Kraton Kraton EXB diff issues. not impressed so far!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyways here is the parts of my diff torn down

View attachment 126994

View attachment 126995
Yup looks like you have the first batch EXBs. Should be able to get a new diff under warranty, make sure to ask for the open rear diff, might take forever to get. Weird that the bearings aren't rubber sealed?

If you want to get back up and running, either throw in some LSD plates or the open diff kit like @dk3000 mentioned. Replace the broken parts and you should be good to go 👍🏼

Hey why not buy the open diff shim kit that now sell and make it an open rear differential? Part #ARA311094
That’s actually what I did. Got the ara310894 limited slip diff kit and put it in there with 15k fluid.
Oh here’s a pic of the wing mount

664BBC96-1CCD-47D7-8D07-1A44E18CBE1C.jpeg

0F65DE1F-B4AC-4ABF-AC6D-1A7166C9AC5E.jpeg

I keep linking this periodically for some that haven't seen it yet.

The key thing I saw is that the LSD Plates have "Chamfered" edges. Pay attention to their orientation.

I used that video for my first diff fluid clean and refill. Lost a plate on accident. Had to order some. Now I ordered another plate set to have and two gear sets to have spares.

That’s actually what I did. Got the ara310894 limited slip diff kit and put it in there with 15k fluid.
Oh here’s a pic of the wing mount
Very clean looking wing supports, I see you went with mounting to the wing ;)

I have bent a few links but bend it back and keep goin, wing mount still flawless.

Yeah when I tear it down and rebuild it I will take some pics. I think I'm going to put a minimum effect ( 1 plate ) back in it and run the 10K fluid.

Thanks for the advice guys. (y)

It’s not 1 plate. You must run all three, just put the circular one against the sun gear for minimal effect. Be sure to have the plates facing the right way, they are uni directional. They only go one way.

Those fluid weights seem far too high for the front and especially the center. Max effect LSD = roughly 5x the effective fluid weight. Your 500k fluid is effectively 2.5 million. Far too high IMO.
Yup looks like you have the first batch EXBs. Should be able to get a new diff under warranty, make sure to ask for the open rear diff, might take forever to get. Weird that the bearings aren't rubber sealed?

If you want to get back up and running, either throw in some LSD plates or the open diff kit like @dk3000 mentioned. Replace the broken parts and you should be good to go 👍🏼

I have a first batch EXB I saved for my son for Christmas. I simply put an LSD plate setup in the rear with minimal effect stack amd 5k fluid. Works great so far.

Last edited:
It’s not 1 plate. You must run all three, just put the circular one against the sun gear for minimal effect. Be sure to have the plates facing the right way, they are uni directional. They only go one way.

Those fluid weights seem far too high for the front and especially the center. Max effect LSD = roughly 5x the effective fluid weight. Your 500k fluid is effectively 2.5 million. Far too high IMO.

I have a first batch EXB I saved for my son for Christmas. I simply put an LSD plate setup in the rear with minimal effect stack amd 5k fluid. Works great so far.
Got it makes sense now

Been thinking about an aluminum one off eBay 😜
I'll pass on an alloy wing mount thank you.:LOL: I rather replace a cheap wing mount than $100. worth of other related parts.;)

he said side gears and usually when guys on this forum say side gear they mean the ring gear the most common gear to strip. And I'm sorry but aluminum bulkheads are not just "bling" the plastic threads are crap and they are known to strip. So many threads on here about guys striping the bottom screws. Ntm the tolerences on the stock bulkheads are garbage.
I agree with that, my Kraton EXB is a month old and I've taken the front/rear diffs out like 3 or 4 times (dialing in diff oil and LSD) and I stripped one bottom screw on each bulkhead after 2nd removal. I'm very careful with screwing into plastic too. Only use driver for most of threads then hand tighten rest.
Eventually I'll order some Hot Racing bulkheads but for the entire set it's like 180 bucks front and rear and that's with me already having the swaybar covers! Lol

GPM are definitely cheaper, 120 for complete assembly front and rear. But is GPM as good as HR?

I agree with that, my Kraton EXB is a month old and I've taken the front/rear diffs out like 3 or 4 times (dialing in diff oil and LSD) and I stripped one bottom screw on each bulkhead after 2nd removal. I'm very careful with screwing into plastic too. Only use driver for most of threads then hand tighten rest.
Eventually I'll order some Hot Racing bulkheads but for the entire set it's like 180 bucks front and rear and that's with me already having the swaybar covers! Lol

GPM are definitely cheaper, 120 for complete assembly front and rear. But is GPM as good as HR?
Imo yes they are I have three gpm and one HR.

What would happen if you put a diff plate in wrong way being directional?

What would happen if you put a diff plate in wrong way being directional?
Give a try and let us know how it goes, if you haven't already. 🤷‍♂️
Directional in what way???? Can you be more specific?
The LSD plates have "Chamfered" edges, and Arrma clearly states how they are placed. Did you see the ArrmaRC EXB diff video yet? Do it any other way and you are on your own.🤷‍♂️ Setting up LSD stage 1 or 2 is also clear in the video.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back