healthy/normal temp on rc engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limpan1

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello! im wondering how high temp my engine can go on my hobbywing 1650, whats healthy/normal temps?

ahhahahaha true! just curious so I know when im tryin different pinions :D

No higher than 75°C (170°F) outside can temp, more like 65°C (150°F) is safer. Actual running temps will depend on things like ambient temp, gearing, how hard and on which surfaces you drive, whether you have additional cooling on the motor, etc..

There are many variables indeed. Depending on load and efficiency 40c/100f to 55c/130f is to be expected. Same with the esc.

On a 10 second speedun i don't worry if they hit 85c/185f but at the end of a battery pack on a basher i do get really worried.
I can certainly smell it when a motor has gone bad.

In general i'd say if you cant touch and hold it for 5 seconds it's overheating.

Cause for heat death is the epoxy holding that magnets on the rotor will break down ~ 200F, there is no repairing or going back, it will just get worse over time. This varies a little between motor manufacturers, but not by much.
Next point, internal motor tempo is always ~ 30-40F higher than the outside can.
Last but not least, once you cross the 160F line the time to get to 170F can be measured in seconds (~30s) but heavily pending surface, setup etc.

Temperature drops significantly between stopping and actually taking the temp, pending how slow you are but 10-20F is realistic, even more with a fan.

All that said, 150F is what I would recommend after killing a couple motors. At 170-180F you can already start the ordering process for a new motor, just a matter of time.

Hobbywing 1650 (4095) an 18T on a Kraton is the sweetspot. It still overheats in Florida summer, but so does the driver 😓.

Cause for heat death is the epoxy holding that magnets on the rotor will break down ~ 200F, there is no repairing or going back, it will just get worse over time. This varies a little between motor manufacturers, but not by much.
Next point, internal motor tempo is always ~ 30-40F higher than the outside can.
Last but not least, once you cross the 160F line the time to get to 170F can be measured in seconds (~30s) but heavily pending surface, setup etc.

Temperature drops significantly between stopping and actually taking the temp, pending how slow you are but 10-20F is realistic, even more with a fan.

All that said, 150F is what I would recommend after killing a couple motors. At 170-180F you can already start the ordering process for a new motor, just a matter of time.

Hobbywing 1650 (4095) an 18T on a Kraton is the sweetspot. It still overheats in Florida summer, but so does the driver 😓.
What’s your take on the HW XR8 line? The only motor temp cutoff settings are 220 and 250 degrees. I believe the manual states the motors can handle up to 220 without damage.

How do their motors handle higher temps than the rest of the market?

Like I said, depends on the epoxy they use. If other companies give you a higher guarantee is a different story.
Also keep in mind that the magnets will lose some of their power at higher temps. Easier to install external fans and not even have those issues.

I know that stock Firma and BLX185 won't make it past ~200F. It's also not an instant death, might still be able to run for a couple packs but the death sentence was signed.

If you touch it:

Ouch: Get a fan! ;)

Really ouch: Stop driving. :(

Really mean: Act cool and ask your buddy to see it it's too hot. :p
FYI - Scalding hot (Ouch!) = 120f-130f

Really Ouch! - cooling fins leave marks on your skin @150f

Motor still happy till about 170f.

180f, shut it down and let it cool.

200f = damaged motor.

Moral - we really need a IR thermometer to know if it is hot but happy or about to fail...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back