Should arrma make a crawler?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really think so. Arrma has solidified themselves as the bashers of the HH umbrella and Axial covers the crawler line under the HH umbrella. What would they be able to offer that hasn't been offered already? Rock crawlers are experiencing a bit of a race to the bottom on pricing I feel like anyways. We saw the SCX6 for 300 off MSRP at Black Friday and between the Redcat Ascent at $300 and the huge line of very capable Element rigs that are sub $350... I don't know where they would even fit in at this point and wouldn't it just be a clone of Axial models rebranded to Arrma?

I don't really think so. Arrma has solidified themselves as the bashers of the HH umbrella and Axial covers the crawler line under the HH umbrella. What would they be able to offer that hasn't been offered already? Rock crawlers are experiencing a bit of a race to the bottom on pricing I feel like anyways. We saw the SCX6 for 300 off MSRP at Black Friday and between the Redcat Ascent at $300 and the huge line of very capable Element rigs that are sub $350... I don't know where they would even fit in at this point and wouldn't it just be a clone of Axial models rebranded to Arrma?
Forgot Axial was part of HH, but they could make something similar to the trx summit.

The market is already pretty saturated, and since Axial has a big piece of it I don't see Horizon wanting to compete with themselves.
Also Horizon made Axial discontinue all their more bashy or go fast stuff specifically so they wouldn't compete with themselves. RIP Exo, Bomber, Wraith, Yeti, Yeti XL, etc.

Not quite a true crawler, but a Kraton 6S actually does quite well as a trail vehicle/kinda crawler with some pretty simple modifications!

PXL_20231210_202209798 (Web).jpg
PXL_20231210_203115896 (Web).jpg
PXL_20231212_233926074 (Web).jpg
PXL_20231214_215552162 (Web).jpg

I threw together this build over the past couple months, and I'm having a ton of fun with it. It actually does surprisingly well on rocks considering it's independent suspension and still geared to go pretty quick when I want to, about 35 mph.

There are more details, pictures and some video in my build thread: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/spare-parts-build-kraton-krawler-trail-truck.67286/

As far as a true Arrma crawler, I agree with what others have said. Under the HH umbrella, there's already quite a bit of other brands that have that pretty well saturated.

I think if HH were to do a crawler that isn't Axial, it would be under the Losi brand name. Losi seems to be their big umbrella brand. Team Losi racing buggies, no prep drag cars, SCT's, desert buggies, Grave Digger MT, a UTV, and even a freakin motorcycle, lol. Not sure how/why Losi became their almost everything brand, but seems like a crawler from Losi is more likely than an Arrma crawler.

Not quite a true crawler, but a Kraton 6S actually does quite well as a trail vehicle/kinda crawler with some pretty simple modifications!

View attachment 344105View attachment 344106View attachment 344107View attachment 344108

I threw together this build over the past couple months, and I'm having a ton of fun with it. It actually does surprisingly well on rocks considering it's independent suspension and still geared to go pretty quick when I want to, about 35 mph.

There are more details, pictures and some video in my build thread: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/spare-parts-build-kraton-krawler-trail-truck.67286/

As far as a true Arrma crawler, I agree with what others have said. Under the HH umbrella, there's already quite a bit of other brands that have that pretty well saturated.
That's a pretty cool build man!

I think if HH were to do a crawler that isn't Axial, it would be under the Losi brand name. Losi seems to be their big umbrella brand. Team Losi racing buggies, no prep drag cars, SCT's, desert buggies, Grave Digger MT, a UTV, and even a freakin motorcycle, lol. Not sure how/why Losi became their almost everything brand, but seems like a crawler from Losi is more likely than an Arrma crawler.
Losi is the Scale/Race/Premium brand. Most arrma customers don't give a hoot about scale design, they just want fast tough bashers. Losi customers want something more scale realistic, hence Baja Rey, LMT, Pro Moto, etc. and TLR is technically distinct from Losi for racing stuff.

Jason has specifically stated that Arrma will never make a crawler because that is not what Arrma is about. Many threads about this.

Also Horizon made Axial discontinue all their more bashy or go fast stuff specifically so they wouldn't compete with themselves. RIP Exo, Bomber, Wraith, Yeti, Yeti XL, etc.
That's a fact Jack.
Arrma and Axial, and were originally designed by the same company, Dragon Star in China, and offered for sale to Hobbico, in I believe 2009. Hobbico then created the actual Brands and naming of the models. Along with Team Durango (Race kits based on the Typhon) HH had since bought out these 3 brands from Hobbico, as they went Bankrupt. HH doesn't offer the Team Durango models. But owns the Name. The Typhon TLRT is actually a Team Durango. Nothing remotely similar to any Team Losi in design. Since HH owns Team losi, Team Durango would not be smart as a competition.

Last edited:
Well what should they make? If not crawlers it's kind of interesting to look at what they have and would else would be a nice option?
  • Basically the 6s line is pretty set. Bit longer or shorter, different bodies. Some parts strengthened over time. More body options would be nice. And something that has more grip and cleaner predictable steering on pavement than Felony / Infraction. Perhaps something like an reduce-skin / ESP? option would be innovative. Where the ESC limits the spinning of tires. And on / off that via switch / knob. Would prolong tire life and give a totally new feel to a street car. The handbrake was a nice gimmick. Did not do it for me. Perhaps some reduce-spin function on the ESC would be interesting. Perhaps a bit tricky to actually implement as sensors would be necessary. Maybe a dumb idea - don't know.

