Guess im confused on vehicle size scaling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splattered23

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Senton 6s
  3. 4x4-Mega
So I've been looking at the Tacon Soar buggy for when I have more money to spend on another toy... wanting something a little smaller I can just run on pavement in parking lots and on streets. This is advertised as a 1/14 brushless buggy. Then I go look at the Typhon 3s today and it is listed as a 1/8 buggy the same as my Kraton.

However in looking at the actual vehicle dimensions online they appear to be very close to the same??? But one is a 1/14 and one is a 1/8.

I always thought that the higher the scaling number it is the smaller the vehicle - 24 and 32 being micro for example.

Is that not actually the case?

Understanding Different Measures of Scale

Generally speaking, the scale that most models provide will be the overall comparison of the RC product’s length, width, and height against the real vehicle. However, measuring an RC vehicle’s scale isn’t always as simple as giving a single figure. The model’s scale can be further broken down into four distinct values, including scale weight, scale speed, scale gravity and scale time.

Scale speed

Scale speed is a measurement of the speed that the RC vehicle can achieve when compared to the real, full-size model that it is based on. Often, RC vehicle manufacturers will advertise products alongside their scale speed, but it’s important to understand what you’re getting.

For example, a 1:10 scale RC model listed with a scale speed of 100 mph would likely have an actual speed limit of around 10 mph. By comparison, a 1:24 scale RC model with the same scale speed of 100 mph would have a speed limit of just over 4 mph. Despite having the same scale speed, these two vehicles clearly have a considerable difference in their maximum speed.

Scale weight

Calculating scale weight is more complicated than calculating scale speed, as it is not a simple case of multiplying the RC model’s weight by the upper value in the scale. However, scaling weight is reasonably straightforward and easy to visualize if you imagine that your RC model is made up of individual blocks.

Let’s take a 1:10 scale RC model as an example. If you were to take one of those blocks and build them up 10 x 10 x 10, representing the length, width, and height, then you would have created a 1:1 scale model. Though there’s often a small variation in weight, you’ll usually end up with a reasonably accurate comparison.

Thus, you are not multiplying the RC model vehicle’s weight by 10. Instead, you are cubing the number by multiplying 10 by 10, and then again by 10. If we’re to take a real car as an example, a typical Lamborghini Aventador weighs in at around 1,852 kg. Conversely, an RC version of this vehicle can weigh in at around 1,800g, or 1.8 kg.

Working out the Vehicle’s Engine Power

The reason that it’s important to know a scale model’s weight is because it allows us to work out the model’s engine power against its mass. Let’s look at the 2015 edition Lamborghini Aventador again, which weighed in at around 1,852 kb, with 691 horsepower (HP). This means that the vehicle has around 2.8 kilograms of weight for each horsepower.

By comparison, the model version that we discussed above weighed in at 1,800 grams, with an advertised horsepower rating of around 1 HP. This means that the model version has a weight of around 1.8 kilograms for every horsepower. This makes the model version less powerful than the real thing, though often the RC model version of a real vehicle will be more powerful than the original based on this same calculation; this is more typical of non-sports cars.

Conclusion

Most of the most well-known sports and rally cars can be picked up in RC model form, with various scale sizes available. It really comes down to the size of the model that you would prefer to drive. The key takeaways from the above information are to work out what kind of size and weight you’d like your RC model vehicle to be, as well as how much power you want it to have. It’s entirely possible to find an RC vehicle that is more powerful than its real-life counterpart.

https://www.gettingstartedinrc.com/understanding-rc-scale-sizes/

No I didn't write it, Yes I cut and pasted it Like a pro!

So I've been looking at the Tacon Soar buggy for when I have more money to spend on another toy... wanting something a little smaller I can just run on pavement in parking lots and on streets. This is advertised as a 1/14 brushless buggy. Then I go look at the Typhon 3s today and it is listed as a 1/8 buggy the same as my Kraton.

However in looking at the actual vehicle dimensions online they appear to be very close to the same??? But one is a 1/14 and one is a 1/8.

I always thought that the higher the scaling number it is the smaller the vehicle - 24 and 32 being micro for example.

Is that not actually the case?

You're right. 1/8 cars are bigger than 1/14 cars. But you need to consider the type of vehicle as well, along with a little marketing mixed in for good measure. ;)

Buggies are smaller than same scale monster trucks / trucks / truggies.
The Typhon is a scale buggy. The Kraton is a scale monster truck / truggy (truck/buggy). So at the same scale the Kraton is bigger than the Typhon.

