Talion Jack of All Trades Talion - Motor Options?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

targetrein

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
Hey folks :)

First post ever, so please go easy on me. I've been in the process of slowly upgrading my v3 6S Talion over the past year. I use it for pretty much everything (street racing, ramp bashing, dirt tracks, everything). I've added various stability bits from Voltage Hobbies, RPM, and Hot Racing and I upgraded the servo to a Savox 1270 (or 1271, can't remember). I use Sweep Racing Road Crushers on the street and Copperhead 2's for dirt / ramps. With the stock BLX electronics and a 14T pinion, I'm having plenty of fun, but I'm sure there's more fun to be had.

I have a Castle MMX 8S on order and was looking for a solid motor to pair with it. I have a few RC aficionados here at work and one of them suggested the TP Power 4060 1650KV. I've also considered the Poseidon P1527 1500KV motor. I'm looking for any other options or confirmation that I'm on the right track.

Goal: 80+mph jack-of-all-trades basher that can eat up the entire battery without overheating

Question 1: Which motor should I pair with the Castle MMX 8S?
Question 2: What size pinion do I need to run, keeping all other gearing stock while still retaining beastly torque? (obviously varies by motor)

Thanks for any responses - looking forward to breaking things :D

Attachments

• 20190926_190017.jpg
    20190926_190017.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 75
TP 4060 with the 1650 d-wind sounds like a solid option. You could also go with the 1750 y-wind as an alternative option.
Factory/OEM motors are typically y-wind (all castle creations motors are Wye winds).

Delta winds are known to pull more amps and run a bit hotter. For an all around basher wye may be better?
I cannot say for sure. When compared they run very similar so its really hard to say one is better than the other.

If your looking for a bigger torquey motor like that for the talion, why not pair that castle product with its 1717 motor. Runs great in my kraton XL... you planning on running 6s or 8s? 20 on 6s and I feel like it needs to be taller... but on 8s the 20T is ????
Solid point, I would go with this motor! Unless you have your heart set on black n' gold TP Power

I’m going MMX8S/1717 combo in my K6EXB and that would be really good in a Talion as well. It’s not cheap, but it would be what I would be choosing. I can’t tell you yet how well it performs personally as it hasn’t arrived yet, but I would choose that over a speed run motor for sure.

If your looking for a bigger torquey motor like that for the talion, why not pair that castle product with its 1717 motor. Runs great in my kraton XL... you planning on running 6s or 8s? 20 on 6s and I feel like it needs to be taller... but on 8s the 20T is ????

I'll be running strictly 6s, but it's nice to have the option for 8s should I change my mind. Would probably need a 24T on 6s?

Solid point, I would go with this motor! Unless you have your heart set on black n' gold TP Power

Nope, heart isn't set on any motor in particular, just looking for a motor that checks all the boxes :D

Thanks for the replies, all!

The above suggestions are solid choices! I just wanted to add that at least for speed running (which I know isn't what you're doing), Poseidon motors typically run hotter than TP motors for the same size and kv. IMO the Castle 1717 would be my first choice; it looks like an absolute beast.

I'll be running strictly 6s, but it's nice to have the option for 8s should I change my mind. Would probably need a 24T on 6s?
Sounds about right ?? I run Robinson racing spur and pinion... the hardened steel sounds so much different in the drivetrain! Love that sound..
IMO the Castle 1717 would be my first choice; it looks like an absolute beast.
It is a beast !!

I run Robinson racing spur and pinion... the hardened steel sounds so much different in the drivetrain! Love that sound..

What specific Robinson spur gear are you running? Pretty sure the Talion comes stock with a 50T and Kraton has a 47T?
MMX 8S + Castle 1717 combo ordered - thanks everyone! (y)

(backordered!! :cry:)

Last edited:
I can tell you my max6/hobbystar 1730kv setup runs in the mid 60's with lots of torque and good temps with a hobbywing heat sink and an upgraded 50mm fan. I was seeing temps in the 130's so I would have had more in the tank with gearing. I have it geared 24/46 right now. I may turn it up some more but the 4s outcast tires are already ballooning up pretty bad where I'm at hahahahaha. I wanted to make it different than my K6 which is running the 6s outcast tires.

Attachments

• talion1.jpg
    talion1.jpg
    735.7 KB · Views: 23
  • talion2.jpg
    talion2.jpg
    717.3 KB · Views: 32
  • talion3.jpg
    talion3.jpg
    798 KB · Views: 30
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back