How's your weather?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's leaf season at Casa de Bickety! And I've been out 3 times already!!!

20201028_145641.jpg

Update: Hurricane Zeta is now high Cat 2, borderline 3, winds presently 110mph with 115+ mph gusts, pressure 972 mb, 70 miles offshore and a direct strike for my area, we will be in the eyewall which is bad. Luck has run out, 7th time the charm. Next door neighbor is out of town, just put her trash cans in her backyard then discovered she had stuff laying all over the yard which I had to pick up and store the best I could, if you don't, all this junk is flying projectiles that will pound your home and vechicles.

Tropical storm winds expected in next couple hours, with hurricane force winds shortly after. 100+ mph sustained winds in the equation. Only good thing, if that means anything, is that it's fast moving, so hope it gets out of here sooner than later. Rode out a few bad ones in my lifetime and it's scary and not fun. Tonight will be interesting to say the least!

Update: Hurricane Zeta is now high Cat 2, borderline 3, winds presently 110mph with 115+ mph gusts, pressure 972 mb, 70 miles offshore and a direct strike for my area, we will be in the eyewall which is bad. Luck has run out, 7th time the charm. Next door neighbor is out of town, just put her trash cans in her backyard then discovered she had stuff laying all over the yard which I had to pick up and store the best I could, if you don't, all this junk is flying projectiles that will pound your home and vechicles.

Tropical storm winds expected in next couple hours, with hurricane force winds shortly after. 100+ mph sustained winds in the equation. Only good thing, if that means anything, is that it's fast moving, so hope it gets out of here sooner than later. Rode out a few bad ones in my lifetime and it's scary and not fun. Tonight will be interesting to say the least!
Be safe, my friend ?

Eye has just reached us, wind picked up bigtime, rocking 60 ft pine trees like nothing, power just went out, looking out back door and front porch I can see the nuclear glow in the dark sky of transformers blowing one at a time. No generator, light, ac, going to get hot and miserable fast. Hope my food don't go bad, just froze a ship load of shrimp. All I can hear is the wind, rain, and who knows what else hitting the roof, gone to be a long night. One of my cats is still outside, she's a feral and couldn't get her to go into the garage, she's scared, seen it in her eyes, animals know when bad storms are coming, hope she'll be ok, gonna hang up and conserve my phone batt, internet out in places.

Eye has just reached us, wind picked up bigtime, rocking 60 ft pine trees like nothing, power just went out, looking out back door and front porch I can see the nuclear glow in the dark sky of transformers blowing one at a time. No generator, light, ac, going to get hot and miserable fast. Hope my food don't go bad, just froze a ship load of shrimp. All I can hear is the wind, rain, and who knows what else hitting the roof, gone to be a long night. One of my cats is still outside, she's a feral and couldn't get her to go into the garage, she's scared, seen it in her eyes, animals know when bad storms are coming, hope she'll be ok, gonna hang up and conserve my phone batt, internet out in places.

Be safe, buddy!

@jondilly1974, @Brandon, @drjim, Thanks guys, storm has messed me up a couple weeks, had some roof, tree, and fence damage. Could have been worse though, Insurance companies are a joke, have a $2500 deductible, but as soon as a hurricane enters the Gulf, your deductible goes to 5% of the value of your home. For instance, if your home is valued at 200K, your deductible is now 10K. How can the average person come up with that especially with all that's going on today! ?‍♂️

Been cutting downed trees on and off past couple weeks, helping out neighbors that don't have chainsaw or ability to do so. Replaced roof shingles and doing fence work. No time for RC.

Was in the eye of the storm which was the second time for me. So strange to go through a hurricane and have it die down and stop suddenly until the back half comes through. When eye came through it was pitch black and a few neighbors and I came out and we were in the street seeing if everyone was ok, my neighbors had no idea we were in the eye and the other half was coming lol.

It was calm for about 20 minutes, then slowly the wind picked up again and you could see the clouds approaching. If you guys don't know, when you are in the eye, the back half of the storm changes direction and the wind and rain hits you from the opposite side. The trees bend 180° now and the front door you were peeking out before is now hard to open because of the wind so you have to peek out of the back lol.

