Kraton motor and esc recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
Just got my Kraton about 2 weeks ago, so far I have about 10 or 11 runs on it and I love the truck as it seems to be very tough. The only complaint I have is it just feels like it needs more power. I turned the punch up to 6 via program card but didn’t like my motor temps( feel of hand, no thermo gun at this moment).

So I’m looking at a few different motor and esc combos, the hobbystar seems to be the most popular choice but does anyone else have any proven combos they are running? Pretty sure I’m going with the hobbystar 1730kv and a mamba monster max esc but I am liking to entertain other maybe better options, any help is appreciated

Just got my Kraton about 2 weeks ago, so far I have about 10 or 11 runs on it and I love the truck as it seems to be very tough. The only complaint I have is it just feels like it needs more power. I turned the punch up to 6 via program card but didn’t like my motor temps( feel of hand, no thermo gun at this moment).

So I’m looking at a few different motor and esc combos, the hobbystar seems to be the most popular choice but does anyone else have any proven combos they are running? Pretty sure I’m going with the hobbystar 1730kv and a mamba monster max esc but I am liking to entertain other maybe better options, any help is appreciated
Temping stuff with your hand isn't really the best way to test, even at 140* you can burn your hand in about 5 seconds.

But the Hobbystar Mamba Monster combo will be a good upgrade over the stock system.

Have you tried gearing up. The stock gearing is quite low and results in unimpressive top speeds on both 4 and 6S.

I would recommend going up a couple teeth on the pinion gear before spending the money on a new power system. The stock BLX system is good.

Have you tried gearing up. The stock gearing is quite low and results in unimpressive top speeds on both 4 and 6S.

I would recommend going up a couple teeth on the pinion gear before spending the money on a new power system. The stock BLX system is good.
Honestly Leo no I haven’t, when I get home today I’m gonna try putting the supplied speed pinion in and see how that runs

Honestly Leo no I haven’t, when I get home today I’m gonna try putting the supplied speed pinion in and see how that runs
The speed gearing is significantly higher. You will definitely notice the difference but try and only run the car on a smooth surface and keep a check on the motor temperature.

For general bashing/driving I would recommend somewhere in between the stock gearing and the speed gearing.

I don't know how well you know RC, so don't take this the wrong way, but these pinion gears from factory are usually glued on with thread locker. A mini gas torch is the best way to heat them up and loosen them off. Do this with the grub screw too, before you try to undo it. Be careful not to melt anything though, I take my motor out before working on it it's much easier in the long run.

I see, you’re buying a retro. Pretty sure they’re no longer available, like, forever. I’d only buy that over the normal mm2 if you’re doing 8s speed runs or really want some crazy power.

Me and a crazy intelligent guy (same guy who figured out how to hack the et-3s to run 6s) helped me out, and we force flashed version 1.24 (MMM programming, no amperage limiting and no overvoltage protection) onto my MXL-6s (Traxxas mm2). It’s a beast. That was 7 months ago and it’s having no issues. The amperage being unrestricted works the motors a lot harder though so they burn up even quicker!

Here she is, the highlight of my truck

image.jpg

Couldn’t have been done without the schematics of my old MMM that’s 9 years old
image.jpg

Edit whoops it’s 2019. The things 10. I bought it in 2009. That esc right there is really the reason I like castle so much. Best esc I’ve ever owned!!! The MXL is like a centimeter behind it though... basically equally as badass.

Last edited:
I see, you’re buying a retro. Pretty sure they’re no longer available, like, forever. I’d only buy that over the normal mm2 if you’re doing 8s speed runs or really want some crazy power.

Me and a crazy intelligent guy (same guy who figured out how to hack the et-3s to run 6s) helped me out, and we force flashed version 1.24 (MMM programming, no amperage limiting and no overvoltage protection) onto my MXL-6s (Traxxas mm2). It’s a beast. That was 7 months ago and it’s having no issues. The amperage being unrestricted works the motors a lot harder though so they burn up even quicker!

Here she is, the highlight of my truck

View attachment 33731
Couldn’t have been done without the schematics of my old MMM that’s 9 years old
View attachment 33732
Edit whoops it’s 2019. The things 10. I bought it in 2009. That esc right there is really the reason I like castle so much. Best esc I’ve ever owned!!! The MXL is like a centimeter behind it though... basically equally as badass.

I contacted Castle and they said the lead time is two weeks. I received that email less then a week ago. Im hoping it does. It will then give me a reason to buy a Typhon and build a speed demon.

I contacted Castle and they said the lead time is two weeks. I received that email less then a week ago. Im hoping it does. It will then give me a reason to buy a Typhon and build a speed demon.
Awesome man!! I like the way you think. Great that they’re re releasing them.

@nate_TalionKraton34 You know what, I just ordered my son a E Maxx brushless truck with the castle system off of e bay, got it with a extra motor and esc, I just went back and read the description and realized it has the original mamba monster esc in it!!!!

That's what you call a double win sir!
No way! An original mamba monster? Not sure if you fully read my post but that’s my favorite esc. Ever. Rock on man.

No way! An original mamba monster? Not sure if you fully read my post but that’s my favorite esc. Ever. Rock on man.
Thanks bro, I just went back and looked at the pics of the e Maxx and realized what it was coming with, it had full rpm upgrades, steel cvd’s , extra motor and esc ( I think the extra motor and esc are castle) and it also comes with 2 bodies and 3 sets of tires, truck is in really good condition, got the whole lot for 450$

Emaxx is a legendary truck and has a huge following. Shame it got discontinued. Can you send a few pictures of the truck and the extra stuff?
sure man, I’ll post it on the thread whenever it arrives, it’s due by Friday, I just ordered everything yesterday , bought it off e bay so I’m hoping all is well but the guy has 100% feedback with quite a few transactions so I hope I’m good, I have had pretty good luck thus far

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back