If I constantly click pause/play it’s almost watchable. Do I just need more ram?
Hahahahahhahahaah Core2Duo ????

Uhhhh nope. Nope nope nope. That thing is ancient. Time for a major upgrade sir. Put that thing in a museum. ???✌?

????? That hurts man!! ?
I’m using it right now?
im using
Hahahahahhahahaah Core2Duo ????

Uhhhh nope. Nope nope nope. That thing is ancient. Time for a major upgrade sir. Put that thing in a museum. ???✌?
If that’s the case, it will be awhile before anyone sees my videos. My money ? is going towards the new release ?

Last edited:
Maybe if HandBrake can take the video down you could edit on your mac? Don't give it up yet. You may even find a phone app that'll help out. The PowerDirector app is available for my Android but if you have ios, I'm sure there are options and even many free. I want to see the videos?

Maybe if HandBrake can take the video down you could edit on your mac? Don't give it up yet. You may even find a phone app that'll help out. The PowerDirector app is available for my Android but if you have ios, I'm sure there are options and even many free. I want to see the videos?
I’ll have to try the GoPro app itself on my iPhone X. Supposedly you can make/edit vids on there but they take up a lot of the phones memory quick! So maybe one at a time then delete from the phone after sharing. ?

Update:
I was playing around with GoPro app and I figured out how to edit my vids ???
Now I just have to edit a few, then figure out how to get them on here ?Probably not going to be as nicely editing as @bicketybam w/music and stuff.

Update:
I was playing around with GoPro app and I figured out how to edit my vids ???
Now I just have to edit a few, then figure out how to get them on here ?Probably not going to be as nicely editing as @bicketybam w/music and stuff.
It’s the content that matters, not how well you did in post. ??????

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back