HV 6S lipos (4.35 volts per cell)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinC

Flyboy, Cat Hoarder, Tiger Tamer, Party Crasher.
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Limitless
  3. Kraton 8S
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Kraton EXB
  6. Mojave EXB
  7. Talion
  8. Talion EXB
Hey Arrma nation.
I was thinking about getting some HV lipos (4.35 volts per cell) that are on sale.

Question…….forgive my ignorance…….can I run these things in my Hobbywing Max 6 ESC equipped 8th scale rigs without issue? Seeing that the Max6 can take 8s, it shouldn’t be a problem yes?

cheers,
kev

Last edited:
Crazy I was just thinking about that this morning because I was looking at 4s HV on a 6s esc. I agreee shouldn't be a problem but I would like to know as well

that voltage will be there for a minute, these are meant for speed cars since Raz is promoting overcharging to get every bit of MPH during max voltage sag.

Last edited:
You should be good with HV even on 8S.

I believe only Castle ESCs have a problem with HV batteries, and only if you’re at the max voltage.

For example, you can run HV 6S on a Castle 8S ESC, but not HV 8S.

MAX6 is rated for slightly less than 30 volts. You should be good with a 26V input. Its your motor that's the worry. What KV did you go with?
The Slight voltage increase won't matter much to the motor at all.
Just gear it properly if necessary.

HV lipos will only work with an ESC that has H. Voltage selectability.
HV lipos are not commonly used. Slow sellers. So they tend to go on sale often. I feel it is not much of a thing and didn't take off well. Not compatible with most RTR ESC's.
If the price is right they can have some good cells. Good performers.
And simply charging them to 4.2v per cell is fine also. They will perform like standard Lipos. Potentially lasting longer because they are never charged at the Full 4.35v/cell.
Need to make sure your charger can support HV packs in the first place. Most do. Not all however. Like some older model chargers.

Last edited:
@KratonBuilder ... Nope.
The voltage increase of HV packs is so minimal as far as the motor is concerned. And there is no such thing as an HV capable motor for this reason.
Many can even successfully run 8s with 2050kv 6s motors. Now that is a substantial Voltage increase. Still No issues.
All comes down to the proper gearing, that's all. And how you run the rig in hand. Bashing vs Speed running.
Maximum motor RPMs are rarely even spec'ed accurately enough. If they are, it is just merely a guide. Not written in stone.
It's all about the gearing and the platform in hand. 40-50k RPMs is fine for many motors. Some just sustain Max. RPM's better than others. Most basher setups Barely sustain max RPMs for few seconds at a time if that. Short of outright abuse or lack of maintenance, motors are fairly durable.

Last edited:
My Protek Prodigy 625 chargers are capable of HV charaging. The lipos that are on sale right now in Canada are the Ghens Aace 6800mah HV LIPOS.

I don’t care about the fancy features this lipo has,,,,,, just the sales price. I’m slowly converting all my 8th scales to one lipo, instead of running two 3S lipos in each.

thx for you comments guys, much appreciated.

cheers,
kev

I just recently started using mine charged to hv, as I did not have a charger that was capable until now....Mike

I run 4s hv packs in my 8s dbxl-e (max5) ... no issues here.. Mike
What Lipo settings did you select with the Max 5?
You charging them to 4.35v/cell? Right?
HV packs running 8 cells, only yields an additional 1.20v. (Total combined added volts)
Yet "some" RTR ESC's have issues with that. Sees an overvolt condition. Won't initialize.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back