Granite Granite drive shaft upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granite Guy

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I need to replace the stock driveshafts on my Granite BLX. I'm sick of continually breaking the stock junk and cutting every session short for one broken component or another.

It looks like there are a few options:

Arrma
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/cvd-slider-set-4x4-mega-blx/ARAC3974.html

GPM
https://www.gpmparts.com/arrma-gran...rive-shaft-6pc-set-gpm-mag108frs-p-15961.html

Integy
https://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=35698&p_catid=492#.YT6vey1h3Fw

RCAWD
https://rcawd.com/products/rcawd-ar...senton-granite-typhon-bigrock-3s-blx-4x4-2pcs

The one single requirement is that they don’t break. Who's got experience with any of these and can discuss their experience?

IMG_8310.JPG

IMG_8311.JPG

Last edited:
The stock ones didn't last at all. Bought RCAWD in pic and they've lasted a lot longer. But!! They wear in the cups, or you wear out the spring and loose the pin inside. I have a set of the Arrma for quite a while but have not needed to install yet. So I can't give you a solid answer yet. IMO they all give out eventually. Nothing lasts forever in this hobby 🤪

20230808_145101.jpg

20230808_145006.jpg

20230808_144930.jpg

The RCAWD parts look pretty nice. Good to hear they have generally held up well.

I have only broken a few of them, the stock ones seem pretty durable to me.

You must really drive! :cool:

Stock power plant?

Just waiting for them to totally give out so I can install the Arrma shafts. Good luck with your choice. IMO the choices you provided should perform about the same.

Am I correct in that all of the aftermarket driveshafts use a set screw to hold them to the output drive from the differential, whereas the stock plastic drive shafts use a screw down the middle to hold them on?

Do the diff. output drives have a countersink for the set screw?

The diff outputs on my 3s have detents for the set screws. I ran the gpm shafts on the rear for a long time before finally breaking a stub shaft. Now back to stock plastic ones. Have a bag of spares from jenny’s.

Those integy ones look good. I would probably try those if it was me, but I’ve heard the rcawd cvd’s are good too.

I CAN tell you I tried out the rcawd dogbone style shafts they just recently put out, and was quite disappointed with those.

So I can pretty much say that the arrma composite axles are not going last long as there is a composite ring to hold the pin centered. I'm still running rcawd because I still have a few spare parts to remedy small issues. There's a lot of slop. Paid good money for them and I'll be damned if I get every buck out of them.
Sorry guys, forgot to add pic

Attachments

• 20230917_152007.jpg
    20230917_152007.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 42
So I can pretty much say that the arrma composite axles are not going last long as there is a composite ring to hold the pin centered. I'm still running rcawd because I still have a few spare parts to remedy small issues. There's a lot of slop. Paid good money for them and I'll be damned if I get every buck out of them.
So you haven’t used them but yet you’re sure they won’t last?

I agree for the price. It should not be a composite. However, I have them on my Big Rock; they are lasting and working well. I am OCD, so I do check my rigs over well.

I suspect that composite rings are going to wear faster than the springs on rcawd. They'll be put into action soon enough. Let you know then what I think will happen.

I agree for the price. It should not be a composite. However, I have them on my Big Rock; they are lasting and working well. I am OCD, so I do check my rigs over well.
You’re free to vote with your wallet. If you don’t think there should be composite parts at the price they are selling for; don’t buy them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back