How I wrapped Backflip LPs - EDIT comparison video added

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JtkBrew

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
I googled this for awhile looking for a solution and didn't see much. Posting this incase someone else is looking too.

I just got some new Backflip LP tires and wanted to wrap them with braided line. My initial plan when looking at pictures was to dremel a slot in the lugs indicated below and wrap it there.

20200313_042627.jpg

Then I saw this video from @Bournemouth RC and decided to thread them through the same lug.

I made one modification to his method. I pulled the thread through the needle so I had 2 equal pieces hanging from the needle and long enough to go around the tire twice plus some spare. So I was effectively doing 2 wraps each time I went around. Went around twice for a total of 4 wraps, tied 2 knots, glued it and repeated on the other side of the tire. It looks like 2 wraps, but if you look close there's actually 2 lines really close to each other because they get pulled tight together.

20200312_173329.jpg

Took it out yesterday and saw little to no ballooning. I'll probably do a video on the stand later today to show the real world effect.

That’s a great Idea ?? I like strapping on the outer side of the tire so it still has some ballooning but not out of control pizza cutting. I’ve gotta get me some BFLP’s ??

Great idea is ballooning really a issue though?

Thanks. Probably not as big of deal with the LP version of the tire. However, I didn't want them to to balloon and rip or come off the rim. Doing the wraps cost me $10 and some time. Plus, I have line left over to do other tires in the future. To me it was worth it for $60 tires.

That’s a great Idea ?? I like strapping on the outer side of the tire so it still has some ballooning but not out of control pizza cutting. I’ve gotta get me some BFLP’s ??

Thanks. I thought about wrapping them in the groove toward the outside, but went with this for now. Not trying to do a bunch of standing backflips, which ballooning does help with.

I googled this for awhile looking for a solution and didn't see much. Posting this incase someone else is looking too.

I just got some new Backflip LP tires and wanted to wrap them with braided line. My initial plan when looking at pictures was to dremel a slot in the lugs indicated below and wrap it there.

View attachment 69663

Then I saw this video from @Bournemouth RC and decided to thread them through the same lug.

I made one modification to his method. I pulled the thread through the needle so I had 2 equal pieces hanging from the needle and long enough to go around the tire twice plus some spare. So I was effectively doing 2 wraps each time I went around. Went around twice for a total of 4 wraps, tied 2 knots, glued it and repeated on the other side of the tire. It looks like 2 wraps, but if you look close there's actually 2 lines really close to each other because they get pulled tight together.

View attachment 69664

Took it out yesterday and saw little to no ballooning. I'll probably do a video on the stand later today to show the real world effect.
I've been running the Lp's on my Noto 6s since late 2019, and can't say I felt they needed to be wrapped. I do check the bead often and reglue if necessary. I used the line through the lug system on 2.8 Badlands once, and it is very good until a line snaps. Reapplying takes a lot of time and effort. Based on recommendations here on the forum, a few of us are trying nitrile o rings to help stop ballooning on the Badlands. Hopefully testing will start soon, as the weather hasn't quite turned enough for consistent running.

I've been running the Lp's on my Noto 6s since late 2019, and can't say I felt they needed to be wrapped. I do check the bead often and reglue if necessary. I used the line through the lug system on 2.8 Badlands once, and it is very good until a line snaps. Reapplying takes a lot of time and effort. Based on recommendations here on the forum, a few of us are trying nitrile o rings to help stop ballooning on the Badlands. Hopefully testing will start soon, as the weather hasn't quite turned enough for consistent running.

I have seen the thread you're talking about with the o-rings. I can see this being a pain if a line breaks. Guess I'll deal with that when it happens. Part of this was just me experimenting. I actually only got 2 tires wrapped right now (put them on the front yesterday), so I'm definitely going to make a comparison video today and will post.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back