• 3s line also pretty set. Weaknesses are known. If they upgrade it and if at some time the dirt under the drive unit actually does flies out - we'll see. Some street car would be nice. Vendetta's body was just not the right thing if you landed on the roof. Spoiler should have not been on body but on chassis. Think that killed it.

• 4s line: Pretty poweful but plastic. With all benefits and downsides. A matter of taste. Lots of proven knowledge went into the 4s series. Never driven one, so can't say much.

• Limitless - could be a bit longer (2cm) for my taste. Even another body that fits on the Limitless would be wellcome.

• That leaves the 1/5: Something like a Typhoon, Felony / Infraction, Mojave. Typhoon with a street body... :unsure:

• Then 1/18 , 1/24 or even 1/32 would be nice for some winter indoor action. A tiny Tyhoon or Mojave would do. Up to now it's WL territory.

• If crawlers - 1/6 to 1/5 would be interesting. And then see how fast it goes. 😋

Personally I don't see many gaping holes in Arrma's lineup. They dipped toe in scale stuff with fireteam and didn't really execute well if you ask me. Tough guy tactical type stuff isn't for me personally, but some folks liked it. That being said the 400 dollar fire sale on fireteams was pretty compelling evidence it didn't sell as well as they hoped. I could see them doing a more traditional desert truck with solid rear axle but that's sort of dipping into Losi territory honestly.

The biggest gaps I see are On road platforms. Infraction Mega was overpriced and now discontinued, but a new entry level on road would be cool. Maybe 4s on road like Vendetta with the 4s power system would be sweet, maybe 8s on road RTR style like limitless with the 1/5 Outcast/Kraton power system.
Or heck, even a 4s Limitless would be sweet. I wish they had more roller options but I get the arguments against them. Twice the space in hobby shop taken up for two versions of every car, and the rollers don't sell as well.

Well what should they make? If not crawlers it's kind of interesting to look at what they have and would else would be a nice option?
Hmm this seems fun

• Expand the grom line across the board. Mini Scale Typhon, Senton and Felony would be awesome.
  • Give more graphics options that are somewhat fresh and less "Arrma-ish" - I am not saying to license it out but some graphics suck (granite for example)
  • Make more EXB models of top performers, give us an EXB grom and EXB gorgon first - brushless of course
  • Come up with something truly new, awesome job on what they pulled off on the Gorgon for the price point
    • The wider arm, narrower arm - taller stance lower stance mix match to make "new" models is stale.
  • To me I think the whole entire 3S is in serious need of a refresh
    • I think that since the Senton BLXs say out of stock until 6/2024 we may see a new Senton on the horizon soon

• Basically the 6s line is pretty set. Bit longer or shorter, different bodies. Some parts strengthened over time. More body options would be nice. And something that has more grip and cleaner predictable steering on pavement than Felony / Infraction. Perhaps something like an reduce-skin / ESP? option would be innovative. Where the ESC limits the spinning of tires. And on / off that via switch / knob. Would prolong tire life and give a totally new feel to a street car. The handbrake was a nice gimmick. Did not do it for me. Perhaps some reduce-spin function on the ESC would be interesting. Perhaps a bit tricky to actually implement as sensors would be necessary. Maybe a dumb idea - don't know.

• 3s line also pretty set. Weaknesses are known. If they upgrade it and if at some time the dirt under the drive unit actually does flies out - we'll see. Some street car would be nice. Vendetta's body was just not the right thing if you landed on the roof. Spoiler should have not been on body but on chassis. Think that killed it.

• 4s line: Pretty poweful but plastic. With all benefits and downsides. A matter of taste. Lots of proven knowledge went into the 4s series. Never driven one, so can't say much.

• Limitless - could be a bit longer (2cm) for my taste. Even another body that fits on the Limitless would be wellcome.

• That leaves the 1/5: Something like a Typhoon, Felony / Infraction, Mojave. Typhoon with a street body... :unsure:

• Then 1/18 , 1/24 or even 1/32 would be nice for some winter indoor action. A tiny Tyhoon or Mojave would do. Up to now it's WL territory.

• If crawlers - 1/6 to 1/5 would be interesting. And then see how fast it goes. 😋

There is speculation that Arrma is making either a Senton or Typhon in the 1/18 scale. The Grom chassis is listed as SWB. So if the Grom was the only car they were making on that platform there would have been no need to specify the wheelbase of the chassis.
Hmm this seems fun

• Expand the grom line across the board. Mini Scale Typhon, Senton and Felony would be awesome.
  • Give more graphics options that are somewhat fresh and less "Arrma-ish" - I am not saying to license it out but some graphics suck (granite for example)
  • Make more EXB models of top performers, give us an EXB grom and EXB gorgon first - brushless of course
  • Come up with something truly new, awesome job on what they pulled off on the Gorgon for the price point
    • The wider arm, narrower arm - taller stance lower stance mix match to make "new" models is stale.
  • To me I think the whole entire 3S is in serious need of a refresh
    • I think that since the Senton BLXs say out of stock until 6/2024 we may see a new Senton on the horizon soon

Give us other color options for the aluminum bits, red is getting old. Offer different colored bodies with the aluminum bits colored to match.

I think it's too far out of their wheelhouse.

HH already has crawler brands as well. Given how much of market they have, they'd just be cannibalizing sales to some extent.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back