Help me choose the right Combo for the Typhon TLR.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I skipped the HW Pro and went Plus version. I was willing to trade off bit of extra grams of ESC weight for the additional Amp overhead gain of the XR8 Plus. More efficient. Has always ran cool with 6s. Will only be running 4s with my TLRT. Might become a speed runner later on. (6s) IDK yet.:unsure:
Have several of these ESC's already. Yeah the Turbo Boost, Delay setting and Timing settings are great. Features always used at the track.
Low speed cogging affect with Non Sensored ESC's/motors's works against you with technical driving or on a track.
Why I prefer Sensored only for my TLRT. And most of my rigs. But hard open field bashing rarely needs a Sensored setup. Why most don't run them. And Sensorless is much less expensive. The main reason.
But there is a distinct difference between the power delivery of both.

20211101_113717.jpg

Last edited:
For you CC guys out there , this 4s ESC/motor combo is a nice deal. Sensored.(y)
I considered this one also. But stayed HW.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle...hless-combo-cse010-0155-05/p-qualt2kqtzqxactz
Yeah, the Mamba X can handle 6s, but I would not with that combo.

For a TLRT, I would want (personally) 4s, not 6s. Even my old heavy V1 Typhon didn't need 6s. 4s (with a pinion bump) has plenty of go. 6s just destroyed tires every run.

If you feel the need for 6s, then you need the MMX, but it is not sold as a combo with the smaller 1512 (4268). The MMX only comes with the larger 1515 (4075) 2200kv. Strangely this combo still has the old price, $260 -
https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle...sored-motor-cse010-0145-03/p-qqaktzkqtcqxactz

Or go for the Hobbywing, lots of people love them. But, know the HW sensored ESC's are not waterproof, if that matters to you. (Castle MMX and MX are waterproof)

Or go for the Hobbywing, lots of people love them. But, know the HW sensored ESC's are not waterproof, if that matters to you. (Castle MMX and MX are waterproof)
^^^
No Sensored ESC/ Motor is trully WP/WR. (Even non-sensored are not WR IMHO). Sensor leads/pins are very sensative to moisture. They might be only sealed for dust/dirt, if that. When a Sensor lead/ its connection is compromised, the ESC acts erratically, sometimes even fails to work. Unplugging one end of the and restarting the ESC will show if its the Sensor lead that failed. Sensored setups come with their own idiosyncracies. All needs to be kept clean.
All Sensored ESC's are designed for technical track use from the drawing board. IMHO
Racers keep their stuff dry. Most sanctioned tracks are wet down. But by race time they are not flooded or wet. Nice and damp clay. Just great traction results. Blue Grooved by the time the Mains start. Hopefully.:)

Last edited:
0817D1B4-E4E4-4C7E-9073-5F1DD87BE6C1.jpeg
Sell you my Tp4060 1950kv I ran on my Typhon, wires are exact length you need if running castle mmx8s, I’d send with set of fans. If you want power this is the ticket.

I ordered the new Typhon TLR. What would be a good motor/esc combo? I am more of a basher, so low end torque is more important then top speed. Also looking for something that doesn't overheat easily. Right now I have been looking at a Max8 ESC with a EX Run Brushless 4274SL/2200kv.
I have the exact combo and ride. So sweet! Gets it for sure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back