JDowns Kraton 8S Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDowns

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
This will be a fairly slow moving project as I'm waiting for parts. Amazing how many things are backordered until May.

Did get the new CC Max 8S combo in today. For some reason I was expecting the ESC to be bigger. But it will fit nicely onto the existing spot on top of the electronics tray. Just need to print a bracket to hold it in place using the existing mounting holes. Motor is HUGE! Will need to figure out a cooling solution there.

The receiver box is TINY! Not much room to do anything in there at all. Probably going to need to print another box for additional electronics.

M2C stuff should be here tomorrow, and the bearings and stainless screws on Friday.

First step will be to replace the tower to tower bracing with carbon fiber. This will give me some nice mounting area for wire management, camera system, and what not. Starting to print a mockup template. My idea would be to take (2) 2.5mm sheets with spacers in between for the correct width.

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 2.39.04 PM.png

Looking good @JDowns ,you and I had the same thoughts on the bracing. Here’s my drawing I did, I’m connecting mine to the chassis. My cad is a little dated :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• BE6A3B76-5473-45BD-AE4E-76E4A90D4B48.jpeg
    BE6A3B76-5473-45BD-AE4E-76E4A90D4B48.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 70
Looking good @JDowns ,you and I had the same thoughts on the bracing. Here’s my drawing I did, I’m connecting mine to the chassis. My cad is a little dated :ROFLMAO:

I still own that version of CAD! :p

Most of my CAD stuff starts out on a napkin to get the juices flowing.

I still own that version of CAD! :p

Most of my CAD stuff starts out on a napkin to get the juices flowing.

i know that all to well...??

Has anyone clear anodized an M2C chassis yet? I'm considering this just not sure how grey it will go through the process.

Tower to Tower Brace is prototyped. Getting a quote now for the cnc service for (2) 2.5mm sheets. There will then be stand-offs (5.25mm) between the two sheets. Full carbon fiber frame and an M2C chassis. I think this will never bend, possibly shatter if I drive like @bicketybam :eek: , but never bend. :p

IMG_2534.JPG

While I'm waiting on the chassis and parts, I figure I can waste some time polishing parts.

Carbon fiber tower to tower brace is being fabricated. Should be here next week. It was cheaper to just have (4) sets made and use a whole sheet. Came out to less than $30 a set. I think (2) 2.5mm sheets with spacers in between should hold up just fine.

Still waiting on the M2C stuff. Odd it hasn't showed up yet given it was shipped on Monday. Didn't come with tracking so I have no clue. Hoping it shows up tomorrow. if not I'll have them track it down.

Almost back together. Gave the battery tray's, side thingy-ma-bobs, electronics tray the threaded insert treatment.

M2C chassis is pretty much spot on. If I had one complaint. The large pinion 8mm sliding motor mount could use a small size adjustment where the nut attaches to the center diff at the bearing. It was impossible to get a thin wall 7mm hex in the hole. It really should be about 1mm wider in diameter. I had to put a thin wall in a drill press and file it down to get the nut tightened.

Also modified the stock heatsink and fan to fit on the larger can motor. Took a bit of grinding and bending but it barely fits.

IMG_2544.JPG

IMG_2545.JPG

Not sure how this would look given the dimensions of the chassis, given that its very squarish. But this is the look I'm aiming for. Tatum Motorsports makes some sick sand-rails. Time to stock up on some 1/4" solid rod and build a frame.

Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 4.54.13 PM.png

Carbon fiber tower to tower brace is installed. I'm gonna have the guy that did my carbon cutting get me a quote on doing a center piece out of aluminum slightly offset smaller than the carbon fiber as the center piece. So an aluminum piece sandwiched by carbon fiber. Might be a pretty nice look.

IMG_2559.JPG

Starting on the front bumper / skid plate first. This won't be red in the end. Just prototyping in cheap filament to start. In the end this will be out of Nylon and TPU. Also got in an assortment of nylon and delrin rods to make the frame.

IMG_2560.JPG

IMG_2561.JPG

Last of the parts should be rolling in today, so should be a busy weekend.

I'm left with a question. What would happen if a Kraton 8S and Losi DBXLE had a little bit too much to drink and made sweet sweet love at a roadside truck stop outhouse?

Could be interesting.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back