Kraton k6exb 'beefcake'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers, sorry meant what hardware
Sorry I’m having a hard time following, can you be more specific?

If you’re referring to speed I used a SkyRC gps GSMO20:
C4984F75-6B40-4FC5-B9DA-4D7C5E7F8ED2.jpeg

First off, a big thank you to everyone on the form for sharing such great information and the mod's for maintaining a wealth of info - as a new builder I was able to get through entire build without having to ask any questions.

6sEXB / Castle 1717 1650kv / MMX8S / M2C / PPS / JBI / ALZA / GCRC

TLDR Pic:
View attachment 220634

The build in chronological order:
Planning
View attachment 220637
Phase 1 start
Roller arrived on mother's day, thanks FedEx :rolleyes:
View attachment 220632
Parts laid out for assembly
View attachment 220639
Was too excited to get started and forgot to take a 'before' pic
View attachment 220643
Fully broken down
View attachment 220645
PPS motor mount 🤤
View attachment 220646
Reassembly
View attachment 220648Phase 1 complete!
View attachment 220650

After several packs I identified the following items to correct in Phase 2:
1. My makeshift servo mount extension was twisting / not going to work long-term
2. Motor was quickly getting to ~165 temps even with 18/50 gearing and would need fans
3. Tires were good but not great
4. MMX8S fan already broke
5. Spektrum tx/receiver felt slow and was a pain to switch between cars (with and without gyro)
6. Lots of un-necessary wiring

Phase 2:
JBI mount was a pain to get in; even after prying it into place I found the stock screws were ~2mm too long and need to file them down as I didn't have any of correct size:
View attachment 220652
I went with with K8 heat sink with some .5mm thermal pad to make the connection
GCRC 'Maximus' (50mm) motor fan would not fit so cut the body for a cold-air-intake kind of thing
View attachment 220654
GCRC 'Typhoon' ESC fan required different screws than the MMX8S so used an M3 tap to get it together
View attachment 220656
Able to stuff Flysky FGr4 and castle bluetooth in the stock box.. barely
View attachment 220658
Phase 2 result:
View attachment 220659
View attachment 220660

Phase 3 will be mostly cosmetic/reliability and will begin when I have a significant breakage (already stockpiling parts 😏).

Overall very pleased with the build, averaging ~130 temps in 90+ ambient on 20/50 gearing and handles great. Full weight comes in at 15.4lbs. Only regret was not including ceramic bearings in phase 1; now am faced with the daunting task of tearing everything apart to mark project 'done'. Only other regret was not building sooner.
And for those interested here's my gearing on 6s with backflips. I haven't GPS'd it yet and I don't really care to, but I think the 46mph calculation below is very conservative.
View attachment 220666
First off, a big thank you to everyone on the form for sharing such great information and the mod's for maintaining a wealth of info - as a new builder I was able to get through entire build without having to ask any questions.

6sEXB / Castle 1717 1650kv / MMX8S / M2C / PPS / JBI / ALZA / GCRC

TLDR Pic:
View attachment 220634

The build in chronological order:
Planning
View attachment 220637
Phase 1 start
Roller arrived on mother's day, thanks FedEx :rolleyes:
View attachment 220632
Parts laid out for assembly
View attachment 220639
Was too excited to get started and forgot to take a 'before' pic
View attachment 220643
Fully broken down
View attachment 220645
PPS motor mount 🤤
View attachment 220646
Reassembly
View attachment 220648Phase 1 complete!
View attachment 220650

After several packs I identified the following items to correct in Phase 2:
1. My makeshift servo mount extension was twisting / not going to work long-term
2. Motor was quickly getting to ~165 temps even with 18/50 gearing and would need fans
3. Tires were good but not great
4. MMX8S fan already broke
5. Spektrum tx/receiver felt slow and was a pain to switch between cars (with and without gyro)
6. Lots of un-necessary wiring

Phase 2:
JBI mount was a pain to get in; even after prying it into place I found the stock screws were ~2mm too long and need to file them down as I didn't have any of correct size:
View attachment 220652
I went with with K8 heat sink with some .5mm thermal pad to make the connection
GCRC 'Maximus' (50mm) motor fan would not fit so cut the body for a cold-air-intake kind of thing
View attachment 220654
GCRC 'Typhoon' ESC fan required different screws than the MMX8S so used an M3 tap to get it together
View attachment 220656
Able to stuff Flysky FGr4 and castle bluetooth in the stock box.. barely
View attachment 220658
Phase 2 result:
View attachment 220659
View attachment 220660

Phase 3 will be mostly cosmetic/reliability and will begin when I have a significant breakage (already stockpiling parts 😏).

