Kraton Kraton 8s issues / troubleshooting consolidation.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just tried to enable AVC correctly again after having it completely disabled - try this - reversed - rebound, calibrated, try that - still reversed - after 10 minutes I had a look at the manual to find out that my calibration sequence was reversed :banghead::banghead:. sorted - now ready for tweaking I'd say - kept my settings for now before tweaking:
0: STR 0 - THR 0 - PRI 100 - this should keep AVC more less disabled, up to 100% override
1: STR 50 - THR 0 - PRI 100 - this should assist steering but not affect the power, up to 100% override
2: STR 50 - THR 50 - PRI 100 - steering assist and affecting power but up to 100% override

As I had it in front of me I just had a look on my rear shocks - similar not as bad yet but rubbing off - seems like the springs are off - if you try to bring it up or down a bit the portion it binds travels with it - I compressed/depressed them wiggle top and bottom of the shocks slightly to see if they aren't seated properly nope - something seems off here as well

My receiver was sent to me non working so I have a claim to make myself.

I had exactly the same receiver was DOA but my LHS replaced it in store with another one - only had to wait a day before it arrived - they just ordered the same one and swapped them in store

Last edited:
Can you just replace the wiring with longer runs? I would think it would be pretty important to use those clips as intended?
I could be wrong, but the lipos batteries may be the problem. Too short on some brands. The ESC wires lengths are usually standardized when mfr'ed. Short is good unless it is not a good fit for the chassis and layout. I don't have an 8S.:( Not yet at least(y)

Are your k8s like really squeaky in the front? Mines like a squeak fest somewhere around the from diff housing when the a arms actuate. There's a decent amount of slop in the front a arms and I'm wondering if it's from this over tolerance letting things bind a bit under flexion. I can also generate squeaking in the same area by turning the wheels left and right by hand.

Horizon finally responded about my customer service request for the shock. Took them 4.5 says to update the ticket, still don't know what they're going to do but I will keep the thread updated on it as I suspect others will have the same issue besides me and Jexz.

Also I found the squeaky thing, it was plastic on plastic at the a arm to diff housing. Anyone have a lube recommendation besides wd40 in there? Might try boeshield or an evaporative wax mtb chain lube so it lasts more than one pack.

Just an update on the shocks. Horizon just emailed me that they sending me a fresh pair of rear shocks and springs - so it looks like they agree on the shock rubbing as a problem and are willing to replace under warranty. So if your shocks rub, reach out and you should get a replacement. Luckily I guess they come in pairs so if it's only one, you'll get a free spare.

Just an update on the shocks. Horizon just emailed me that they sending me a fresh pair of rear shocks and springs - so it looks like they agree on the shock rubbing as a problem and are willing to replace under warranty..

I have written to them as well - only had a 2 runs with it thanks to the weather and have noticed the same when cleaning it - I did attach some pictures to show it as well, should make it easier - unfortunately I have noticed that on my brand new Granite the rear left shock is leaking as well :(

I have written to them as well - only had a 2 runs with it thanks to the weather and have noticed the same when cleaning it - I did attach some pictures to show it as well, should make it easier - unfortunately I have noticed that on my brand new Granite the rear left shock is leaking as well :(
I'm not getting any leak on the k8s but the erosion is really aggressive so I hope you get yours replaced too. Wasn't super quick like Amain is but hey it's still technically a smooth process.

I have (well technically my wife has) a granite as well. It did have a leaky sticky shock and it turned out to be a bent shaft. I just put it in a bench vise and straightened it there and the leak stopped. Luckily I don't think it was bent long enough to oval out the bottom of the shock body.

I'm not getting any leak on the k8s but the erosion is really aggressive so I hope you get yours replaced too. Wasn't super quick like Amain is but hey it's still technically a smooth process.
Its not the K8S that has a leaking shock just the Granite but I saw it as it was sitting on cardboard next to the Kraton when I took the picutres of the scrubbing shocks ...

Hi man,

i've got same trouble on mine after my first run, and it's a back shock like you.
View attachment 56853
I picked up my truck today. Based on input from the forum, I immediately looked at the springs, front and back. Both of my rear springs are touching the tubes, so I think I may run into the same problem. I checked the seating of the springs and they seem correct.
Haven't run it yet, but I will update after my first run.

Just an update on the shocks. Horizon just emailed me that they sending me a fresh pair of rear shocks and springs - so it looks like they agree on the shock rubbing as a problem and are willing to replace under warranty. So if your shocks rub, reach out and you should get a replacement. Luckily I guess they come in pairs so if it's only one, you'll get a free spare.
Yep, they come packaged in pairs.

Seeing as it’s Xmas next week. After my son opens his gift, is there anything I need to check/adjust before he plays with it? He’s not a Basher but he is a magnet for trash cans.

the front skid plate hit a very low concrete edge in the park and flipped 15ft into the air. Runs fine afterward! What a car, what a BEAST!

Damage: chassis bent, upper long brace bent, skid plate toast, front suspension mount behind the skid plate is bent.

