Granite I'm trying to get out the motor bearings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You beat me to it!!! I was literally just about to say this! For those wondering this is how you get a tough rear main seal out of a motor with a crap design. Oldest trick in the book I didn’t know it got forgotten by some!

It's not that it has been forgotten.. but it is just the outer race.. finding something to fit the i.d of the outer race perfectly is the issue...and to hydraulic anything that way it must have a good fit..?..

I hydraulic pilot bushings/bearings with grease out of cranks all of the time... but I've never pushed a rear main out with that method.. I just pluck them out..

It's not that it has been forgotten.. but it is just the outer race.. finding something to fit the i.d of the outer race perfectly is the issue...and to hydraulic anything that way it must have a good fit..?..

I hydraulic pilot bushings/bearings with grease out of cranks all of the time... but I've never pushed a rear main out with that method.. I just pluck them out..
I get stinkers on small block mopars that have a big issue, it seems the block corrodes and forms a lip on the other side of the seal. Combine that with a 50 year old rock hard piece of rubber.. almost impossible to get out man. Cut a hole, throw in some grease, and slam a flathead into the little slice you cut, forces the parts around the cut to separate.
Edit: Pilot bearings it’s a must. I don’t know how to get them out any other way to be honest.

Hi, I need help ... one of my motor bearings failed and I decided to replace the motor bearings ... now I have a problem ... I can't get out of one of my bearings ... I knocked the middle part of the bearing out .. but the outer part is stuck inside ?
I need advice on how to get out this part of the bearing so as not to damage other things. thank you very much for your help
I had this happen to me. Horizon Hobby gave me a new motor under warranty. Heat and lube didn't work. I don't think the bread trick will work on that bearing, there's no space underneath it and you'd have to find something that fits inside the outer race perfectly. I didn't try drilling and tapping.

For future reference there is a method that most know as the bread method.
Essentially the bread acts as a hydraulic, squishing behind the bearing and pushing it out.

This video happens to be an member's
today I did this trick on the other side and successfully pulled out the bearing ? tnx again ? I also tried another damaged one, but it doesn't work ... it needs to be drilled out.
20200905_095912.jpg

20200905_100101.jpg

I had this happen to me. Horizon Hobby gave me a new motor under warranty. Heat and lube didn't work. I don't think the bread trick will work on that bearing, there's no space underneath it and you'd have to find something that fits inside the outer race perfectly. I didn't try drilling and tapping.
I tried this method with bread, but quite unsuccessfully in this situation... here in Europe it is necessary to send the defective part by post, to the supplier and then they send it to the service ... it can take a month or 2 or more in this covid situation. ..and is sent at its own expense ?‍♂️

Last edited:
today I did this trick on the other side and successfully pulled out the bearing ? tnx again ? I also tried another damaged one, but it doesn't work ... it needs to be drilled out.
View attachment 98444
View attachment 98445

I tried this method with bread, but quite unsuccessfully in this situation... here in Europe it is necessary to send the defective part by post, to the supplier and then they send it to the service ... it can take a month or 2 or more in this covid situation. ..and is sent at its own expense ?‍♂️
Try with softer bread, and it takes way more pushing in than you think it should. I almost gave up first time I tried it but I knew some well respected forum members werent just getting a laugh at my expense ? it works so I kept trying and pop it came out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back