Also as you mention two buggies I've pasted specs below. The Typhon is a lot bigger than the 1/14 scale Soar.

Scale: 1/14 Tacon Soar Buggy
Length: 304mm (12in)
Width: 202mm (8in)
Height: 110mm (4.3in)
Wheelbase: 186mm (7.3in)

Scale:1/8 Arrma Typhon 3s
Length: 511mm / 20.12"
Front Width: 306mm / 12.05"
Rear Width: 306mm / 12.05"
Wheelbase: 328mm / 12.91"
Height: 195mm / 7.68"

Last edited:
You're right. 1/8 cars are bigger than 1/14 cars. But you need to consider the type of vehicle as well, along with a little marketing mixed in for good measure. ;)

Buggies are smaller than same scale monster trucks / trucks / truggies.
The Typhon is a scale buggy. The Kraton is a scale monster truck / truggy (truck/buggy). So at the same scale the Kraton is bigger than the Typhon.

Also as you mention two buggies I've pasted specs below. The Typhon is a lot bigger than the 1/14 scale Soar.

Scale: 1/14 Tacon Soar Buggy
Length: 304mm (12in)
Width: 202mm (8in)
Height: 110mm (4.3in)
Wheelbase: 186mm (7.3in)

Scale:1/8 Arrma Typhon 3s
Length: 511mm / 20.12"
Front Width: 306mm / 12.05"
Rear Width: 306mm / 12.05"
Wheelbase: 328mm / 12.91"
Height: 195mm / 7.68"

Ah ok I see my confusion now.. I was looking at the detailed specs page on the Arrma site and it lists the body as 12.64" long, 6.5" width, and 3.94" tall. By "body" they are referring to the shell?

Ok we can delete this thread Haha sorry!

I think the Typhon looks amazing but i'm looking for something comparable durability/speed wise but in a smaller scale format. That's why I was looking at the Tacon Soar buggy which I guess i'll stick with.

If Arrma started making smaller scale vehicles with the same quality durability and speed as the larger versions i'd be ALL over it.

AAAaaa, what scale is the Outcast? same wb as Typhon...;)

But sit them side by side (well Notorious and Typhon) and they look quite different sizes.

90FA8FA3-2D79-48DC-9E83-F7FB4C262F0F.jpeg0E0D6345-304E-44B1-AB44-0FFEAC25CF1E.jpeg

One could split hairs on length width and height in determining scale, on what is and what is not the norm for a particular scale.. but in the end Marketing by Mfrs. determines this. Take PL for example. They make wheels and bodies. That is their claim to fame among other decent product offerings. They market 1/8 scale bodies in many ranges and so on for 1/10 etc. Wheels are typically described and marketed by scale. But buggy 1/8 differs from Truggy 1/8 sizing. Tekno calls their MT410 a 1/10th scale model. It really is a 1/8 scale.( identical dimensions to the Outcast/Notorious) Using 8th scale 17mm hubs and 3.8+ MT wheels and tires. 1/10 scale typically uses 12 mm hubs and 2.2 wheels and tires and variations of this based on specific style of model. (MT, Buggy, Truggy, TouringGT etc.)
I called Tekno for some input on my build and also queried why they call it 1/10 scale. They simply and very quickly said it was a "marketing decision". Pure and simple. I wonder why a company would underrate their model in scale size? But with the MT410 you are actually buying a Tekno 8th scale kit. All the chassis components are 8th scale. It is all about marketing and the price point, targeting a specific buyer breaking into a specific scale market and the basic configuration the Mfr. wants to use that determines its scale. But in "general", 1/8 is bigger than 1/10 , 1/10 is bigger than 1/12 and so on.

Attachments

• tekno.jpg
    tekno.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 45
Yeah sometimes they label a certain car/truck as 1/10 when it's closer to 1/12 or a 1/10 which is bigger and actually 1/8.
Yup, like take the Traxxas models for example, the Summit, Revo and E/T Maxx are listed as 1/10 scale but they also use 17mm hex and 1/8th scale electronics and are the same size as a lot of the 1/8th scale monster trucks.

I was talking with someone else about the Stampede being 1/12th since the Slash is considered 1/10 but is much bigger than the Pede.

