How many fans can the STX2 receiver power from 1 port?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgt_Nutcase

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
Hey there my rc car gets a little toasty so i was wondering how many fans can 1 port from an stx2 receiver power?

Im running 4s if that helps.

Typical fans (.1 to .2A) you are probably ok up to 1A or 5 to 10 fans. You would have to check on more powerful fans.
I'm running an esc fan, two fans on the motor and an edf for added flow in the cabin without issues. No noticeable difference in run times either ;)

20200820_172634.jpg

20200914_111803.jpg

EDIT: forgot to add, the edf has a 12 volt motor but even at around half voltage it spews air like a teen who just got drunk for the first time vomits...

Last edited:
I'm running an esc fan, two fans on the motor and an edf for added flow in the cabin without issues. No noticeable difference in run times either ;)

View attachment 99884

View attachment 99885

EDIT: forgot to add, the edf has a 12 volt motor but even at around half voltage it spews air like a teen who just got drunk for the first time vomits...
What motor are you running the EDF on? Brushed?

What current draw do you have on the EDF? I'd think that would be a little too much for your ESC assuming you have strong servo.
Keep in mind that main current from the ESC/BEC goes to the servo, the difference between max BEX current and servo draw is what you have available Servos suck quite a bit.
You could switch to 12V fans in general, I just did that and run them on 7.4V. Easily twice the airflow of the 'turbo' stuff and a lot more resilient.

What current draw do you have on the EDF? I'd think that would be a little too much for your ESC assuming you have strong servo.
Keep in mind that main current from the ESC/BEC goes to the servo, the difference between max BEX current and servo draw is what you have available Servos suck quite a bit.
You could switch to 12V fans in general, I just did that and run them on 7.4V. Easily twice the airflow of the 'turbo' stuff and a lot more resilient.
Which 12v fan do you have? I run Surpass Rocket fans (28.000rpm) on 8.4v and they move some serious air; making the Hobbywing 6v fan look like a complete beginner fan. I like to play and test things, so am interested in a ever more powerful fan.

I'm using the ones listed below. They are 36mm and fit perfect in the stock 35mm configuration, they are just taller.
On 7.4V they get about ~ 7.5 CFM which is higher than the stock Max6 fan or any of the turbo fans on stock voltage.
On 12V they get up to 15CFM and that is more air than I ever need. Eliminated my Max6 overheat issue.
Sanyo San Ace 9GV3612P3G03
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/sanyo-denki-america-inc/9GV3612P3G03/1688-1697-ND/6192413

This was the highest CFM I could find that fit into the 35mm frame.

Comparing them to my rocket clones, I'd say they are equal on 7.4V, the Sanyo will blow away the rocket one on 12V (literally).

I currently run them on Kraton, Talion (12V) and Infraction (7.4V)

Please can you post or pm a few detailed pics... thats getting creative juices flowing. Whats the fluffy guard made from?!
The padding is just packing foam sheet I cut up from one of my Amazon shipments. Held on by zip ties, easiest way without modifying the model itself. I got the screen from a small strainer to keep out rocks. The whole thing is held together with some shoe goo...

20200914_142940.jpg

20200914_142920.jpg

I don't know, whatever the stock esc puts out on the Kraton. Been running it for a month without issue ;)

The fans on the motor are what came with the heatsync and the esc fan is what came with that. I don't know what manufacturer made the edf I am using as I bought it over 6 years ago :(

If it ain't broken don't fix it i.. if it works leave it be ;)

Your servo (same as mine) is in the 4A range and stock ESC can sustain 5A.
Does this EDF actually help or does it just sound cool? :unsure:

It's a good idea if you are running a dusty cover or closed body to get some air in.

The padding is just packing foam sheet I cut up from one of my Amazon shipments. Held on by zip ties, easiest way without modifying the model itself. I got the screen from a small strainer to keep out rocks. The whole thing is held together with some shoe goo...

View attachment 99898

View attachment 99899

I don't know, whatever the stock esc puts out on the Kraton. Been running it for a month without issue ;)

The fans on the motor are what came with the heatsync and the esc fan is what came with that. I don't know what manufacturer made the edf I am using as I bought it over 6 years ago :(
Love it :)

If it ain't broken don't fix it i.. if it works leave it be ;)

Your servo (same as mine) is in the 4A range and stock ESC can sustain 5A.
Does this EDF actually help or does it just sound cool? :unsure:

It's a good idea if you are running a dusty cover or closed body to get some air in.
It makes a HUGE difference. My temps went from around 200°f to around 140ish just adding the edf during the 100+ temps we were having in Texas. The body seals up surprisingly well keeping all that heat trapped inside. Now, with the edf, it's blown out the back ;)

Here's what it sounds like:

Wow, that EDF is impressive!

I have access to an abundance of 12V fans at work, and I found that they run very slow on the 6V(?) that the receiver and/or stock BLX ESC puts out.

Maybe this is crazy, but I made a bunch of harnesses to run the fans directly off the battery balance leads. Since there is no fusing, I added a 0.5A fuse to protect the batteries from some catastrophic event if the fan were to stall and short out.

1600129743301.png

That is actually the right idea. Good work on that harness, I was thinking about the same but never considered a fuse.
Currently running a 12V BEC (Amazon cheapo), next is 2 fans in series for 24V on a harness like yours.

Wow, that EDF is impressive!

I have access to an abundance of 12V fans at work, and I found that they run very slow on the 6V(?) that the receiver and/or stock BLX ESC puts out.

Maybe this is crazy, but I made a bunch of harnesses to run the fans directly off the battery balance leads. Since there is no fusing, I added a 0.5A fuse to protect the batteries from some catastrophic event if the fan were to stall and short out.

View attachment 99956
If you're using electronics fans they are not designed to pump out air at lower voltages. You have to look for brushed fans. They'll provide more thrust even at lower voltages...or get yourself a two inch edf. That sucker still pumps out air at whatever the receiver is giving it ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back