Hobbywing Max8 Failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mlenn

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I'm worried my ESC is fried but just wondered if anyone else has had the same issue. I recently hooked up my batteries to my max8, and it came straight on, turned out the switch had burned out and short circuited. I bought and fitted a new switch which now works as it should. However, when I switch it on, the fan works, steering works, but no drive. There is also no led on the esc, and I can't use the set button to calibrate or reset. Is there any hope or is it heading for the trash?

To calibrate the esc without a set button first, turn on tx then hold full throttle, and then turn car power on, the motor should beep a couple times, then release it to neutral position and the motor beeps again. This should calibrate it for you. 👍🏻
BE ready to turn power off if the throttle gets set to wrong position if you don’t set it correctly.

To calibrate the esc without a set button first, turn on tx then hold full throttle, and then turn car power on, the motor should beep a couple times, then release it to neutral position and the motor beeps again. This should calibrate it for you. 👍🏻
BE ready to turn power off if the throttle gets set to wrong position if you don’t set it correctly.
Thanks for the reply - just tried that and no beeps, and still no led light, but fan is kicking in and I have steering.

You could try switching channels to rule out the radio and receiver. (See it the trigger works the servo...) Also unplug the steering servo and try both channels with the esc.. I’d also remove the wheels while I’m doing this in case it starts working.

You could try switching channels to rule out the radio and receiver. (See it the trigger works the servo...) Also unplug the steering servo and try both channels with the esc.. I’d also remove the wheels while I’m doing this in case it starts working.
Hi - thanks for the reply. Just tried that this morning and the trigger works the steering so both channels are working. Had also tried a different receiver with the same results.

Than I guess it’s new esc time. Do you have another esc or at least another car and some long extension wires where you could swap wires and do a little more testing. Maybe a hobbystore near by to have them look it over. I’d hate for you to get another esc and still not solve the issue but it sure seems that it is.

Than I guess it’s new esc time. Do you have another esc or at least another car and some long extension wires where you could swap wires and do a little more testing. Maybe a hobbystore near by to have them look it over. I’d hate for you to get another esc and still not solve the issue but it sure seems that it is.
Yes I do have another max8 which is working fine in another rig so I'll do a bit of swapping about before i bin it. Cheers for all the advice, love the hobby but hate electrucs!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back