HV LiPo question šŸ™‹ā€ā™‚ļø

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6mm Lapua

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Kraton 4s
would it cause issues to run a 15.2v LiPo in a 4s Kraton? I know standard packs are 14.8v, just wondering if itā€™s a good idea or not?

I don't think its a good idea could be wrong though never tried it

Good to go!!!
Edit: I didn't realize it was a 4s rig... my bad on that one, therefore I have no experience with the 4s stuff... but there are no ill effects on my hobbywing or spektrum systems...Mike

Last edited:
would it cause issues to run a 15.2v LiPo in a 4s Kraton? I know standard packs are 14.8v, just wondering if itā€™s a good idea or not?
You can if you only charge it to 14.8. ;) Good chance the ESC won't even initialize and fail to pass the system voltage test at start up at full 15.2v. Worse case the ESC will fry with 15.2v.
ESC will always look for an under or over volt condition. Unless you are running a Higher end upgrade ESC that can handle HV packs. Having accomodating settable voltage parameters available in the ESC's F/W. HV's Usually cost more with little gain. I don't bother with HV packs. If I had one, it would be because it was the deal of the century, and I would still only be charging it to 14.8v if I did. Depends on the ESC I am running.
If you are using a 120amp 4s max rated RTR basic ESC for instance I would not even bother with a HV pack. Want more volts, just buy a 6s ESC. Then run 5s or 6s packs.

Last edited:
You can if you only charge it to 14.8. ;) Good chance the ESC won't even initialize and fail to pass the system voltage test at start up at full 15.2v. Worse case the ESC will fry with 15.2v.
ESC will always look for an under or over volt condition. Unless you are running a Higher end upgrade ESC that can handle HV packs. Having accomodating settable voltage parameters available in the ESC's F/W. HV's Usually cost more with little gain. I don't bother with HV packs. If I had one, it would be because it was the deal of the century, and I would still only be charging it to 14.8v if I did. Depends on the ESC I am running.
If you are using a 120amp 4s max rated RTR basic ESC for instance I would not even bother with a HV pack. Want more volts, just buy a 6s ESC. Then run 5s or 6s packs.
I have run HV packs, fully charged in HV mode with the Spektrum 150, and 160, Max10 and Max8 with no issues. I donā€™t know about other brands or models, those are the only ones Iā€™ve really tried. I donā€™t think Iā€™d try it with many other RTR brands though. Spektrum stuff seems to be pretty forgiving.

If it boots up at all (meaning the ESC's voltage tolerance allows you to run slightly above 16.8v total) then I'd say you're good to go.

Most modern ESCs have pretty sensitive over voltage protection. In other words, plug it in and see if it works. If it does, you're in business.

Worse case you fry the ESC.
Just Depends on the ESC's F/W
It will work or it wont.
How lucky do you feel?

:ROFLMAO:

I think the only limitation with HV batteries is Castle ESCs. And that only matters when running max voltage for the ESC.

From the horseā€™s mouth:

ā€œDO NOT RUN HV CELLS (above 4.2v/cell) WHEN RUNNING AT MAX CELL COUNT (8s). This will exceed the 33.6v rating and will damage the ESC and not be covered by the warranty.ā€

Thanks for the reply, ya thatā€™s the reason I was wondering, I seen a good deal on cnhlā€™s, I donā€™t need any performance gain

I think the only limitation with HV batteries is Castle ESCs. And that only matters when running max voltage for the ESC.

From the horseā€™s mouth:

ā€œDO NOT RUN HV CELLS (above 4.2v/cell) WHEN RUNNING AT MAX CELL COUNT (8s). This will exceed the 33.6v rating and will damage the ESC and not be covered by the warranty.ā€
I know a guy or like 15,999 that toss the warranty away before the packagingšŸ˜‚

Just gotta make sure sheā€™s really Hillaryā€™d so they canā€™t pull the data if you can wait that long before gouging youā€™re eyeballs out staring at your broken rig you canā€™t drive till the UPS man shows up. (Breathe) Then you get the bright idea to just buy a new same ESC really quick off fleabay, install it in your existing rig while you already have a roller on the way youā€™ll put that warranted ESC in once that UPS truck shows up because you got it all figured out!

Yeah, Iā€™ve never done that. šŸ¤“šŸ˜Ž

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back