Is HobbyStar 4092 to big for the Talion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeighDay

I came...I saw...I broke it
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Outcast 6s
  3. Outcast 8s
  4. Talion EXB
I have been researching motors for a little while and really like the HobbyStar 4092 1730kv motor for my Talion. My only concern is the length of it and how much of it will be sticking out over the chassis. Being a RC newb I wanted to see the experts opinion of this. Am I being overly concerned for nothing?

I have a max6 that I am going to throw in with it as well.

Another option I was thinking, and wanted opinions on it as well, was putting a Mojave chassis on it to give it the necessary length for a bigger motor.

I have a tp 4070 2080kv in my Talion EXB and that is 107mm long. Zero problems, love it!

No issues with the 4092. Shave off the small lip on the esc tray and the Max6 fits fine. I have been running the stock setup in my Talion and it seems to run great. I think the smaller wheels work better with the stock setup.

In all honesty… I think a 4082 would be the longest I’d want in my talion and that’s pushing it… a 4074 with a max8 is perfect as well. The talion needs to stay as light weight as possible. Otherwise it throws off how a talion is “supposed to handle”

Some will disagree with me, but I’ve had it both ways and I have a 4082 in mine with a max8 equivalent, and I’m thinking of throwing the stock motor back on. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have been researching motors for a little while and really like the HobbyStar 4092 1730kv motor for my Talion. My only concern is the length of it and how much of it will be sticking out over the chassis. Being a RC newb I wanted to see the experts opinion of this. Am I being overly concerned for nothing?

Another option I was thinking, and wanted opinions on it as well, was putting a Mojave chassis on it to give it the necessary length for a bigger motor.
I have the exact set up that you speak of, in my Talion EXB. The motor does stick out, over the chassis, but I'm not too worried about it. I only bash this out at the park. I probably wouldn't bash this out in the desert or in rougher terrain, because I'm sure the motor will get scraped up. I have other bashers for that. Here are some pics of the motor, so you can see first hand, if you would feel comfortable with this set up.

20220814_195917.jpg

20220814_195925.jpg

20220814_195947.jpg

20220814_195939.jpg

20220814_201233.jpg

I have the exact set up that you speak of, in my Talion EXB. The motor does stick out, over the chassis, but I'm not too worried about it. I only bash this out at the park. I probably wouldn't bash this out in the desert or in rougher terrain, because I'm sure the motor will get scraped up. I have other bashers for that. Here are some pics of the motor, so you can see first hand, if you would feel comfortable with this set up.
Thank you for the photos. I did some rough measurements last night and had an idea of how far it would stick out but seeing it puts in into perspective.

I have two more vehicles that I use for bashing and I do tend to run this one more on the street but like you said the motor will probably be scraped up from rougher terrain which I do run the Talion on as well.

Thank you again for the photos.

Thank you for the photos. I did some rough measurements last night and had an idea of how far it would stick out but seeing it puts in into perspective.

I have two more vehicles that I use for bashing and I do tend to run this one more on the street but like you said the motor will probably be scraped up from rougher terrain which I do run the Talion on as well.

Thank you again for the photos.
You're welcome. No problem.
I want to make a suggestion, and this only my opinion. I used to have the hobbystar 4092 1730 KV in my Typhon 6S at first, but it was way too long. I switched it out for a hobbystar 4076 1700 KV and that motor feels just as powerful. I didn't notice a difference at all. I highly recommend the 4076 1700 KV.

4092 1730 KV
Screenshot_20220814-202930_Gallery.jpg

4076 1700 KV
20220814_202445.jpg

20220814_202511.jpg

I'd think the likelihood of scraping the motor at that very spot is pretty low. Anything sticking up high enough to be of concern would be a concern for breaking the chassis anyway. Like if you were jumping super high over larger pointy rocks, you might hit the motor directly. But then i'd have to ask why you were doing something so risky that could break the chassis anyway!

The 4092 in my kraton EXB even sticks out the back of the chassis quite a bit (nearly identical to the talion chassis). i've had no problems with it so far. So I would feel fine running that in the talion. Although it does look pretty oversized on that platform!

I'd think the likelihood of scraping the motor at that very spot is pretty low. Anything sticking up high enough to be of concern would be a concern for breaking the chassis anyway. Like if you were jumping super high over larger pointy rocks, you might hit the motor directly. But then i'd have to ask why you were doing something so risky that could break the chassis anyway!