Yup scaling is so dumb with rc cars. Here is another 2wd monster truck compared to the Stampede.
Ecx Ruckus 2WD
  • Length: 20.0 in (508mm)
  • Width: 13.5 in. (342mm)
  • Height: 7.8 in. (197mm)
  • Ground Clearance: 2.42 in. (61.5mm)
  • Wheelbase: 13.1 in (332.7mm)
  • Weight: 5.5 lbs (2.5kg)
Traxxas Stampede
  • Length: 16.25" (413mm)
  • Front Track: 12.75" (324mm)
  • Rear Track: 12.75" (324mm)
  • Weight: 65.3oz (1.85 kg)
  • Height (overall): 9.5" (241mm)
  • Wheelbase: 10.63" (270mm)

And lets toss in a 1/12 scale for the heck of it.

Tamiya Lunchbox
  • Length: 15.2" (385mm)
  • Width: 11.4" (290mm)
  • Height: 8.9" (225mm)
  • Weight: 3.5lbs (1600g)(approx.)
  • Wheelbase: 8" (203 mm)

Now the 1/10 Scale Traxxas Summit
  • Length: 22.17 inches (563mm)
  • Front Track: 18.48 inches (469.5mm)
  • Rear Track: 18.58 inches (472mm)
  • Center Ground Clearance: 4.76 inches (121mm)
  • Weight:11lbs (4.98kg) (w/o batteries)12.7lbs (5.75kg) (with batteries)
  • Height (overall): 12.6 inches (320mm)
  • Wheelbase: 14.84 inches (377mm)
And a 1/8 scale Hpi Savage 4.6
  • Length: 21.02 inches (534mm)
  • Width: 16.81 inches (427mm)
  • Height: 10 inches (254mm)
  • Wheelbase: 13.24 (336.5mm)

Last edited:
Understanding Different Measures of Scale

Generally speaking, the scale that most models provide will be the overall comparison of the RC product’s length, width, and height against the real vehicle. However, measuring an RC vehicle’s scale isn’t always as simple as giving a single figure. The model’s scale can be further broken down into four distinct values, including scale weight, scale speed, scale gravity and scale time.

Scale speed

Scale speed is a measurement of the speed that the RC vehicle can achieve when compared to the real, full-size model that it is based on. Often, RC vehicle manufacturers will advertise products alongside their scale speed, but it’s important to understand what you’re getting.

For example, a 1:10 scale RC model listed with a scale speed of 100 mph would likely have an actual speed limit of around 10 mph. By comparison, a 1:24 scale RC model with the same scale speed of 100 mph would have a speed limit of just over 4 mph. Despite having the same scale speed, these two vehicles clearly have a considerable difference in their maximum speed.

Scale weight

Calculating scale weight is more complicated than calculating scale speed, as it is not a simple case of multiplying the RC model’s weight by the upper value in the scale. However, scaling weight is reasonably straightforward and easy to visualize if you imagine that your RC model is made up of individual blocks.

Let’s take a 1:10 scale RC model as an example. If you were to take one of those blocks and build them up 10 x 10 x 10, representing the length, width, and height, then you would have created a 1:1 scale model. Though there’s often a small variation in weight, you’ll usually end up with a reasonably accurate comparison.

Thus, you are not multiplying the RC model vehicle’s weight by 10. Instead, you are cubing the number by multiplying 10 by 10, and then again by 10. If we’re to take a real car as an example, a typical Lamborghini Aventador weighs in at around 1,852 kg. Conversely, an RC version of this vehicle can weigh in at around 1,800g, or 1.8 kg.

Working out the Vehicle’s Engine Power

The reason that it’s important to know a scale model’s weight is because it allows us to work out the model’s engine power against its mass. Let’s look at the 2015 edition Lamborghini Aventador again, which weighed in at around 1,852 kb, with 691 horsepower (HP). This means that the vehicle has around 2.8 kilograms of weight for each horsepower.

By comparison, the model version that we discussed above weighed in at 1,800 grams, with an advertised horsepower rating of around 1 HP. This means that the model version has a weight of around 1.8 kilograms for every horsepower. This makes the model version less powerful than the real thing, though often the RC model version of a real vehicle will be more powerful than the original based on this same calculation; this is more typical of non-sports cars.

Conclusion

Most of the most well-known sports and rally cars can be picked up in RC model form, with various scale sizes available. It really comes down to the size of the model that you would prefer to drive. The key takeaways from the above information are to work out what kind of size and weight you’d like your RC model vehicle to be, as well as how much power you want it to have. It’s entirely possible to find an RC vehicle that is more powerful than its real-life counterpart.

https://www.gettingstartedinrc.com/understanding-rc-scale-sizes/

No I didn't write it, Yes I cut and pasted it Like a pro!

If you have to move 1.8 kg instead of 2.8 kg, then you have more and not less power. Your thoughts in the past were right.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back