Experiences with the new HobbyWing G2 series, or, HobbyWing G2 failure thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan B.

Area man
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Limitless
  4. Mojave EXB
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 6s
  7. Typhon 6s
There are crazy numbers of reports of problems with the new HobbyWing sensored G2 ESC’s. Most of the ones I’ve seen were from the Max 8 and the Max 4.
Any feedback from those running them, or failure of any other series?
I have the new Max 10 G2 waiting to be installed on the 1/10 Rlaarlo and was curious how the system was treating others.

I have a max 8 g2, three max 4 and a max 5 g2. I actually haven't had any problems with the g2 esc yet though I've only run the max 5 once. It was on 12s and it performed great. I had a max 4 blow up and the spare I bought has been running great.

Max4 here with a 70125 motor on 12S, about a month old. So far it's good got quote a few packs through it, just bummed about lack of options for settings.
Yea man I really don't get it, hobbywing is slacking big time with the no timing adjustment on a 450$ esc.

All of my HW 1/10 XR10 pro's (5) have performed flawlessly , 2 are 5 years old now , and I can't even begin to think of how many races / practice packs have gone through them . Only used a Max 5 in my K8S that I maybe ran 5-6 times , but sold , so don't know how long term is for them . My new HW XR8 Plus in my Tekno 1/8 buggy , well , haven't ran it yet . This is interesting cause I would think HW is a very well known / reliable / tuff product . Even their motors are in my race rigs with hundreds of runs on them .

The max8 G2 is blacklisted forever. The first one blew flames out of its side, I think everyone has already seen the picture. The second one has severe mental issues. Both have been pushed out to the curb. With that said, my SCT 10 has performed very well, and my max6 I really like and consider it to be a good purchase.

Hobby wing issues saga continues 😂
Other than that I personally don’t have any useful advice 😅
Yeah and then you have the CC ESC issues. It goes on and on. Some have luck with ESC's and others not.
I just don't see any accurate information on the numbers of unit failures vs volume produced. And those that have had issues regradless of the brand or model, we honestly don't know how they were used, if user error was part of it.
Lets face it most ESC's are generally a mixed bag. If it works out the box and for quite a while, then you likely got a good one. A failure thereafter is usually user error. How I see it. But surely QC is not the best these days. No matter the brand or model.
Newly released stuff can be questionable, no matter what.
The HW Zerun, top tier line, has treated me well, inlcuding my XR8 PLus G2 Combo.
Has anyone complained of the XR8 Pro yet???? I haven't seen any.
Also a worthy consideration for a 4s ESC. A track Grade ESC.
I also have many Quickrun and EZrun 3s ESC's, going strong for years. Despite not being WP.

Last edited:
Tried my max5 g2 last night in the dbxl with a tp 5870 750kv on 12s and it was great. I'm starting to like this new max 5. I'd probably still pick the xlx2 if staying 8s though.

My bro picked up a max8 G2 combo (4268) for his v1 Maxx. Only been run on 3 and 4s thus far but, wow! That sumbitch is woke!!😉😮🤣🤣
See how it goes I guess.
+1 on HW fans and water/snow.. mine Kaiju esc has been "on ice" more times than I can say!! Still going!?🤷‍♂️
We have 4 Max 6's between us, love em!👍

I guess I can express how disappointed/pissed I am with the max5 g2. Hesitating and the same setup didn’t with the g1. I’m just taking a break from both my big rigs for a few. I’ll come back and maybe more info will available by then 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'll be sticking with the G1 stuff that I have until I feel HW has got things straightened out. I just picked up a V1 K8S, which has a Firma 160. Close enough to a G1 Max6 in my book, better actually since it offers 8.4v BEC. Also picked up a Firma 160 G2/1100 combo. Which should also be a rebranded max6 G1 I believe.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back