How to prevent the 1717 1650kv from exploding again?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is definitely a good time to plug tp motors though. Ive gotten a 4060cm 2080 kv to 240f cause of broken fan and i still use that poop today with zero issues šŸ¤£
Wish they would make a 49mm x ~90mm configuration to fit an infraction v2 and compete with HW. I'd run it with a MMX8S

This is wild! I'm surprised to see this is still happening to some people. I have a few builds with the 1717 1650kv and have never had this happen. I guess now that I think about it I've not bashed them on 8s that often. I used to have one in a felony that I bashed on 8s a decent amount but my others are mostly 6s off road bashers.

This is definitely a good time to plug tp motors though. Ive gotten a 4060cm 2080 kv to 240f cause of broken fan and i still use that poop today with zero issues šŸ¤£
Are the speed run CM/SCM/SVM motors any better than the normal motors for regular bashing?

Wish they would make a 49mm x ~90mm configuration to fit an infraction v2 and compete with HW. I'd run it with a MMX8S
Totally agree. I think a TP motor between 40mm and 56mm would be popular.

This is wild! I'm surprised to see this is still happening to some people. I have a few builds with the 1717 1650kv and have never had this happen. I guess now that I think about it I've not bashed them on 8s that often. I used to have one in a felony that I bashed on 8s a decent amount but my others are mostly 6s off road bashers.

Killed mine parking lot bashing on 8s was fine for over a year 6s bashing.

They have something like 58x84 and I have one in my infraction actually. šŸ¤£ Con is they don't stock that size so you have to go to build your own and it will take like 3 to 4 weeks. Really dunno why they stopped stocking it. It was there when I first got into the hobby 2 and a half years ago.

https://www.tppowerusa.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=20_27_63

1707760279879.png

1707760300069.png

IIRC I have the 5840s though I wish I spent the extra few dollars for the 5840L just because it's supposed to be even better but yea I have no complaints. I'd pick this over a hobbywing motor all day everyday and twice on sunday. I'd sooner reverse motor mount and put in a tp 4070 before I run hobbywing combo in on road basher lol.

Are the speed run CM/SCM/SVM motors any better than the normal motors for regular bashing?

Totally agree. I think a TP motor between 40mm and 56mm would be popular.

The cm motors are built slightly different and are even higher quality. I've still yet to have any tp motor go bad on me though I dunno if a non cm motor could have survived 240f with zero dmg/performance loss. The CM sure took it like a champ though.

Have a TP Power 2100 KV in my Hobarrma ( Hobao gtb with loads of Arrma parts MMX 8S ) never let me down
The 4050? haha I crashed into a concrete curb head on with that motor in a limitless and it still worked great for months after the fact. Eventually it had a piece on the inside break off but I don't even hold it against them since it was my fault. :ROFLMAO:

The 4050? haha I crashed into a concrete curb head on with that motor in a limitless and it still worked great for months after the fact. Eventually it had a piece on the inside break off but I don't even hold it against them since it was my fault. :ROFLMAO:
Run TP in my 3 boats . what you get for the price is hard to beat . boats are hard on motors / batterys

Run TP in my 3 boats . what you get for the price is hard to beat . boats are hard on motors / batterys
Subbed to your youtube . As a guy who runs TP what would you recommend for a Infraction bash car using stock motor position PPS Motor mount would a 56 work

Subbed to your youtube . As a guy who runs TP what would you recommend for a Infraction bash car using stock motor position PPS Motor mount would a 56 work
Thanks bro! I would recommend the tp 5840L 1460kv or 1170kv. Assuming you're able to get that from the UK TP dealer.

Your killing me :love: just need a little help
Thanks bro! I would recommend the tp 5840L 1460kv or 1170kv. Assuming you're able to get that from the UK TP dealer.
Thanks will import if i have too . just trying to build a killer drift car ( have xlx2 . scorched everything apart from chassies )

Your killing me :love: just need a little help

Thanks will import if i have too . just trying to build a killer drift car ( have xlx2 . scorched everything apart from chassies )
Are you running the Vipaz tires? I've found the GRP tires are terrible for drifting because they cause unnecessary strain on the electronics. The 1717 castle motor is fine for everything except the GRPs.

Are you running the Vipaz tires? I've found the GRP tires are terrible for drifting because they cause unnecessary strain on the electronics. The 1717 castle motor is fine for everything except the GRPs.
yes on HPI Wheels was using GRP S7s which do get sticky

Ran Grp on 6s no problem for 18 months

when the 1717 let go it was on the vipaz

when the 1717 let go it was on the vipaz . Maybe the damage was already done

Last edited:
I think the TP power DE warehouse has some old motor models to get rid of. A 4070cm costs 123ā‚¬ with delivery. My replacement 1717 was 170ā‚¬:oops:.

For medium load 8s bashing 1400kv or 1800kv? Some of you said the 4070 1700kv was quite cool, also on 8s?

Screenshot 2024-02-14 115528.png

Screenshot 2024-02-14 115636.png

You can set the end points on the throttle channel to e.g. 70% on some transmitters. That'll keep motor rpm down. However, I don't notice much difference in motor temps between 50-70-100%, so I'd still be careful if you're worried about overheating and damaging your motor. It's mainly accelerating and braking that generates heat.

I think the TP power DE warehouse has some old motor models to get rid of. A 4070cm costs 123ā‚¬ with delivery. My replacement 1717 was 170ā‚¬:oops:.

For medium load 8s bashing 1400kv or 1800kv? Some of you said the 4070 1700kv was quite cool, also on 8s?

View attachment 348514

View attachment 348515
I love the 1700 on 6s and 8s.

1700 on 8s

So I ordered a 4070cm 1400kv for 8s use. I'm very interested in how it performs since most guys on the forum are running high kv tp motors.

I don't know if I get impatient too soon, but I ordered it on 18.02. and the last status update is "seen" on 18.02. afternoon. I also got no email...
@Diem Turner Have you already bought stuff from the German TP seller? If so, what were your delivery times like? (https://tppower.de/)

So I ordered a 4070cm 1400kv for 8s use. I'm very interested in how it performs since most guys on the forum are running high kv tp motors.

I don't know if I get impatient too soon, but I ordered it on 18.02. and the last status update is "seen" on 18.02. afternoon. I also got no email...
@Diem Turner Have you already bought stuff from the German TP seller? If so, what were your delivery times like? (https://tppower.de/)
Ah yes, Mr. Ropuwell. Yeah, I've ordered two motors from him. One off the shelf 4080CM and one custom ordered 5680 (he used to order stuff he didn't have on hand but stopped doing that in the spring of '23 unfortunately). I ordered the 4080 on March 13th but it wasn't dispatched until the 17th so, he's not the fastest but nothing extreme. He had told me that he stopped taking custom orders cuz he didn't have the time for it so , just be patient. I imagine it'll be dispatched by Monday. If not, just send him an email and ask. He's a nice fella. The 5680 isn't really a fair comparison. That was ordered on May 9th and dispatched on June 21st. Custom orders just take a little longer.

I was disappointed to discover that ttpowereurope.com has closed. They operated out of NL. That was the only other place on the continent I'm aware of that had a big variety of different TP motors you could get there. I guess now there's just Islandhobbynut in the US and ONYX in the UK left as sources for TP motors. It's kind of a bummer but, iiwii.

I wonder if TP usa will ship to you guys? I know they shipped to someone in canada.

Back