Hobbywing Max6 vs BLX185 in an outcast for 4S.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

Bash Break Repeat!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Outcast 6s
I wonder if the max6 can handle the heat better than the BLX185 in my outcast. I keep going into thermal with it when running 4S. I geared down to 14/50, added a motor fan and it still did it to me yesterday. I tried 6S, set my throttle EPA to 75% just to see of more volts would result in less heat, it didn't. I suppose I could gear down further with 6S and still get decent speed, but currently all I have are 2S packs (I have 14 of them), which I run in all my trucks.

Just checking to see if anyone else ran this esc. I'm guessing most just run 6S if they do have it.

Personally, I don't care for the lack of info you get from the BLX185. I like my castle esc's that beep at me, so I know it's seeing the cells from the startup beeps and I know when it hit's LVC, overheats or loses signal from the receiver, I get different beep tones. With the BLX185, I have to pull the body, move wires around to see a flashing led that's buried down in the ESC. Just not as convenient.

I'm not sure what a hobbywing esc does for beeps.

My Max 8 v3 beeps once for each cell detected on start up. Not sure if the 6 is the same. As far as low volt, I have never paid any attention and it always seems to be 50' away when it shuts down so I probably wouldn't hear it anyway. My old 185 would thermal if the punch setting was below 6. If it was higher it never did it. Still don't understand that. Always run on 6s.

My Max 8 v3 beeps once for each cell detected on start up. Not sure if the 6 is the same. As far as low volt, I have never paid any attention and it always seems to be 50' away when it shuts down so I probably wouldn't hear it anyway. My old 185 would thermal if the punch setting was below 6. If it was higher it never did it. Still don't understand that. Always run on 6s.

My Max6 doesn't beep the amount of cells it detects.

Does it beep if it overheats?

Never had it over heat. The stock ESC went into thermal shut down and wouldn't reset. Brought it to the hobby shop and they couldn't fix it either so I said put something in it that's bigger and better than the stock one cause I'm not putting up with that again. Haha

The max5 seems kind of big, which is why I was thinking of the max6 vs going with a castle MMv2. I have the MMX in my savage flux, but pretty sure it overheats on me too once in a while. I stepped down 1T on the pinion which seemed to fix that.

Castle doesn't appear to have a middle ground esc like the max6. It's either MMv2/MMX or the 1/5th esc. It's irritating that they don't list the max running amps the esc can handle so you can compare things more easily. They just list the vehicle weight, which is somewhat irrelevant depending on the motor/kv of the motor and gearing. The Sidewinder 1/8 is for 11lbs or less, MMv2/MMX are for 15lbs or less, MXLX is for 30lbs or less. So, 120A, 150A/150A or 300A? Who knows...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back