Kraton Kraton EXB diff issues. not impressed so far!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeeBee71

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
Ok so I picked up my Kraton EXB 6S a few weeks ago. Had a few broken parts, which I blame on the cold weather (15-30) degrees. But I took it out to bash a bit in the snow today at a local BMX place and low and behold i stripped the side gears in the rear diff.:rolleyes:
Before anyone asks, yes I checked the end play in the diffs after I got it and changed the fluid to 30K front and rear and 500K in the center. All the diffs were set up right and there was no play in the diff or housing. I'm just baffled and kind of ticked off that these things don't hold up that well, maybe its just me.
From what I gather most people don't have many issues...

Oh well its torn down now and waiting for replacement parts...:(

sorry just needed to vent a little

Ok so I picked up my Kraton EXB 6S a few weeks ago. Had a few broken parts, which I blame on the cold weather (15-30) degrees. But I took it out to bash a bit in the snow today at a local BMX place and low and behold i stripped the side gears in the rear diff.:rolleyes:
Before anyone asks, yes I checked the end play in the diffs after I got it and changed the fluid to 30K front and rear and 500K in the center. All the diffs were set up right and there was no play in the diff or housing. I'm just baffled and kind of ticked off that these things don't hold up that well, maybe its just me.
From what I gather most people don't have many issues...

Oh well its torn down now and waiting for replacement parts...:(

sorry just needed to vent a little
Change out the stock bulkheads for aluminum, the plastic gives too much and the gears can skip. I changed over to all aluminum bulkheads on both rigs and I have zero issues with skippage.

LOL he said he stripped the planetary gears inside the diff. Nothing to do with aluminum bulks being need for another $200 for f/r. The only thing you need to add is the aluminum gearbox cover the rest is just bling.

To the OP I can attest to these diffs being amazing. Ive got 3 and my buddy has the 3 his exb came with. We beat the crap outta them. On my notorious I self right everytime as well as all the other abuse. Nothing broken yet. Im not usually sending it 25ft high. But 7 or 8ft often with long distance and high speed.

Once you rebuild the diff you should be good. Arrma may warranty the parts for ya if you can wait.

I have the utmost confidence in my notorious now that it has exb diffs and HR aluminum gearbox covers. I was busting spiders and ring/input gears almost every outting. Just to give you a stat of stock vs exb on diffs. I'm on at least pack 25 now on my exb's with 0 wear. If spiders is all you blow up thats IMO better anyway as its cheaper than input/ring $35 everytime.

LOL he said he stripped the planetary gears inside the diff. Nothing to do with aluminum bulks being need for another $200 for f/r. The only thing you need to add is the aluminum gearbox cover the rest is just bling.

To the OP I can attest to these diffs being amazing. Ive got 3 and my buddy has the 3 his exb came with. We beat the crap outta them. On my notorious I self right everytime as well as all the other abuse. Nothing broken yet. Im not usually sending it 25ft high. But 7 or 8ft often with long distance and high speed.

Once you rebuild the diff you should be good. Arrma may warranty the parts for ya if you can wait.

I have the utmost confidence in my notorious now that it has exb diffs and HR aluminum gearbox covers. I was busting spiders and ring/input gears almost every outting. Just to give you a stat of stock vs exb on diffs. I'm on at least pack 25 now on my exb's with 0 wear. If spiders is all you blow up thats IMO better anyway as its cheaper than input/ring $35 e
Yeah I'm not sure if it was just the snow I was running in just too much for the gears? I think ill try the gearbox covers first and see what happens

I'm thinking I have some LSD plates around I may run a LSD in the rear to see if that will take some of the free wheeling out of the equation.

I have the utmost confidence in my notorious now that it has exb diffs and HR aluminum gearbox covers. I was busting spiders and ring/input gears almost every outting. Just to give you a stat of stock vs exb on diffs. I'm on at least pack 25 now on my exb's with 0 wear. If spiders is all you blow up thats IMO better anyway as its cheaper than input/ring $35 everytime.
he said side gears and usually when guys on this forum say side gear they mean the ring gear the most common gear to strip. And I'm sorry but aluminum bulkheads are not just "bling" the plastic threads are crap and they are known to strip. So many threads on here about guys striping the bottom screws. Ntm the tolerences on the stock bulkheads are garbage.

he said side gears and usually when guys on this forum say side gear they mean the ring gear the most common gear to strip. And I'm sorry but aluminum bulkheads are not just "bling" the plastic threads are crap and they are known to strip. So many threads on here about guys striping the bottom screws. Ntm the tolerences on the stock bulkheads are garbage.
I wanted to say exactly what you did but you did it better lol. 👊♥️
Can anyone notice the problem in the photo?

16133800080375626749425611655157.jpg

Why did you go so hi with oil?
Kind of defeats the Idea behind the LSD really.

Seems that most say to leave it as it is out of the box.
The LSD kind of makes it work it has thicker oil .

Maybe it helped cause the diff break?

Why did you go so hi with oil?
Kind of defeats the Idea behind the LSD really.

Seems that most say to leave it as it is out of the box.
The LSD kind of makes it work it has thicker oil .