Other than that, love the truck!! Ordered the rear arm shields along with some random parts. Need M2C to come out with reliable pieces...until then, I’ll just keep running the slightly bent stuff.

mine don't look as bad yet as I only have taken it gently on almost flat surface unlike some of you guys but just got a message from HH support deeming it normal wear ...

edit actually let me ask people who know what they are doing is this normal wear after 10 minutes road and 15 minutes landing strip racing? no jumps off curbs or anything - landing strip obviously almost flat surface - or is this the type of quality I should expect?

1576776182130.png

I do wonder if the springs are straight as they are on my front as to me that shouldn't bind on any side after these "gentle" rides my front ones don't at all ... I did turn the springs away to take the picture

just to be perfectly clear I am not after a freebie trying to jump on a bandwagon or so but genuinely have doubts that this is correct and could become something bigger just as I am not like some of you it may take longer - so genuine question

Last edited:
Try calling another agent because that is not normal. There are others with pics of more dramatic wear and they were covered under warranty

you are lucky man, look what they answer me:

Good afternoon Clement,
as I already explained yesterday, it will not affect the performance of your Kraton in the slightest.
It will rub a bit each time you drive your vehicle.
As mentioned yesterday, you may want to take the spring out and check it if it is straight. You might want to tweak it a little or turn it about 180 Degrees.
You always have the option to take it to your retailer and have it checked there.
Kind regards

you are lucky man, look what they answer me:

Good afternoon Clement,
as I already explained yesterday, it will not affect the performance of your Kraton in the slightest.
It will rub a bit each time you drive your vehicle.
As mentioned yesterday, you may want to take the spring out and check it if it is straight. You might want to tweak it a little or turn it about 180 Degrees.
You always have the option to take it to your retailer and have it checked there.
Kind regards
That's a pretty BS answer they gave you. You definitely shouldn't need to bend your springs yourself. Fyi my replacements came in today to give an idea of turnaround. Maybe it was a difference in wording - I told them that it was aggressively eroding the shock body and the spring. If I take digital calipers to mine there's a substantial change in thickness in the area of rubbing. If every other RC I've ever had has never had this problem to where it's not just a bit of anodization but actually eating away metal to metal, then there's no reason it should be ok on a Kraton 8s.
mine don't look as bad yet as I only have taken it gently on almost flat surface unlike some of you guys but just got a message from HH support deeming it normal wear ...

edit actually let me ask people who know what they are doing is this normal wear after 10 minutes road and 15 minutes landing strip racing? no jumps off curbs or anything - landing strip obviously almost flat surface - or is this the type of quality I should expect?

View attachment 57780

I do wonder if the springs are straight as they are on my front as to me that shouldn't bind on any side after these "gentle" rides my front ones don't at all ... I did turn the springs away to take the picture

just to be perfectly clear I am not after a freebie trying to jump on a bandwagon or so but genuinely have doubts that this is correct and could become something bigger just as I am not like some of you it may take longer - so genuine question
That one looks kinda normal to me, I'll edit in another picture of mine later to show how bad it was getting. Still - annoying for 20 minutes

That one looks kinda normal to me, I'll edit in another picture of mine later to show how bad it was getting. Still - annoying for 20 minutes

I am not sure hence I asked the question - what I did next was compress the shocks as if you were landing front and rear on my Kraton, Granite, Losi - none apart from the Kraton rear shock have the spring actually binding with the shock not even on the Kraton on the front - so I thought maybe its the different preload - changed it to 5mm as on the front, same test binding - brought it back to 7.5mm again same behaviour - I didnt take the shocks off to roll the springs on glass yet but I guess they are out of shape from stock

I am not sure hence I asked the question - what I did next was compress the shocks as if you were landing front and rear on my Kraton, Granite, Losi - none apart from the Kraton rear shock have the spring actually binding with the shock not even on the Kraton on the front - so I thought maybe its the different preload - changed it to 5mm as on the front, same test binding - brought it back to 7.5mm again same behaviour - I didnt take the shocks off to roll the springs on glass yet but I guess they are out of shape from stock
Yeah I agree. My Talion, Kraton 6s, granite, e Revo, crawler etc none of them do this. They might touch momentarily in a wonky off camber poo landing but none of them just straight hard rub like this.

By now have had a few things break. Front left upper a arm, rear right shock rod end, front left distal turnbuckle bolt sheared, wing mount cracked, wing cracked.

Except for the turnbuckle bolt I actually think everything that broke broke due to something up with the plastic. None of the breakages were on a crash. I would be jumping, landing on all 4, zooming around, and then turn a corner and a piece would kinda just spontaneously break ?. The wing mount as an example broke when I accidentally backed up 10 inches on an accidental trigger pull into my own leg lmao. Not even hard enough to hurt so can't imagine that's hard enough to break a wing mount.

Each broken piece of plastic has essentially split on a seam. I'll throw in a couple pictures as an example. I'm not disappointed in virtually anything about the car but I do think for the first time I may consider aftermarket plastics like rpm for the majority of the car. Historically I have never had any issues with Arrma plastic and don't like how floppy rpm is, and only used rpm for front bumpers. It's about 40-44 degrees where I'm at, not really cold.
IMG_20200111_175105.jpg
IMG_20200111_175019.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back