Talion How to Control your ARRMA 6S Talion in the Air?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IvanRC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion EXB
I just completed my first repair and I decided to take my Talion out today to get some air for the 1st time. I am new to the 1/8th scale Truggy. I am not sure if I was going off to big (incline) of a hill or maybe not committing to enough speed but almost every time I left the ground my Talion landed nose first. I took my finger of the gas as soon as it was air born in hopes the Talion would just float, but it seemed to be always nose heavy and dive toward the ground. I am running 6S, with a 17T pinion gear and Punch Level 7 and stock tires. My brake setting has also been increased and I am installing a Power Hobby 760MG Servo this weekend. Can anyone give me some advice as how to get my nose up for a better and safer landing. If you have any video links as well, that would be greatly appreciated.

Any adive to help me enjoy this new car and not just trash it would be super helpful. I lost out on the last two weeks due to bending my shock shaft my second day running it.

Thank you all in advance!

You did the opposite of what you should do. When you're in the air, you hit the throttle to bring the nose up and brakes to bring it down. So if you want to do a flip for example, you hold the throttle until you flip and then tap brakes when you level out or just let go of throttle at the right time. You'll get it in no time!

Also, with non belted tires you need to be careful because if you jam throttle in the air while you are geared really high they can blow tires.

Hard to explain, but I'll try... get going whatever speed you're comfortable with, as soon as the front of the car breaches the beginning of the hill/ramp/ jump, let off the throttle for a split second and immediately punch it, this has to be done quickly, and it will send the nose up. It may take some practice, but you'll get it. Electric motors are funny, they react quicker than you can, don't be afraid to play around and try different approach speeds and timing of letting off/punching it. Hope that makes sense

You did the opposite of what you should do. When you're in the air, you hit the throttle to bring the nose up and brakes to bring it down. So if you want to do a flip for example, you hold the throttle until you flip and then tap brakes when you level out or just let go of throttle at the right time. You'll get it in no time!

Also, with non belted tires you need to be careful because if you jam throttle in the air while you are geared really high they can blow tires.
I'm not a sender...yet..lol. Does that procedure work for all rc vehicles including both 2w and 4wd?

I'm not a sender...yet..lol. Does that procedure work for all rc vehicles including both 2w and 4wd?
I don't know about 2wd but it works for all the 4wd I've tried.

Works for almost anything with a motor and rotating tires... atvs, dirt bikes, monster trucks lol, that's why those guys are always burping the throttle on big sends, to keep the nose up.
You can thank that Newton guy and his silly physics laws for the why

Last edited:
Hello, full sender here. I’ve sent just about everything worth sending lol. I’ll contribute to this topic. Hope it helps.

Get familiarized w the power of ur rig and where the sweet spot is. Usually at the point where non belted tires begin to balloon bout 3/4 throttle (also depending on gearing and wheels).
Once you’re feeling familiar w the power band and controlling at speeds w tires expanding, take a few passes around. You’re gonna want to be sure to hit whatever you’re using for some air nice and straight.

It doesn’t take much to make a big send!!

When u send and stay in the throttle you should expect a backflip. Try not to panic and let it rotate. Stay in the throttle to bring her around. Leave a little throttle in reserve in case you need to correct. Try not to land on throttle or you can expect axle/diff issues.
If you send and the rear is coming down first, grab some brake to bring the nose back down. For a level flight send, build ur speed up and let out of throttle just before take off!! Try to time is when the suspension preloads and let off. You may need to tap throttle to bring nose up so be ready.
Most importantly is not to panic. Commit fully and watch the way the rig starts to rotate as she takes flight to determine what action is needed. Throttle= nose up. Brake = nose down. Breath!!

Peep my YouTube to see some crazy sends and fails! Lol.

And remember to land with the throttle in neutral.
How did I forget to mention this lol.
Hello, full sender here. I’ve sent just about everything worth sending lol. I’ll contribute to this topic. Hope it helps.

Get familiarized w the power of ur rig and where the sweet spot is. Usually at the point where non belted tires begin to balloon bout 3/4 throttle (also depending on gearing and wheels).
Once you’re feeling familiar w the power band and controlling at speeds w tires expanding, take a few passes around. You’re gonna want to be sure to hit whatever you’re using for some air nice and straight.

