Granite Granite clutch too tight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronF

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
Just stripped out a spur gear unexpectedly and after some investigation it looks like the clutch may have been way too tight.

Found that the rear output side of the clutch assembly has a tiny crack and is out of round (#1), the bearing won't slide off now. Lower portion of the shaft measures 9.96 and where the bearing gets stuck is 10.05mm so something went wrong there.

I pulled the clutch apart and found that clutch material is worn excessively on #6 in the photo, with slight wearing on #2, all the other parts look new. #6 worn face interfaces with #7. The backs off all clutch material looks new (like in #4)

Could this have been the root cause? I crashed into a small wall square on at full speed which probably destroyed everything.

IMG_0611_edit2.jpg

Could this have been the root cause? I crashed into a small wall square on at full speed which probably destroyed everything.

I once smashed a 1.1 car into a tree. Wasn't my fault tho, it was the transmissions' fault, the tires' fault, and the horse power's fault.. I was on FULL throttle and when it hit second gear the a$$ end broke loose. Think that's the reason I don't have that car anymore?

Just stripped out a spur gear unexpectedly and after some investigation it looks like the clutch may have been way too tight.

Found that the rear output side of the clutch assembly has a tiny crack and is out of round (#1), the bearing won't slide off now. Lower portion of the shaft measures 9.96 and where the bearing gets stuck is 10.05mm so something went wrong there.

I pulled the clutch apart and found that clutch material is worn excessively on #6 in the photo, with slight wearing on #2, all the other parts look new. #6 worn face interfaces with #7. The backs off all clutch material looks new (like in #4)

View attachment 324688

Looks that way..
Half of your spur have lost their teeth , either from that collision or from your driving style...
Are you a smoker?

Like others have said, probably the sudden jolt from the crash. But, check your power module motor plate and make sure its straight and check bearings (motor ones too).

There are lots of guides here on the forum on how to set the slipper clutch (I like mine on the tighter side).

I would consider sealing the power module while you have things apart as well.

Good Luck!

By the looks of the pad's it was slipping plenty, definitely not to tight.. definitely from the crash.. dollars to donuts I'd bet the motor mount is bent.. 😉

thanks everyone, i suspected the 60-0 km\h into a gutter might have been the cause, driving it around at night just after rebuilding the rear diff... back onto the bench, was good while it lasted lol

I drive it like I've stolen it, pretty much destroyed now. Body is shot, body posts ground down and also lost a clip during all this too.

Waiting on my Jenny's shipment to at least fix the left front hub which broke 12 months ago, just keep driving it until it stops.

IMG_0350(1).JPG

thanks everyone, i suspected the 60-0 km\h into a gutter might have been the cause, driving it around at night just after rebuilding the rear diff... back onto the bench, was good while it lasted lol

I drive it like I've stolen it, pretty much destroyed now. Body is shot, body posts ground down and also lost a clip during all this too.

Waiting on my Jenny's shipment to at least fix the left front hub which broke 12 months ago, just keep driving it until it stops.

View attachment 324720

You sir
Are a perfect example of "Don't just bash. Blast! 👊💥
Respect.

You might want to mount some body Protectors/Skids... to give yourself more bashtime with that body.

I saw a granite with one of those protectors on it and its probably worth it. Currently the body is held together with duct tape.

Started life as a brushed MEGA and now is a 3S BLX

Worth it.

IMG_20230929_201622923.jpg

IMG_20230929_201606212.jpg

IMG_20230929_201602650.jpg

IMG_20230929_201556471.jpg

The splined, rear end of the slipper is a common place for breakage. Whether from impact or torque, I don't think i've seen anyone conclude. However, it can generally be resolved by slipping the inner race of a used bearing over the outside of the (new) slipper. The bearing helps it from splaying out.

If your clutch is worn, then your slipper wasn't too tight. Slipper too tight, IMO, means that you're slipper isn't slipping enough and you'd be shock loading your gears to death.

A shock load is a shock load, so keep your slipper adjusted right to allow some movement. If you're not familiar with the sliding trick for setting the slipper, youtube it and set the slipper like that.

Last edited:
Back up and running as of yesterday, replaced the gear. Also my Jenny's order came in so have fixed the front steering block as that had snapped off last year at some point and I've just been running it since with a floppy wheel...

Put 2 5600mah packs through it yesterday with no drama's, just need to replace what's left of the body and the body mounts. Down to 2/4 body clips now as well, starting to get a bit rough lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back