Kraton Hobbywing 4990 with firma 160a esc question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottlongtown

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I have a spectrum 160a in a 6s kraton, I also have a hobbywing max6 g2 4990 motor, can I run this combo or will I have issues, it bench tested great on 3s just a little hesitant about putting 6s to it without knowing what might happen

Go for it. The Spektrum 160a ESC is a Max6 G1 in different colors, and it can handle the 4990 without question. You just won’t be using the sensored capability of the motor.

For the price of the combo being $240, highly recommend significantly upgrading to the 200Amp continuous ESC with bluetooth and sensored/datalogging capabilities.

Sell the 160A Firma, they go for ~125-$150 used.

Crazy how they still sit on ebay for $229 new. Only brand/telemetry supporters would really replace a Firma160A when a Max 6 G1 can be had around $100 new on AliX.

I looked on aliexpress for the max6 g2 and the price is basically the same as hobbywing I guess I'll just go thru hw and get it faster

I looked on aliexpress for the max6 g2 and the price is basically the same as hobbywing I guess I'll just go thru hw and get it faster
I doubt you’ll notice any power increase over the ESC you already own. Only the low speed sensored throttle would be noticeable.

Yeah I think your right but I could also use that temp sensor on the motor which would be nice, I can throw the firma in my other kraton, thanks for the info I'm going to run it and see

I literally went from a Firma 160A/4985 to this new combo in a heavyweight Big Rock. It’s much more responsive/smoother/efficient in cooling.

Same gearing and Lipos in my infraction vs MMX8S/1717 picked up 4mph from 132-136mph

IMG_0812.jpeg

IMG_3253.jpeg

Yeah I think your right but I could also use that temp sensor on the motor which would be nice, I can throw the firma in my other kraton, thanks for the info I'm going to run it and see
Unless something has changed recently, Hobbywing's motor temp sensors are a complete joke.

Motors begin to degrade at 180F, but the only cutoff options within the ESC settings are at 220F and 250F. Either I'm stupid or that doesn't make any sense.

Castle ESCs allow you to choose any 10 degree increment for cutoff.

Yeah that sucks to hear a 160 cutoff or just an alarm tone from the esc would be nice I have been looking at Bluetooth sensors but idk maybe that's stupid lol

Yeah that sucks to hear a 160 cutoff or just an alarm tone from the esc would be nice I have been looking at Bluetooth sensors but idk maybe that's stupid lol
If you really want to see motor temps, you can plug a physical temp sensor into some brands of receivers and see a live view of the temp on the transmitter screen. Additionally, you can view on Futaba transmitters with Castle ESCs without adding any physical temp sensor. Lastly, I've seen people mount temperature displays right on the car (also plugged into a physical sensor taped to the motor).

However, I personally don't think any of that is worth the trouble. I set my Castle ESCs to cut off at 180F and then just drive however I want. I can gear higher and don't have to worry about temps at all while driving.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back