Help XLX2 trouble…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AjDale

Reaction score
IMG_8868.jpeg
IMG_8866.jpeg
IMG_8867.jpeg
Brand new XLX2 just installed and soldered. Plugged two 4s batteries into it and as I plugged the second battery in, it popped and sparked really bad and burnt my battery plug and esc plug. Any ideas…? Thank you

So you never got to run it? Just plugged it in for the first time and that is what happened?

Biggest ESC I have is a Max5 and I run EC5's with no issues.. That is a bad burn, polarity on the plugs looks correct to me.. :unsure:

ESC Problem, maybe that cap pack is wired wrong (internally)? Defective EC5?... Or maybe the in-rush is really just too large for a non "anti-spark" connector.

Last edited:
So you never got to run it? Just plugged it in for the first time and that is what happened?
100% correct. Got it in the mail the other day, took it to hobby shop today and had plugs soldered on as well as the rippled killer cap pack. Got home plugged it in to calibrate and it popped at the plug when plugging the second battery in. Pretty big pop and spark compared to normal. Little bit of smoke as well coming from the spark I’d assume

Yup should given your use case 8S etc. 120A vs. 300A + anti-spark.
I’ll give it a shot tomorrow I suppose. Could it have possibly been from the power button turned on while plugging them in? Also didn’t have the fan wire plugged in. Idk thinking of anything until I can test it again 🤦‍♂️

Don't waste your time with ec5s especially on a big heavy rig that draws a lot of amps. I tried to use ec5s on my outcast 8s and xrt and ended up with connectors looking like that or welded together after runs. QS8 is the way to go and they are anti spark. Don't forget to have a soldering iron that is up to the task, big wires, big bullets.

Took it to the shop and got QS8 soldered on. Plugged it all together and it’s exactly how it should be👌. EC5 must not have been able to handle the job. I run ec5 connectors on my 1/5 O8s exb, max5 esc never had an issue like this. Glad it’s solved and working, appreciate everyone’s input🤘

Just to Share Castles recommendations. This ESC will kill weak batteries and connectors. I have pulled over 650 Amps with it.
I have killed some smaller CNHL lipos under 5,000 mAh in seconds.
All of that to say Castle's recommendations should be understood and followed.

1716479379644.png

Back