Overall very pleased with the build, averaging ~130 temps in 90+ ambient on 20/50 gearing and handles great. Full weight comes in at 15.4lbs. Only regret was not including ceramic bearings in phase 1; now am faced with the daunting task of tearing everything apart to mark project 'done'. Only other regret was not building sooner.
And for those interested here's my gearing on 6s with backflips. I haven't GPS'd it yet and I don't really care to, but I think the 46mph calculation below is very conservative.
View attachment 220666
Looks like a great build and am steering in the same direction with mine. Also looks we share another passion…. Here fishy fishy! I chase the speckled sea trout though.

Looks like a great build and am steering in the same direction with mine. Also looks we share another passion…. Here fishy fishy! I chase the speckled sea trout though.
Oh dude don’t even get me started - RC is my hobby, fishing is my lifelong passion. I don’t want to go too far off topic here so I’ll just share the electrical distribution I made for my kayak (given vague similarity with RC)
AF5D6494-54A0-46B1-B3D4-06439C5D68FF.jpeg

Hahaha. Same here! I stay waist deep and sneak up on them. Very nice set up there! My mentanium, Aldabaren, and lews custom lite have gears and breaks so that’s a little on topic. Ha

Gonna have to watch that again soon! Great movie. Stripped down to bare metal… going back with red? Also wouldn’t that weaken the aluminum?

Gonna have to watch that again soon! Great movie. Stripped down to bare metal… going back with red? Also wouldn’t that weaken the aluminum?
No red, going black and silver throughout truck. Weakening the aluminum I’m not even sure how I would test that. There’s no doubt that this is nasty stuff - if you leave in longer than a few minutes you risk pitting the alloy which would obviously be a red flag. I submerged/swirled for 3min and immediately washed with dish soap and water, and repeated for 2min on a few parts that weren’t completely silver. No signs of pitting.

3 min shouldn’t hurt it. Certainly if you left it in for a long period it would start to corrode the metal

Build update: another grind weekend at the bench but things are starting to come together. Final parts arriving next Wednesday (granular stuff like oddball size screws and shims, etc).

I ended up doubling both case and gear side smaller shims in diffs, I have read this is unnecessary with alloy diff housing but seemed to eliminate play in outdrives. Wonder if this is due to gaskets I used (Tekjo) being a bit thicker? What should I look out for signs of a diff mesh that’s too tight?

Good first experience with Vitavon so far, perf fitment was no more than .4mm away on bulkhead and diffs, however the screws are garbage. I plan on replacing all of them during my first regular maintenance service.

E54596D5-E61C-445C-9ED3-6463E339A0A8.jpeg
9238DECA-CF77-475C-BFC3-3753BBA77D33.jpeg
623847FC-C5C3-489F-964C-E809ADF43B40.jpeg

Last edited:
Build update: another grind weekend at the bench but things are starting to come together. Final parts arriving next Wednesday (granular stuff like oddball size screws and shims, etc).

I ended up doubling both case and gear side smaller shims in diffs, I have read this is unnecessary with alloy diff housing but seemed to eliminate play in outdrives. Wonder if this is due to gaskets I used (Tekjo) being a bit thicker? What should I look out for signs of a diff mesh that’s too tight?

Good first experience with Vitavon so far, perf fitment was no more than .4mm away on bulkhead and diffs, however the screws are garbage. I plan on replacing all of them during my first regular maintenance service.

View attachment 229015View attachment 229017View attachment 229016
Easiest way to check your gear mesh is to get a standard thickness piece of printer paper and cut a small enough strip that you can feed it into the ring and pinion while turning it. If it’s to tight it will either not feed through at all or cut all the way through the paper. When you have it set right the piece of paper will feed through and come out looking perfectly crinkled.

Easiest way to check your gear mesh is to get a standard thickness piece of printer paper and cut a small enough strip that you can feed it into the ring and pinion while turning it. If it’s to tight it will either not feed through at all or cut all the way through the paper. When you have it set right the piece of paper will feed through and come out looking perfectly crinkled.
Sorry, I meant mesh between sun and planetary gears in differentials, not between pinion and spur.

BUILD UPDATE: P3 COMPLETE!!

Key updates include:
_alu bulkheads
_alu bell crank
_alu hubs
_alu diff cases & rebuild
_revised cooling system
_overall refresh of plastic bits (including cosmetic)

Significant weight reduction measures were taken to balance addition of alu parts, successfully (and surprisingly) reducing full weight from P1 build of 15.4lbs to current P3 build of 15.2lbs.

