Is something wrong with my ESC or motor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solidbase

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I have a very irritating problem with my truck. Sometimes when I try to go forward, or more often when I try to go in reverse the car just stutters for a couple of seconds and then drives off as usual. First I thought it was the diff or the gears, but then I disconnected the spur gear and the problem was still there. It's like a stutter, clicky and metallic noise. So what do you think guys? Is there something wrong with the electronics? Has someone ever heard of this problem?

Thanks//

If you're running a brushless set-up,then it sounds very much like 'cogging'. If you're still using a brushed motor,then it sounds as if the ESC is almost u/s.

It's a brushless system. I read up a little bit on cogging, so I guess I have to live with it or change the motor. Or is there something else to do?

Thanks for your answer.

Yes maybe, because sometimes if I go full throttle backwards for a few seconds it starts to stutter, in full speed. Is that even a possible "cogging" effect? So if the ESC is bad, should I exchange it for a new one with Arrma, or is all ESCs the same? I have a brand new truck with the BLX80 ESC. Does all Arrma trucks have this problem?

depends where you are - Arrma in australia have 30 day warranty only - it is a joke. They blamed me for the ESC failing and apparently expecting it to last 12 months was unreasonable. doesn't seem to be anything like the service elsewhere in the world for Arrma products.. Most of the blame probably belongs with the local distributor. The feedback i see online for UK and US etc is how amazing the Arrma warranty and service is.... But not in Australia.

I had to argue to have have my BLX80 replaced under warranty, then finally got it swapped then the replacement lasted 3 battery packs and started cogging. Replaced it with a Hobbywing and not looking back. The servo isnt too bad once you replace the plastic gears with the metal ones... mine only just died after 12 months of use... not too upset about replacing a steering servo as they arent that expensive and they cop alot of the work.. but honestly only ever had two ESC fail and both Arrma BLX 80... Hobbywing! Which is why the new Arrma 1/8 vehicles all have rebadged hobbywing now...

I'm in Sweden so maybe I try the warranty and see how they deal with it here. But is the 60A Hobbywing you linked to enough for my 3600kv motor, or is it better with the 80A?
I have the new ADS-7M servo with the metal gears in it, so no problems there, yet.

But is the 60A Hobbywing you linked to enough for my 3600kv motor, or is it better with the 80A?.

If mine dies I will let you know - i race my mate in his Fury BLX today with the stock ESC vs mine with 60amp hobbywing and it was dead even.

I have the new ADS-7M servo with the metal gears in it, so no problems there, yet.
lucky man i got jipped with the old plastic gear one - but i put the 7M gears in mine was good till recently but its had a good run,

Nice! Then it's good stuff then, thanks. I'm gonna se what Arrma has to say first.
Thanks again.

I'm in Sweden so maybe I try the warranty and see how they deal with it here. But is the 60A Hobbywing you linked to enough for my 3600kv motor, or is it better with the 80A?

Valid question!
My BLX esc. in my Mojave is holding strong after two years of beating! And I occasionally run it on 3S as well.

For my son I had problems with the high servo circuity, which burned the hobbyking esc.

For a replacement a 60A controller is much more affordable than other brands 80A and up.

I eventually bought a 120A in the sale.
But too late, but good to know the Hobbywing esc. is holding really well with the 3600kV 4-pole Arrma motor!

I live in Sweden but I bought the truck from Germany. So If I can't make it work with Arrma warranty I'm going with the Hobbywing ESC. And good to know it's enough with the 60A one.

Now it's installed!

I bought the Hobbywing 10bl60 uncensored ESC and I guess poombah was right, the "stuttering" is gone and I can't replicate it with the Hobbywing. I'm sending the other one back to the store to hopefully get a new one back.

Here is how it sounded.

Now it's installed!

I bought the Hobbywing 10bl60 uncensored ESC and I guess poombah was right, the "stuttering" is gone and I can't replicate it with the Hobbywing. I'm sending the other one back to the store to hopefully get a new one back. Glad you like the hobbywing! Keep bashing!

Here is how it sounded.

Oh yea it is an esc problem (I know you got it replaced) and had this happen to me once and then it just never powered on lol the motor is actually pretty good but not the esc had it replaced 3 times and many others have replaced it way more than 3 times

Update, I got a new replacement ESC in the mail today. I'll keep it as a spare since the Hobbywing works very well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back