Maybe it helped cause the diff break?
The rear EXB is an open diff (no LSD plates) so I went with the thicker oil to help combat some of the open diffness..lol

I picked up a set of internal gears today and some new parts coming tomorrow hopefully ill be able to put it back together then

when I said side gears I meant inside the diff the side gears attached to output cups and spider gears are the small ones that run off to the sides.
I guess I equate everything to real car speak ..lol
I guess that come with being a mechanic...:ROFLMAO:

The rear EXB is an open diff (no LSD plates) so I went with the thicker oil to help combat some of the open diffness..lol

I picked up a set of internal gears today and some new parts coming tomorrow hopefully ill be able to put it back together then

when I said side gears I meant inside the diff the side gears attached to output cups and spider gears are the small ones that run off to the sides.
I guess I equate everything to real car speak ..lol
I guess that come with being a mechanic...:ROFLMAO:
I knew what you meant, lol, thats why I said you meant the sun/planetary gears.

Aluminum gearboxes are not required to stop breaking diffs. Ive proved it on 3 rc's myself, and prolly 15 of them at my track. We don't mess up the threads, My point was he doesn't need to buy new gearboxes lol.

It was stated like it was needed. Its hella not.

I wanted to say exactly what you did but you did it better lol. 👊♥️
Can anyone notice the problem in the photo?
Curious do you run exb arms, I have sheared a few exactly the same way on my exb arms, but never my stock ones.

And Kevin doesn't even run them in his EXB build, yes tolerances can be a bit weird I will agree with that, no stock bulkhead lines up with the shock tower holes the same LOL. But I will never spend $200 on bulks, Ive replaced 2 on the notorious in 2 years and none on the kraton, obviously none on the senton its super light in comparison.

They are good to have I wont argue that. But it was originally stated like hey OP you have to buy these lol. There are options.

Warranty time i guess. The nee exb batch should have been bulletproof. I run my mojave with the open diff conversion they came out with its fantatic. 8-9 hours of run on minus 10 on snow
Just need to try and fix the bumper springs and i have put back togueter the front body mount with 30lb foshing line with lot of glue i cant break it with my hands anymore🤣

Curious do you run exb arms, I have sheared a few exactly the same way on my exb arms, but never my stock ones.

And Kevin doesn't even run them in his EXB build, yes tolerances can be a bit weird I will agree with that, no stock bulkhead lines up with the shock tower holes the same LOL. But I will never spend $200 on bulks, Ive replaced 2 on the notorious in 2 years and none on the kraton, obviously none on the senton its super light in comparison.

They are good to have I wont argue that. But it was originally stated like hey OP you have to buy these lol.
Kevin talbot is an idiot lmao so take whatever he does with a grain of salt. And metal bulkheads are ten times better then stock and save ring gears. The threads never strip wich is a common issue with the plastic ones. I never stated you needed them but if you want bullet proof rigs you don't have to fiddle with get metal bulkheads they are worth the money. You might not think so but lots of others do.

Kevin talbot is an idiot lmao so take whatever he does with a grain of salt. And metal bulkheads are ten times better then stock and save ring gears. The threads never strip wich is a common issue with the plastic ones. I never stated you needed them but if you want bullet proof rigs you don't have to fiddle with get metal bulkheads they are worth the money. You might not think so but lots of others do.
I agree cept kevin being an idiot lol. He's just not a born mechanical engineer like some of us lol. He wings a lot of stuff. Dude can fly a chopper pretty well.

For an idiot, he sure is making a good living and has fun doing it 🤷‍♂️

I have not gone down the path of alu diffs just yet, both versions have their pros and cons like everything else. I've broken and stripped several of the plastic ones and stripped gears because it went unnoticed. Learning what to look for saved me a couple times by now. I have 2 more plastic housings in stock. Let's see how long they last, been fairly lucky lately.
I have never stripped gears on a correctly shimmed and installed diff. I do hear them wear out and as soon as you hear just one odd 'clack' you simply stop and don't hope it will go away. I did have this happen if a cover wasn't installed i.e. a screw was stripped and simply didn't give the support under load. That will never be an issue with alu diffs. You know you have this issue if a screw turns fairly loosely. Screwing into plastic where you need it tight but not stripped, is not easy to master (but possible).

For an idiot, he sure is making a good living and has fun doing it 🤷‍♂️

I have not gone down the path of alu diffs just yet, both versions have their pros and cons like everything else. I've broken and stripped several of the plastic ones and stripped gears because it went unnoticed. Learning what to look for saved me a couple times by now. I have 2 more plastic housings in stock. Let's see how long they last, been fairly lucky lately.
I have never stripped gears on a correctly shimmed and installed diff. I do hear them wear out and as soon as you hear just one odd 'clack' you simply stop and don't hope it will go away. I did have this happen if a cover wasn't installed i.e. a screw was stripped and simply didn't give the support under load. That will never be an issue with alu diffs. You know you have this issue if a screw turns fairly loosely. Screwing into plastic where you need it tight but not stripped, is not easy to master (but possible).
He makes his money off his ebay scam that he try's to sell every video. guy was rich before youtube and had no problem flaunting it. Ye he has fun and is fun to watch but he flys by the seat of his pants and doesn't actually know much.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back