The 4092 in my kraton EXB even sticks out the back of the chassis quite a bit (nearly identical to the talion chassis). i've had no problems with it so far. So I would feel fine running that in the talion. Although it does look pretty oversized on that platform!
Very true. Being a new RC driver that likely hood might be greater than normal. I can see your point though. Appreciate your input

You're welcome. No problem.
I want to make a suggestion, and this only my opinion. I used to have the hobbystar 4092 1730 KV in my Typhon 6S at first, but it was way too long. I switched it out for a hobbystar 4076 1700 KV and that motor feels just as powerful. I didn't notice a difference at all. I highly recommend the 4076 1700 KV.

Yeah I was thinking keeping the motor size the same around stock size but wanted to make sure I was not spending money on a motor that wouldn't really give me and upgrade. Appreciate the feedback on the different motors.

I do have a question in regards to motors with that said. When looking at the motors at rcjuice one of the categories has Max AMPs listed. I noticed the 4092 at 1730kv has 160a and the 4076 at 1700kv has max amps of 116. Would that make any real world difference in regards to performance or longevity?

HobbyStar 4076.PNG

HobbyStar 4092.PNG

I have a tp 4070 2080kv in my Talion EXB and that is 107mm long. Zero problems, love it!
I was wondering when the TP motor gang was going to be checking in

Appreciate your input as always

Adding that XLWB chassis just to accommodate the longer 92mm motor seems odd to me. Not a bad project, just that it won't be a Talion any longer in reality. Just measure up how much room you have with the Talion chassis for a 92mm length Motor Can first.
I believe the stocker Arrma motor in the Legacy RTR Talion was 74mm. For comparison.

Adding that XLWB chassis just to accommodate the longer 92mm motor seems odd to me. Not a bad project, just that it won't be a Talion any longer in reality. Just measure up how much room you have with the Talion chassis for a 92mm length Motor Can first.
I believe the stocker Arrma motor in the Legacy RTR Talion was 74mm. For comparison.
I know it’s a popular mod out there with the YTs and such but wanted to see what it would be like on a longer chassis. I figured it would kill two birds with one stone if you catch my drift. Plus like you said a project.

Very true. Being a new RC driver that likely hood might be greater than normal. I can see your point though. Appreciate your input

Yeah I was thinking keeping the motor size the same around stock size but wanted to make sure I was not spending money on a motor that wouldn't really give me and upgrade. Appreciate the feedback on the different motors.

I do have a question in regards to motors with that said. When looking at the motors at rcjuice one of the categories has Max AMPs listed. I noticed the 4092 at 1730kv has 160a and the 4076 at 1700kv has max amps of 116. Would that make any real world difference in regards to performance or longevity?

View attachment 236410

View attachment 236411

I was wondering when the TP motor gang was going to be checking in

Appreciate your input as always
This is a long thread i started a while back.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/is-max-motor-amperage-really-a-thing.53730/
If you want the tldr, basically amperage is what affects heat. The higher "max amps" is due to the higher max power limit on the 4092. Higher amperage equates to more heat. Within the realm of general physics, if you can increase cooling (add fans/heatsink), then you should be able to run any of those motors so long as it meets your speed/acceleration/torque needs.

In other words, the 4092 will have more torque due to the longer rotor/can. That's a simple physics comparison like a 3.0 liter engine vs a 4.0 liter engine. But conversely that means you could also put more than 116 amps through the 1700kv 4076 motor with the right cooling setup and it would be fine. Much like you could also use forced induction on the 3.0 liter engine (with the right cooling) to get way more power than the stock 4.0 liter.

What motor are you currently running? If you're looking for more torque on a 4076 (or similar, such as the stock arrma 6s motor), you could likely solve the solution by upping your punch level on the ESC if you were running the 4076 motor. The only reason i think you'd need the 4092 is if you are already at max punch and still not getting enough "torque" for your liking. The biggest advantage the hobbystar and rocket motors have for me is the motor can fins. they make cooling much much more effective.

This is a long thread i started a while back.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/is-max-motor-amperage-really-a-thing.53730/
If you want the tldr, basically amperage is what affects heat. The higher "max amps" is due to the higher max power limit on the 4092. Higher amperage equates to more heat. Within the realm of general physics, if you can increase cooling (add fans/heatsink), then you should be able to run any of those motors so long as it meets your speed/acceleration/torque needs.

In other words, the 4092 will have more torque due to the longer rotor/can. That's a simple physics comparison like a 3.0 liter engine vs a 4.0 liter engine. But conversely that means you could also put more than 116 amps through the 1700kv 4076 motor with the right cooling setup and it would be fine. Much like you could also use forced induction on the 3.0 liter engine (with the right cooling) to get way more power than the stock 4.0 liter.

