Harder compound in rear for for 2wd street rig?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Looking to get some grps for my 2wd Stampede low rider. I have a set of Proline Avenger S3 tires and want to try a harder compound.

Just started wondering, should i stick to soft compound up front on 2wd since it wont be spinning? Wont warm up like the rear and i want it to grip enough to steer.

Sound right or will it be better with rhe same compound on all 4?

Looking to get some grps for my 2wd Stampede low rider. I have a set of Proline Avenger S3 tires and want to try a harder compound.

Just started wondering, should i stick to soft compound up front on 2wd since it wont be spinning? Wont warm up like the rear and i want it to grip enough to steer.

Sound right or will it be better with rhe same compound on all 4?
If i learned anything from playing Gran Turismo on the PS1, always put your soft compound tires on the rear of the car to keep it from sliding out...
:LOL: :LOL:

On my 1/10 short course truck I originally had S2 GRPs on the front and S1 in the rear. But in the end I preferred the balance of the car with hard S2 on the rear and S1 on the front. In the end it depends on your cars setup and your preferences. With two different tires you can easily change the balance. Maybe buy two XM3 and one XM4 set or something like that, so you can have an oversteer/ neutral and understeer setup.....

Much is trial and error and the rest is driving style and preference.
2WD is way different than 4WD. With 2WD you can completely change to non matching tires at Fr and Rr. Off Road and On Road is also way different when Choosing tires.

Went ahead and ordered a set of s5 GRP's. Since I've only run s3 so far, figured might as well run a full set of s5 also for comparison, then it will be easier to know which compounds for which surfaces. I've got one parking lot thats a bit dusty and old so not sure if anything other than s3 would be good there. I have another that is newer and clean with high grip, pretty sure the s5 will do well there. Once I've tried the s5 I can decide about mixing the front and rear compounds.

Staggering compounds can work to your advantage for sure. Trial and error dictates where you want the proper traction.
The S5 and harder compounds are generally better for hotter weather, Hot pavement running. The heat tends to wear out softer compounds much faster. Govern yourself accordingly. In colder climates most go with the Softer compounds. How GRP and other brands design them to be.
If the rig "Pushes" alot, usually you go with softer compounds at the front. Depends if you are Drifting versus Speed running or hard Drag pulls.

Last edited:
So far i have run the s3 tires and they are great for straight line acceleration. Drifting is a bit tougher with 2wd but it will drift some. Problem is it will only slide as long as the rear wheels are breaking traction. If it gets a good bite before i straighten the front wheels, it rolls half way over and goes for a good roof skid. 🤣

Hoping the s5 will prevent that on days i want to do more drifting. Running them on this little custom Stampede low rider:

20230608_113313.jpg

Does your Stampede run the Trx LCG Chassis?
I would also look to adjusting the "roll center" to prevent some traction rolling.
Nice Stampede there. Body and all.(y)
Those Belted PL Avengers are "buggy sized" wheels and tires. ( Taller)
Going to GRP's will drop the height. To your advantage. For drifting etc.
May want to gear up 2 teeth at a minimum. 2 Teeth up if running 32 Pitch. (.8 Mod)

Last edited:
Aha, just looked at the PDF for the Tekno driveshafts and hubs. I have my rear camber link in the top middle of the rear hub, will move it to the bottom middle to lower the roll center. GRP's are on order in the s5 compound, should show up next week. New pinions should be here today, running 28t now and have 30, 32, & 34t on the way, they are 48p.
For now no LCG chassis, I made a kydex box to do a bottom mount batter to give it a lower cg, it was rolling quiet a bit easier before I did that lol...
battery.jpg

battery box.jpg
bottom battery mount.jpg

Ran the S5 compound GRPs today and lets just say (y)(y)(y)! Ran 2 full packs of 5200mah 3s hoovos and REALLY like the way they handle once they are warmed up. A quick burnout against the curb for a few seconds gets the rear warm, front grips fine for parking lot bashing but would probably want s3 if I had more room.
Lots of high speed turning, zero rollovers in 2 full packs! Holy crap I can't believe I got a Stampede planted that well! Now 4s will be a different story...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back