Help me understand the Neutral Range - AKA Throttle Dead Zone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerold

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
Just installed a Hobbywing Fusion and there is a setting for the Neutral Range. I think I've seen this as the Throttle Dead Zone as well?

It has 9 settings ranging from 0.02ms to 0.12ms.

First off, my assumption is that 0.02 ms means a more sensitive throttle than 0.12 ms and why do I want a neutral range?

The second one, is why is this units of ms (miliseconds). I've seen throttle position shown in ms in the Castle data logs.
1694295324014.png

The only thing I can think of is the seconds of an arc. But the throttle moves like 90°, which would be like 5.4E6ms of arc.

I got this from ChatGPT. The explaination of the throttle posistion in ms sounds reasonable.

Why is the throttle position on an RC radio given in units of ms?

The throttle position on an RC (Radio Control) radio is often given in units of milliseconds (ms) because it is a convenient way to represent and communicate the desired throttle setting to the receiver in the RC vehicle (such as an RC car, airplane, or drone). This method of control is commonly referred to as "pulse-width modulation" (PWM).
Here's how it works:
  1. Pulse-Width Modulation (PWM): In RC systems, PWM is used to control various functions, including throttle. It involves sending a series of electrical pulses to the receiver. The width or duration of these pulses determines the position or setting of the control.
  2. Throttle Range: For the throttle control, the range typically varies from around 1000 ms to 2000 ms. This range corresponds to the minimum and maximum throttle positions. A pulse width of 1000 ms might correspond to zero throttle (idle or off), while 2000 ms might represent full throttle (maximum power).
  3. Neutral Position: The neutral position, where the throttle is neither forward nor backward, is often set at around 1500 ms.
  4. Resolution: The use of milliseconds as units provides a relatively high level of resolution for controlling the throttle. This allows for fine-grained control of the motor's speed or the vehicle's movement.
  5. Compatibility: Using ms for throttle control is also convenient because it's a standardized method across different RC systems and manufacturers. This ensures compatibility between different components (transmitters and receivers) and simplifies the setup process for users.
  6. Ease of Programming: When setting up an RC system, you can usually configure the endpoints and neutral position for the throttle channel in milliseconds, which makes it easy to customize the behavior to suit your specific needs.
In summary, using milliseconds to represent throttle position in RC radios is a practical and standardized method that allows for precise control and compatibility across different RC systems. It simplifies the communication between the transmitter and receiver, making it easier for hobbyists and enthusiasts to operate and customize their RC vehicles and aircraft.

I think the scale is off. I'm typically seeing 1-2 ms not 1,000-2,000 ms max. Which would be a very long pulse. o_O

From what it sounds like is the unit of ms is the actual pulse width. Which is ever so not useful, but whatever. It's like Morse code, there is value, but not in my life.

As I suspected, the smaller number means better throttle response. Something I will need to play with I guess.

This is how I read it. Seems like it will always have some forward bias. I suppose I could always trim that out if I'm concerned about true neutral. However, it makes sense that you want the forward direction to be a little it tighter.
1694301691611.png

It's been my experience that when you hit 60 yrs of age, you are in a dead zone. Most of your time is spent in neutral or park.

It's been my experience that when you hit 60 yrs of age, you are in a dead zone. Most of your time is spent in neutral or park.

Wait a second..
Are you serious?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back