JConcepts Magma tires: Great buggy tires grip as good or better than Badlands

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Surprised I don't ever see the JConcepts Magma buggy tires mentioned much on here. Got a set of the Magmas and Badlands for my 6s Typhon. Both are great but I find the Magmas slightly more grippy than the Badlands with more forward bite. Both are good options and they will be my go to tires for the Typhon.
My biggest gripe with the Typhon 6s is how hard it is on tires, but I'm getting used to the idea of needing to check them and glue them back down regularly. The Magmas and Badlands both seem to last about 2 or 3 packs, sometimes 4, before its time to clean them up and glue some spots back down. Other than that, very pleased with both options, just thought I'd mention the Magmas for anyone looking for additional options besides Badlands and Lockups.

20220504_171638.jpg

Holding up as good as the Badlands so far. Can't give them a long term durability rating, but got about 15 runs with them, 5-6 of those on 6s and the rest on 4s. I run 2 o-rings (4.25 inch 90a durometer) per tire to reduce ballooning, maybe that's helping them hold up a little better? Tried running o-rings on the Badlands but they get thrown off too easy and I don't want to glue them down.

I'll update this thread as I run them more, hoping they last because the traction is terrific.

20220529_090938.jpg

Surprised I don't ever see the JConcepts Magma buggy tires mentioned much on here. Got a set of the Magmas and Badlands for my 6s Typhon. Both are great but I find the Magmas slightly more grippy than the Badlands with more forward bite. Both are good options and they will be my go to tires for the Typhon.
My biggest gripe with the Typhon 6s is how hard it is on tires, but I'm getting used to the idea of needing to check them and glue them back down regularly. The Magmas and Badlands both seem to last about 2 or 3 packs, sometimes 4, before its time to clean them up and glue some spots back down. Other than that, very pleased with both options, just thought I'd mention the Magmas for anyone looking for additional options besides Badlands and Lockups.

View attachment 220370
Do you think these would work well on a typhon 3s ?

Do you think these would work well on a typhon 3s ?
I think they would (y), simply because of the lighter weight and lower power of a Typhon 3s over a Typh. 6s rig.

I like traditional Buggy track tires. But I will only run 4s on my TLRT. Running 6s on the Typhon will always wear out tires faster.
Always check and/or Add CA at the beads, balance them and Vent the tires. Unbalanced tires always ruins them fast, just like with scale cars. Drive poorly.
You can't get rid of ballooning, you can only minimize it. Especially with 6s running. 1/8 buggies were only meant for 4s running traditionally. 6s really over powers the Typhon IMHO. On 4s I am getting 58 MPH on 4s. 22/50. ( cold winter use) Honestly quite fast enough for any 1/8 buggy.
These below come pre-vented at the tread already.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/prolin...8-buggy-tires-2-white-s3-pro9071-233/p1402854

I run these on my 6s Kraton ( Larger Truggy version X-Cons) Outlived my Stockers easily.
Buggy Version below.

https://www.amazon.com/Duratrax-X-C...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584345030895926&psc=1

Just some more ideas.

Last edited:
I think they would (y), simply because of the lighter weight and lower power of a Typhon 3s over a Typh. 6s rig.

Yes, they would definitely be a good option for the 3s Typhon.
Cool, Tower has them on sale so I might pick up a set.

Tried running o-rings on the Badlands but they get thrown off too easy and I don't want to glue them down.
Could try just gluing them in a few spots. That's what I do when I wrap tires with 550lb cored kevlar cord. The first time, I glued the entire string to the tire... that was a pain to remove when it broke. I was using 4 wraps of 70lb at the time. Switched to the heavier/cored stuff and it holds up way better, but I still only glue it every other lug or so.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back