Lost power as soon as eye went through, transformers blowing like crazy. Lot of cell towers out, no phone, internet for couple days. Had no generator (thanks Katrina) and worried about all my freezer food going bad. Got a couple neighbors let me use theirs a couple hours to keep food from spoiling. Some were borderline, but ate it anyway and still living lol.

My neighbor is a fire Captain and when I took a ride with him to his Mom's to get a generator, one of his fire buddies said his wind meter at the firehouse had a 119 mph reading which is no joke. This storm was more of a wind event even though we still had plenty rain. Every storm is different, all you can do is kick back and see what you get dealt. Still have another storm in the Gulf right now off the Keys, hope it doesn't come this way, been in the cone 7 times this season already.

Good to hear you're pretty much OK. Been through tornadoes and blizzards when I was growing up in Illinois, and a few big tropical storms in the 35 years I lived in SoCal. Now I'm back to blizzards and huge thunderstorms. Never been through a hurricane, though!

@arrmadillo. Sounds like quite the ordeal. Glad to hear you and yours are doing well. Insurance companies are the ultimate scam, much like a traxxas warranty. ?? Good to have you back.

@arrmadillo. Sounds like quite the ordeal. Glad to hear you and yours are doing well. Insurance companies are the ultimate scam, much like a traxxas warranty. ?? Good to have you back.
Thanks! Much appreciated! ?

@jondilly1974, @Brandon, @drjim, Thanks guys, storm has messed me up a couple weeks, had some roof, tree, and fence damage. Could have been worse though, Insurance companies are a joke, have a $2500 deductible, but as soon as a hurricane enters the Gulf, your deductible goes to 5% of the value of your home. For instance, if your home is valued at 200K, your deductible is now 10K. How can the average person come up with that especially with all that's going on today! ?‍♂️

Been cutting downed trees on and off past couple weeks, helping out neighbors that don't have chainsaw or ability to do so. Replaced roof shingles and doing fence work. No time for RC.

Was in the eye of the storm which was the second time for me. So strange to go through a hurricane and have it die down and stop suddenly until the back half comes through. When eye came through it was pitch black and a few neighbors and I came out and we were in the street seeing if everyone was ok, my neighbors had no idea we were in the eye and the other half was coming lol.

It was calm for about 20 minutes, then slowly the wind picked up again and you could see the clouds approaching. If you guys don't know, when you are in the eye, the back half of the storm changes direction and the wind and rain hits you from the opposite side. The trees bend 180° now and the front door you were peeking out before is now hard to open because of the wind so you have to peek out of the back lol.

Lost power as soon as eye went through, transformers blowing like crazy. Lot of cell towers out, no phone, internet for couple days. Had no generator (thanks Katrina) and worried about all my freezer food going bad. Got a couple neighbors let me use theirs a couple hours to keep food from spoiling. Some were borderline, but ate it anyway and still living lol.

My neighbor is a fire Captain and when I took a ride with him to his Mom's to get a generator, one of his fire buddies said his wind meter at the firehouse had a 119 mph reading which is no joke. This storm was more of a wind event even though we still had plenty rain. Every storm is different, all you can do is kick back and see what you get dealt. Still have another storm in the Gulf right now off the Keys, hope it doesn't come this way, been in the cone 7 times this season already.
Well sounds like you got the most of it and made it thru ok. Y’all down there are some tough SOBs. ??

Well sounds like you got the most of it and made it thru ok. Y’all down there are some tough SOBs
Thanks Man! Yeah, it could have been way worse, we got lucky. The one that hit Louisiana a few weeks back was really bad, 150 mph sustained winds at landfall. Lake Charles and surrounding area were devastated, only 200 miles from me.

Quit your sniveling! We got a couple of sprinkles this weekend! :ROFLMAO: Seriously, it did sprinkle this weekend, we even got a little hail....for us that's a big deal!
It's the first rain we have had since April!!!

Back