HW vs CC Sensor Harness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jschlosser0405

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Notorious
Hey guys I recently bought my first Castle ESC, a Mamba X. I am putting it in place of a HW XR8 SCT I have been running a castle 1415 with for quite a while. Are the sensor harnesses the same? The white wire from the esc is the concern. It's all the way to the end on the esc, but at the connector it moves in one pin. When I powered the motor and set everything up with castle link, the motor itself seems very loud compared to what it was with the HW. Upon startup/just touching the throttle it makes a whining kinda sound. Is this normal?

Last edited:
I believe the white sensor wire plugs into a spare channel on the receiver and there is a separate sensor cable that plugs from the motor to the esc. There are 6 wires on the sensor cable. Castle states to plug the white wire in whether you use it or not to help with the current load. Does this help?

I believe the white sensor wire plugs into a spare channel on the receiver and there is a separate sensor cable that plugs from the motor to the esc. There are 6 wires on the sensor cable. Castle states to plug the white wire in whether you use it or not to help with the current load. Does this help?
Yes the single white wire is the aux. Im talking about the 6 wires to the motor. I just realized the sensor cable on this castle is just a little jumper cable and the connector is different than the cable I am using. I see CC has their own sensor connector/cable for their esc's.

CC has an adapter for that.
To connect to the industry standard Sensor leads.

The white wire from the esc is the concern. It's all the way to the end on the esc, but at the connector it moves in one pin.
Normal
When I powered the motor and set everything up with castle link, the motor itself seems very loud compared to what it was with the HW. Upon startup/just touching the throttle it makes a whining kinda sound. Is this normal?
Not normal. Did you make any other changes?

CC has an adapter for that.
To connect to the industry standard Sensor leads.
I just realized the little bracket on the esc comes off and the wires all plug in. I see cc has a regular cable with their end for the esc and a standard sensor end on the other. That gets me away from an additional connection with the little jumper it came with.
Normal

Not normal. Did you make any other changes?
I changed the bed voltage, torque, brake amount...normal stuff. It was loud when I initially powered it up and didnt change at all after i changed the settings

Well, I'm gonna say I got a faulty esc. Just plugged it back into the castle link and reset to defaults, did the calibration again. Powered up and touched the throttle with the car on my stand and a little puff of magic smoke came out between the caps. That's my luck. Really gonna be pissed if it screwed my motor or receiver up. I'll put the XR8 back in shortly and test it out. Not a good start for castle in my rigs. I have yet to smoke a Hobbywing. This thing didn't even touch the ground yet.

HW XR8 line has been hard to beat for me, Having 4 of them. Flawless for years.
I would probably only consider an XLX2 or MMX8s if going to CC. For my speed runners.

Well, I'm gonna say I got a faulty esc. Just plugged it back into the castle link and reset to defaults, did the calibration again. Powered up and touched the throttle with the car on my stand and a little puff of magic smoke came out between the caps. That's my luck. Really gonna be pissed if it screwed my motor or receiver up. I'll put the XR8 back in shortly and test it out. Not a good start for castle in my rigs. I have yet to smoke a Hobbywing. This thing didn't even touch the ground yet.
Castle has good support. Somebody in Kansas actually answers the phone when you call.

https://home.castlecreations.com/contact-us

Castle has good support. Somebody in Kansas actually answers the phone when you call.

https://home.castlecreations.com/contact-us
I will give them a call tomorrow. I planned on taking it back to my LHS and see if he will just swap it out for me, but it's only open Wed-Sat. That way I don't have to wait weeks for a new one. I'll see what they say.

LHS will most likely just take it and ship it back to CC themselves. At best. But giving you a new one to replace it???... IDK. Can't hurt to ask?:unsure:
Deal with CC directly. I think its faster this way. You don't need a middle man for a CC warranty. Just an added layer of nonsense.
Let us know how CC worked out for you.

Will do, thank you guys for your input. The XR8/motor setup works perfect still. No damage done by the esc thankfully.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back