Is on-road or off-road harder on the electronics?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dure16

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon TLR
Which car is harder on the electronics (heat issues, ESC failures, etc.).

Same power system, car weight, and driving style. 6S. Casual bashing/hooning. Let’s say kraton 1/8 and infraction 1/7.

I know there are a million variables I’m not providing but I’ve always wondered which terrain is more demanding in general.

This will always be a matter of opinion.
I say a 30+ pound Kraton 8s taxes the electrics more so.
But if you were dedicated speed running the Infr. with the same electrics, with some really tall gearing, it may be a toss up. :unsure: Much more sustained amp draw, overall perhaps.

I'd say the answer to this question depends moreso on your overall driving style and objectives than the terrain.

Anecdotally, i have seen road cars do okay temperature wise speed bashing on pavement and then thermal themselves when you slap on a set of off-road tires/wheels and go off-road. Then flip the script and gear up for the speed passes and now the road driving is much harder.

For another anecdotal example, i've had an ESC that was always doing okay temperature wise when I was dinking around at the skatepark but eventually was destroyed from landing shock load (it physically came apart). I other words, there's a million ways to kill an ESC.

For "casual" hooning and bashing, i don't think it would matter IMO. Once you "specialize" (speed running, high jumps, racing, etc) THEN I think you probably need to worry about counter measures for whatever kind of abuse your ESC sees.

I'm going to say off road as all the manufacturers only recommend the optional high speed pinions for on road use.

Last edited:
So many variables:
Driving behaviour like speed/duration/frequency of braking vs accellerating.
High pace racing on a track (on- or offroad) will demand much more than bashing in the backgarden while drinking some beers.
Surface conditions, like offroad will have more resistance from high grass, lose sand (especially with paddles)
Speedrunning high speeds demands it all from the electronics, but only for short durations.

Anything excessive demand is hard on the electronics. And different surface conditions will mostly have you adapt your driving behaviour as well.

Driving technique matters much. And each of us drive so differently. So does terrain vary.

If I run my 6s Kraton around the infield of a baseball diamond, around the bases hard and fast for 15 minutes. I can occasionally thermal cut. Stock elect. with Speed gear.
But if I am wide open across the outfield ful thr. , never Thermal cuts. :unsure:
In this case Gearing would be the reason.
If you modulate your throttle hard, fast to slow then fast, constantly with RPM's, Taller gearing will cause more heat.

Last edited:
I would say off road in winter with all the mud water and also chassis slap from 20 ft jumps and bad landings

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back