What motor are you currently running? If you're looking for more torque on a 4076 (or similar, such as the stock arrma 6s motor), you could likely solve the solution by upping your punch level on the ESC if you were running the 4076 motor. The only reason i think you'd need the 4092 is if you are already at max punch and still not getting enough "torque" for your liking. The biggest advantage the hobbystar and rocket motors have for me is the motor can fins. they make cooling much much more effective.
Thank you for the link. I read through the 3 pages of information there. Some very good stuff.

I am currently running the stock Spektrum 4074 motor. I set the punch to max on the Spektrum 150a ESc with my programming card. I was hoping it would give me that extra “torque” that I was looking for. It did help but not a dramatic difference.

For cooling I was thinking of doing one of those DIY 40mm fan mods. Currently using 2 x 30mm hobbystar / rocket fans for motor cooling.

image.jpg

Thank you for the link. I read through the 3 pages of information there. Some very good stuff.

I am currently running the stock Spektrum 4074 motor. I set the punch to max on the Spektrum 150a ESc with my programming card. I was hoping it would give me that extra “torque” that I was looking for. It did help but not a dramatic difference.

For cooling I was thinking of doing one of those DIY 40mm fan mods. Currently using 2 x 30mm hobbystar / rocket fans for motor cooling.

View attachment 236433
What pinion and what kind of temps are you seeing with that set up? The stock heatsink on those does an average job providing cooling.

What kind of performance improvements are you looking to see with a new setup? Just more "snappiness"? Would you consider compromising by getting a 4082 size motor? It would stick out a little farther but provide a small amount of torque. 4585 motor would also do well, provide a great torque increase and be fairly easy to cool with some fans mounted on the can.

On my 4092 in the kraton i'm running a power hobby fan mount like this https://www.amazon.com/Powerhobby-Aluminum-30-40MM-Twister-47-49MM/dp/B09FKMPNB7/. I was running 30mm fans that i had and on a 20t pinion it kept the motor reasonably cool. I just switched over to aluminum case 40mm fans. They blow a ton of air! https://www.amazon.com/Cooling-40x40mm-28000RPM-Heatsink-Brushless/dp/B09HXKGQKT/

I think the max6 will probably help from the start. Purpose built for higher amps, probably less resistance. I wouldn't be surprised if you saw a small performance boost just from running the stock motor on the max6.

What pinion and what kind of temps are you seeing with that set up? The stock heatsink on those does an average job providing cooling.
Currently using the stock 15t pinion and my motor temps are pretty good. I never let it get over 130 and have a temp gun monitoring it quite often.

What kind of performance improvements are you looking to see with a new setup? Just more "snappiness"? Would you consider compromising by getting a 4082 size motor? It would stick out a little farther but provide a small amount of torque. 4585 motor would also do well, provide a great torque increase and be fairly easy to cool with some fans mounted on the can.
Like you said more "snappiness". I don't care about top end spend but definitely more about torque. For motor size I am open to all opinion and options at this stand point.

On my 4092 in the kraton i'm running a power hobby fan mount like this https://www.amazon.com/Powerhobby-Aluminum-30-40MM-Twister-47-49MM/dp/B09FKMPNB7/. I was running 30mm fans that i had and on a 20t pinion it kept the motor reasonably cool. I just switched over to aluminum case 40mm fans. They blow a ton of air! https://www.amazon.com/Cooling-40x40mm-28000RPM-Heatsink-Brushless/dp/B09HXKGQKT/
that exactly the fan motor mount I was looking to get. I will add that to the list. I have some 35mm fans right now that put out some pretty good airflow but I will keep those fans you linked in mind. These are the fans I currently use.

I think the max6 will probably help from the start. Purpose built for higher amps, probably less resistance. I wouldn't be surprised if you saw a small performance boost just from running the stock motor on the max6.

I was thinking that as well. When I put a Max6 in my Xmaxx it definitely woke it up a bit. Not a huge ammount but better throttle response for sure.

Going to a 4074 or similar motor seems pointless to me. Might as well stay with stock and just get a better esc like Hector suggested. Reading this thread has me thinking I'm the weird one though 🤣. I tried a tp 4060 (40x92mm) and felt like I wanted more. For the speeds I like to bash at I felt like I needed something bigger lol. Been with the tp 4070 2080kv ever since and love it. The weight argument didn't hit me until I tried a tp 4080 in it and didn't like the way it handled. Most here would consider my talion heavy most likely but it feels great to me and nothing like my kraton since I use smaller tires.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back