When u send and stay in the throttle you should expect a backflip. Try not to panic and let it rotate. Stay in the throttle to bring her around. Leave a little throttle in reserve in case you need to correct. Try not to land on throttle or you can expect axle/diff issues.
If you send and the rear is coming down first, grab some brake to bring the nose back down. For a level flight send, build ur speed up and let out of throttle just before take off!! Try to time is when the suspension preloads and let off. You may need to tap throttle to bring nose up so be ready.
Most importantly is not to panic. Commit fully and watch the way the rig starts to rotate as she takes flight to determine what action is needed. Throttle= nose up. Brake = nose down. Breath!!

Bro you gotta add that youtube to your sig!! :ROFLMAO:

Need to throttle in air to bring the nose up. Also I would recommend 4s backflips for more air control. There is many more things at play here but that’s a start
This is good advice if you keep planning on jumping the Talion. I have one also and I had similar issues with the nose coming down at first. The 4s Backflips give much better air control and can take landings better. These will give you a better sense of how the throttle controls the pitch of the car since they are much more responsive in the air. Once you learn on bigger tires you can go back to the stock tires and you will be much better.

If the nose points down or the rear bucks up off of a jump and you’re giving it throttle with no reaction, stab the brakes and turn it into a front flip.
Man this happened to the wifey and I the other day and I didn't think about it until I was watching the footage. I nose dived my xmaxx because the rear end kicked up and it would not correct. Hitting the brakes would have saved it so easily!! It's almost ingrained into us to hit the throttle to correct though so it definitely will take some getting used to haha.

Thank you for the explanation. Is it also true to make sure you are off the throttle and in neutral when you land? I heard you can jam your gear that way.

Thank you for the advice on the non-belted tires. I am waiting for my 4S Backflips.

Do you get decent air control with the stock belted tires on the Talion.

Thank you for the explanation. Is it also true to make sure you are off the throttle and in neutral when you land? I heard you can jam your gear that way.

Thank you for the advice on the non-belted tires. I am waiting for my 4S Backflips.

Do you get decent air control with the stock belted tires on the Talion.

Yea its true, you never want to land on hard throttle. Sometimes landing on throttle is unavoidable but make sure you never land on hard throttle. Stock Talion tires are not the best for air control. I mean they work but backflips will be a night and day difference.

Hard to explain, but I'll try... get going whatever speed you're comfortable with, as soon as the front of the car breaches the beginning of the hill/ramp/ jump, let off the throttle for a split second and immediately punch it, this has to be done quickly, and it will send the nose up. It may take some practice, but you'll get it. Electric motors are funny, they react quicker than you can, don't be afraid to play around and try different approach speeds and timing of letting off/punching it. Hope that makes sense
Makes 100% Sense. I can’t be nervous that I will land hard and mess up. All parts are replaceable. Better than landing hard on the nose
Need to throttle in air to bring the nose up. Also I would recommend 4s backflips for more air control. There is many more things at play here but that’s a start
That seems to be everyone’s recommendation for new tires. I am currently waiting for them. Thank you for the advice.

Amazing breakdown for a noobie like me. I appreciate you taking your time to break it down like us and post this in detail.

Can you provide your you tube channel, I would like to subscribe.
MFM,

Drop your link

Last edited:
If the nose points down or the rear bucks up off of a jump and you’re giving it throttle with no reaction, stab the brakes and turn it into a front flip.
Mr. Duke,

Super sick video. Gad me on edge. I can’t wait to have control like that. You make it look super fun to have a Talion, once you know what you are doing.

Can I ask a favor. How far down in mm are your Pre-load shock collars. I’m trying to get mine dialed in and you look to have the perfect balance for those big air landings.

Also do you keep your ride height even or do you pitch forward?

Appreciate you and look forward to the next video 🤙🏻

Since this applies to all rc's, should probably be a sticky. Save most of you big $ since most of your time running is spent in the air! :unsure:

Makes 100% Sense. I can’t be nervous that I will land hard and mess up. All parts are replaceable. Better than landing hard on the nose

That seems to be everyone’s recommendation for new tires. I am currently waiting for them. Thank you for the advice.

Amazing breakdown for a noobie like me. I appreciate you taking your time to break it down like us and post this in detail.

Can you provide your you tube channel, I would like to subscribe.
MFM,

Drop your link
https://youtube.com/@mmalone2107

I'm always trying to get my wife to think this way when she jumps her rigs.........think of it like an airplane.......if its nose diving, pull back (throttle). If its nose climbing, push forward (give it some brake). It's a fine motor skill that needs to be developed and every rig has its own particular nuances. It's a practice thing.

I do always try to leave the ramp with neutral throttle though, and land with neutral throttle.
You will eventually get it so you don't have to think about the action that is needed......it will come as rote memory or rote physical response.

cheers,
kev

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back