Looking forward to 'pressure testing' this build after the threadlocker cures tomorrow 😏 will update after shakedown with GPS speed on new backflip LP / 22t pinon setup.

Parts List (current):
CategoryBrandDescriptionPart No.
Chassism2cCHASSIS3000
Chassism2cREAR SHOCK TOWER3400
Chassism2cFRONT SHOCK TOWER3401
Chassism2cFRONT CENTER BRACE (POLISHED)3047
Chassism2cREAR CENTER BRACE3046
ChassisVitavonCNC Front/Rear bulkheadNA
ChassisPPSGrublock Motor MountNA
Chassism2cFRONT HINGE PIN RETAINER KIT w/ BUMPER MOUNT3616
Chassism2cREAR HINGE PIN RETAINER KIT3615
Chassism2cREAR SHOCK TOWER BRACE3035
ChassisBasherqueenCarbon Fiber Top Plate - 5mmBQNA320195UHD
ChassisBasherqueenCarbon Fiber Rear Mudguards - 2mmBQNAMDWV5
ChassisJust Bash ItServo Mount Extended HeightNA
ChassisAvid RCCeramic Revolution BearingsAV-ARR-TAL
ChassisPPSESC Switch MountNA
ChassisArrmaMajove Rear Bumper (cut down)ARA320540
ChassisBasherqueenGearbox / Bulkhead GasketsBQNA310854
ChassisRC ScrewzStainless Steel ScrewsRCZARA007
ChassisXunweiAlu Rear Center Brace MountNA
CoolingGame ChangerTyphon v2 Fan (For ESC)NA
CoolingGame ChangerGCVR HARDWIRE with on/off switchNA
CoolingGame ChangerTyphon v2 2x Fan (For Motor)NA
CoolingAlza Racing40mm Aluminum Fan Cover (for ESC)NA
CoolingAlza RacingDual 40mm Aluminum Fan Cover (for Motor)NA
CoolingAlza RacingMotor 40mm Fan Mounting base (for Motor)NA
DifferentialsTekno22T PinionTKR4182
DifferentialsVitavon29mm V2 Diff Case Alu+HD SteelNA
Differentialsm2cDIFFERENTIAL OUT DRIVES3402
DifferentialsTLRSilicon Diff Oil (50k, 200k, 20k (F/C/R))TLR5286, TLR5284, TLR75008
DifferentialsTekno13x16x.1mm, Diff ShimsTKR1222
DifferentialsTekjoDiff GasketsNA
DifferentialsLucas OilRed n Tacky Diff Grease10318
DifferentialsKyosho8x12x0.2mm Shim (for main input gear)KYO96773
Drivetrainm2cDOGBONE REAR CENTER DRIVESHAFT310460
Drivetrainm2c17MM +5MM HEX UNIVERSAL HEX ADAPTER FOR 8MM AXLES3500 Rev B
ElectronicsCastleMAMBA MONSTER X 8S, 33.6V ESC010-0165-00
ElectronicsCastle1717-1650KV Motor060-0081-00
Electronicsgensacearespammers22.2V 6800mAh 6S 120C LiPo Battery: EC5GEA68006S12E5
ElectronicsPowerhobby760MG Brushless Digital Servo (Running @ 7.4v / Stall Torque: 49kg - 680 oz-in)PH760MG
ElectronicsFlySkyNoble NB4 TransmitterNB4
ElectronicsCastleESC Bluetooth Adapter011-0135-00
ElectronicsCastleMotor Sensor wire 250mm011-0150-00
ElectronicsFlySkyFGr4 V2 Receiver FGr4 V2
RollerArrmaDONOR CAR - Kraton 6s EXB Roller 1/8ARA106053
Shocksm2c16 MM ZRS SHOCK CAPS AND ORING SHOCK PISTONS3480
Shocksm2cSHOCK TOWER STAND OFF KIT3080
Shocksm2cSHOCK CAP BUSHING3076
ShocksArrmaMachined shock seal guide setARA330729
ShocksArrmaX-Ring Shock SealsARA711003
ShocksTLRSilicone Shock Oil 80wt / 1000cstTLR74016
SteeringVitavonFront & Rear HubsNA
SteeringVitavonCNC 7075# Servo Steering Bell CrankNA
SteeringBasherqueenCarbon Fiber UHD Steering Plate A - 5mmBQNA340072UHD
TiresdBootsBackflip LPARAC9468

IMG_2492.jpg
IMG_2478.jpg
IMG_2480.jpg
IMG_2498.jpg
IMG_2495.jpg
IMG_2497.jpg
IMG_2493.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back