Limitless Gyro, anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m building an infraction for speed runs and I’m going to use the Futaba 470 I have Futaba radio/receiver so I figured keep it all the same. I still need to install gyro and cap pack but I’ve driven it and it’s ready for gyro.
IMG_8395.png
IMG_8329.png
IMG_8329.png

Are you guys using a gyro for speed runs? If so which one?
I used to think I must have a gyro for my speedruns but I’m not so sure about that anymore.

I still use it because it is still installed on most of my builds but it’s turned almost all the way down, 8-10%.

The car must be able to track straight without the gyro. If not your setup may not be ready for full speedruns.

Futaba GYC 441

Good points about setup, if you cant travel straight without gyro, there is a more pressing concern with your setup. One good reason to make use of a gyro is the sudden slow down at the end of a run. In the case of a speed run, there is more trouble keeping it straight at the end than the start. One thing i wish my RL did was allow me to have a programmed percentage of gyro. That way I just flip a switch before letting off throttle. The current dial isn't exact and too much percentage is very bad.

By pretty much all accounts the Futaba gyros are second to none. I’ve yet to try one. I only have experience with the OEM systems that come in different brands of RTR’s (a couple of them really suck) and with the RadioLink gyros, which I actually like and have had good luck with.
Good points about setup, if you cant travel straight without gyro, there is a more pressing concern with your setup. One good reason to make use of a gyro is the sudden slow down at the end of a run. In the case of a speed run, there is more trouble keeping it straight at the end than the start. One thing i wish my RL did was allow me to have a programmed percentage of gyro. That way I just flip a switch before letting off throttle. The current dial isn't exact and too much percentage is very bad.
I think you actually can mess with the gyro settings in the RL setup screens? If I remember it can be done by an expo or DR setting on channel 3. But I don’t remember for sure.

By pretty much all accounts the Futaba gyros are second to none. I’ve yet to try one. I only have experience with the OEM systems that come in different brands of RTR’s (a couple of them really suck) and with the RadioLink gyros, which I actually like and have had good luck with.

I think you actually can mess with the gyro settings in the RL setup screens? If I remember it can be done by an expo or DR setting on channel 3. But I don’t remember for sure.
I'm going to look into that. But my understanding, and could very well be wrong, is only channel 3 and only the dial controls the gyro?
By the way, I may have stumbled on a hack for those heavy fingered like me. Using the AUX XLX2 setting to create a 3 step transmission via power settings. I'm sure it's been tried before but cant find anything online or here. Wondering if it would positively or negatively impact top speed. I really need to suck it up and order a Perfect Pass

I've never used gyro before..is it worth turning on guys? :unsure:
Depends on what your doing. Track racers may like then as they help steady the car through turns and curves. Bashers so etimes like that it helps keep the rig straight for jumps as it speeds over bumpy/uneven ground.

Depends on what your doing. Track racers may like then as they help steady the car through turns and curves. Bashers so etimes like that it helps keep the rig straight for jumps as it speeds over bumpy/uneven ground.
Most driving will be done looking into a video screen, long range fpv so there might be locations where i could benefit from using a gyro.

Will be interesting to test it anyway. 😉

+1 on the Futaba GYC gyro for speed runs.
You have to set it up on an extra channel on your radio to really use it correctly. I have mine setup at +30

Made a significant difference to the car's stability when running foams. Never needed it on GRP tires.

Last edited:
Conversely, I’ve heard that having a gyro active while jumping can be the kiss of death, as it activates as one applies air control and kicks the rig sideways.

I run my Limitless V1 (Mamba X 8s with Castle 1717 1650kv) and Kraton EXB 8S (XLX2 with Castle 2028 1100kv) using a two Radiolink RC6GS and its R7FG receiver. I was primarily after the long range capability but the price and gyro (which works pretty darn good) were bonuses. I have two transmitters when my wife or kid wants to run the other car at the same time.

I used to think I must have a gyro for my speedruns but I’m not so sure about that anymore.

I still use it because it is still installed on most of my builds but it’s turned almost all the way down, 8-10%.

The car must be able to track straight without the gyro. If not your setup may not be ready for full speedruns.

Futaba GYC 441
I used to think I didn't need a gyro for speed runs until I destroyed my last speed car it Grenaded at 100+mph into PIECES all over the road. After watching a $1000 turn into nothing I’m a gyro guy now! 😂😂

I used to think I didn't need a gyro for speed runs until I destroyed my last speed car it Grenaded at 100+mph into PIECES all over the road. After watching a $1000 turn into nothing I’m a gyro guy now! 😂😂
Okay so that won’t be happening with the gyro then??? 🤣

I didn’t say that!😎 I’m just trying to give a below average drive (me) some help. I run out of talent before anything else. 😂😂😂
I hear u. I used to think the same thing and then I started doing actual speedruns. I’m not saying a gyro doesn’t do anything in a speedrun, I’m just saying it’s not what u want to rely on to go straight.

I didn't, no. But I like them for bashing.
See I'm the opposite for bashing I hate the gyro because it seems to make the truck less predictable and harder to recover.
But in speed runs, I like it because if I hit a bump while the car is in the distance then the gyro would be able to start to compensate even before I can see and react myself.

I'm only new to the RC buggy world and wondering about getting a gyro set up?
This might sound like a stupid question but can you run a gyro with a 4 channel transmitter?
From what Im hearing you can only use a three channel transmitter... 🤔
Thanks in advance.

I'm only new to the RC buggy world and wondering about getting a gyro set up?
This might sound like a stupid question but can you run a gyro with a 4 channel transmitter?
From what Im hearing you can only use a three channel transmitter... 🤔
Thanks in advance.
You can use a gyro with pretty much any receiver. They typically are controlled by the radio on channel 3 in an RTR setup, so maybe that’s what’s confusing.
And hey man, welcome to the forum!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back