How to prevent the 1717 1650kv from exploding again?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if TP usa will ship to you guys? I know they shipped to someone in canada.
They do. Shipping on a single motor is $28.55. Might be a viable option cuz I'd have to pay import and VAT fees from Islandhobbynut and ONYX as well so...I'mma keep this in my back pocket. Thanks for reminding me to check. (y)

it'll be dispatched by Monday
How did you know?:cool:

While the website said the 1400kv was in stock, it was not. So I will probably order from TP USA. I hope the import fees don't kick too hard...

And MR ropuwell said he will close the online shop, hence the ongoing clearance sale.:confused:

I think the 1800kv version is too aggressive for 8s bashing and the low temps and amps that I want.

How did you know?:cool:

While the website said the 1400kv was in stock, it was not. So I will probably order from TP USA. I hope the import fees don't kick too hard...

And MR ropuwell said he will close the online shop, hence the ongoing clearance sale.:confused:

I think the 1800kv version is too aggressive for 8s bashing and the low temps and amps that I want.
That's the power of the gut instinct of old men. :LOL:

Bummer about him shutting up shop too. I guess TP USA and ONYX it is from here on out. And Island Hobby Nut too, probably.

The 4070 arrived :)
After soldering I ran both motors with no load on a 3s (11,5V) lipo.

According to my own castle esc readings, the KV ratings are very similar:
4070cm 1400KV = 1540KV
1717 1650KV = 1590KV
They seem to measure KV slightly differently.

Glad I did not buy the 1800KV version

IMG_20240307_174642.jpg

Tough question. The 1717 makes a bit more electronic noises, but both spun quite smooth.

Turning the rotors by hand the 4070 wins with a stronger, more defined 12-slot stator feel.:LOL:

That's the power of the gut instinct of old men. :LOL:

Bummer about him shutting up shop too. I guess TP USA and ONYX it is from here on out. And Island Hobby Nut too, probably.
There is also R mamba/R snake on ebay/aliexpress. It's the same person and he is official tp distro as well. I've ordered a few from him and everything was on the up and up. He even helped me get my hands on end caps for some of my motors when I couldn't find them anywhere else and tpusa was no help.

https://www.ebay.com/str/rmambabrushless

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1101939003

The 4070 arrived :)
After soldering I ran both motors with no load on a 3s (11,5V) lipo.

According to my own castle esc readings, the KV ratings are very similar:
4070cm 1400KV = 1540KV
1717 1650KV = 1590KV
They seem to measure KV slightly differently.

Glad I did not buy the 1800KV version

View attachment 353035
Funny enough, apparently all of tp motors rate higher on kv than they list on the website. I bet my 1700kv is more like 1800 :ROFLMAO:

There is also R mamba/R snake on ebay/aliexpress. It's the same person and he is official tp distro as well. I've ordered a few from him and everything was on the up and up. He even helped me get my hands on end caps for some of my motors when I couldn't find them anywhere else and tpusa was no help.

https://www.ebay.com/str/rmambabrushless

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1101939003

Funny enough, apparently all of tp motors rate higher on kv than they list on the website. I bet my 1700kv is more like 1800 :ROFLMAO:
Are his prices usually lower on Ali?

So far I like the 4070, subjectively the motor can was a little warmer (at around 50 Celsius) than the 1717, but I will have to check with a temp gun.
ESC temp was at 34 degrees Celsius! But I used the same 22/43 gearing as with the 1717 motor. This resulted in less performance, since lower KV and lower speeds. The 1717 probably would have reached 49kRPM...
I will gear up and see what happens with the temps.

I also mounted the MMX8s with a 0.5mm thick thermal pad on the 3mm aluminium chassis, maybe this helped with the temps too.

Screenshot 2024-03-29 192145.png

Back