Hobbywing Glitching?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What receiver and transmitter are you using? Motor, pinion, spur? Same battery for the 120 and 150 esc?

Did you buy the esc from Hobbywing (retail vs. OEM like Aliexpress)?

There is a possibility what you are experiencing is "cogging", that happens at start/low speeds where the ESC is trying to determine the motors RPM's, this becomes worse when larger pinions are used.. There is also a difference among ESC's on how well they determine this for sensorless setups. It could be your 120 SCT esc is a "higher tier (faster processor, better monitoring)" esc than the 150 Quickrun.

I have a HW 10bl60 that has tall gearing and cogs like crazy. Drives like a 2 stroke with a power band, loads of fun 😆.
you would think these more expensive 150 ampers would have no throttle jumpiness?

using tactic pistol and reciever for 12 years now. great radio, x team 3800 motor 22 tooth pinion arrma stalk spur.

you would think these more expensive 150 ampers would have no throttle jumpiness?

using tactic pistol and reciever for 12 years now. great radio, x team 3800 motor 22 tooth pinion arrma stalk spur.
I bought it off ali express but it had legit sticker on it from hobbywing?? if I buy from US hobbywing is there free replacment if this happens again?? or are all of them glitchy??

I bought it off ali express but it had legit sticker on it from hobbywing?? if I buy from US hobbywing is there free replacment if this happens again?? or are all of them glitchy??

here is my vid on youtube for this problem!!!

Last edited:

here is my vid on youtube for this problem!!!

That's the interesting thing, the quickrun 150 is actually the most budget entry level HW 150amp esc you can buy.

What rig are you running? Looks like a 3S Big Rock? 22T pinion with a 3800kV motor is really tall gearing. Stock is a 15 tooth on a 3200kV motor. You could try a 15t to test. That does look like bad cogging. Could also try a lower kV motor.

I have heard of a couple problems with the oem versions of the HW esc's here on the forum, sometimes you never know 100% what you are getting from some of the other sources. If you got it from HW direct I am guessing they would have you send it in to be tested.

I ran into a situation with an RC with tall gearing where one cheap ESC could barely make the truck move, gear down and it was better. Swapped out to a different esc and the cogging effect was far less noticeable.

For sensorless systems the ESC has to detect the back EMF from the motor to determine the location of the rotor from the stator. A process not to be taken lightly, the ESC design will make a large difference on how well this is accomplished.

Edit: stock motor is 3200kV.

Last edited:
Back