Kraton Kraton 8s EXB. XLX2, 1100KV motor and 30/47 gearing. Raminator servo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really getting tired of these bolts coming lose and damaging my gears internally on my Outcast 8s and EXB K8S. I've done everything (degreased all the parts, including the bolts, I used red loctite and tightened the crap out of those bolts) and they still came lose with time. That has been my biggest problem with the 8s Arrma trucks. Has anyone else experienced this headache???
20220608_161702.jpg

So I'm going to try this again. Degrease everything with industrial degreaser, clean everything up, then use this loctite and bolt down the bolts with the L Allen wrench for maximum torque. I'll see what happens with this time

20220609_124043.jpg
20220609_124047.jpg
20220609_162451.jpg

Has anyone had issues with the code "radio glitch" on their XLX2? I keep getting that code, RC stops running, I recalibrate, works fine for like 5 minutes, then radio glitch again. It did it with the previous radio and receiver (different now) too.

You rebuilding diffs in the back of a van/suv wins the day for me. Haha.
haha my ass needs a chair to do anything with these rigs

haha my ass needs a chair to do anything with these rigs
I do it standing up. Then I'm like, why are my legs tired? Oh yeah, I've been working for like 6 hours at work and instead of sitting down during lunch, I was standing working on my RC vehicles with 100F + outside too 😂😂😂😂

I do it standing up. Then I'm like, why are my legs tired? Oh yeah, I've been working for like 6 hours at work and instead of sitting down during lunch, I was standing working on my RC vehicles with 100F + outside too 😂😂😂😂
I can totally relate....I usually have 12-15 hr days and right now I'm debating on working on my car....I know though, that once I start rolling I have to complete whatever I'm doing...even if it takes 4+hrs. I'm phobic about leaving my car apart just for the fact of possibly loosing parts into the ether...

I can totally relate....I usually have 12-15 hr days and right now I'm debating on working on my car....I know though, that once I start rolling I have to complete whatever I'm doing...even if it takes 4+hrs. I'm phobic about leaving my car apart just for the fact of possibly loosing parts into the ether...
I put my bolts in a bag if I can't finish. I just found my rear center driveshaft on my Mojave that I had lost inside my SUV 😂

My Castle 2028 motor is having trouble. It sounds like the rotor is hitting the sides internally. After one year of countless big jumps and crashes I guess it's expected. Not being supported in the rear probably has something to do with it. I can see where the outside part is slapping against the chassis. I did put a piece of foam later on after use, but I guess it was too late. That would be my guess. I'll have to take it apart and see what's going on. And I looked at the Castle website. Even if the rotor can be replaced, it looks like Castleton doesn't sell that part for it 😢

Last edited:
I heard the Hobbystars run a little hotter than Hobbywing. Make sure you cool that bad boy!! :cool: (y)
Yeah. I had to put the high speed fans on my Outcast 8s with the XLX2 and HW 1100KV 5687. I have another set of high speed fans ready for this motor too. The Shorter HW got to 190F without fans and 140F with fans. Huge improvement! The 5692 is a bit longer, with slightly higher Kv.

Yeah. I had to put the high speed fans on my Outcast 8s with the XLX2 and HW 1100KV 5687. I have another set of high speed fans ready for this motor too. The Shorter HW got to 190F without fans and 140F with fans. Huge improvement! The 5692 is a bit longer, with slightly higher Kv.
Yep, definitely gonna need them high speed fans haha. Looking forward to seeing it rip!

Yep, definitely gonna need them high speed fans haha. Looking forward to seeing it rip!
I'll confess that I never checked the bearings on the 2028 Castle motor that is locking up, but I never checked the bearing on my 5687SL motor in my X-Maxx either. Zero issues with that motor. And it's 3 years old 😅. I think it was the impacts against the metal chassis that probably damaged that big motor. The plastic chassis on the Xmaxx transfers less stress. Plus the 5687 motor is much lighter and shorter.

I'll confess that I never checked the bearings on the 2028 Castle motor that is locking up, but I never checked the bearing on my 5687SL motor in my X-Maxx either. Zero issues with that motor. And it's 3 years old 😅. I think it was the impacts against the metal chassis that probably damaged that big motor. The plastic chassis on the Xmaxx transfers less stress. Plus the 5687 motor is much lighter and shorter.
Agreed, for sure has to do with the weight of the vehicle too. The Xmaxx isn’t too bad, the arrma 8s rigs are BEEFCAKE heavy lol.

Agreed, for sure has to do with the weight of the vehicle too. The Xmaxx isn’t too bad, the arrma 8s rigs are BEEFCAKE heavy lol.
What sucks about the Castle motors is that they don't sell rotor replacements for their bigger motors. Just the smaller ones. Not sure why. TBH, I feel that their motors are overpriced, and the XLX2 is kind of fragile. The MMX8S has been stout. Their 1717 motor gave me issues. The 5687 and 4985 HW motors have been so reliable. The Max 5 and Max 6 have been super reliable too. To be fair, I'm not sure if HW sells replacement parts for their motors either, since I haven't even had to check.

What sucks about the Castle motors is that they don't sell rotor replacements for their bigger motors. Just the smaller ones. Not sure why. TBH, I feel that their motors are overpriced, and the XLX2 is kind of fragile. The MMX8S has been stout. Their 1717 motor gave me issues. The 5687 and 4985 HW motors have been so reliable. The Max 5 and Max 6 have been super reliable too. To be fair, I'm not sure if HW sells replacement parts for their motors either, since I haven't even had to check.
Hobbywing is 100% the reliable option in my opinion. The castle stuff is more hot roddish. I feel like they are like the sports car with the super tight tolerances that don’t last as long and the HW stuff is like the energizer bunny… just keeps going and going and going. That being said I have both types of systems in my rigs currently lol.

New Masher X tires and HobbyStar 5692 motor is here. It should be a great set up with my Gens bashers pros. The HobbyStar motor looks and feels like quality. It seems just a little longer than the 5687SL HW motor

20221231_034119.jpg
20221231_034124.jpg
20221231_034158.jpg
20221231_141752.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back