Esc recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevenRC06

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Typhon 3s
I have an Infraction I want to turn into a hardcore drifting machine. I’ve got a castle 2028 800kv motor for it bc I wanted a big motor in it. So that leads me to this: what is a suitable esc for my build? Also are Qs8 connectors necessary for this build? Thanks.

XLX2 with QS8 or IC5 connectors

I recommend a higher KV motor or you're gonna have to gear the heck outta that thing.
Hardcore drifting machine doesn't need to do 100mph i guess

On 8S it will deliver ~22k rpm
46T center diff
I don't know the TTC of the standard motor mount but certainly less than 92 of a PPS mount
30T = 50mph
34T = 57mph
36T = 60mph
39T = 65mph

Hardcore drifting machine doesn't need to do 100mph i guess

On 8S it will deliver ~22k rpm
46T center diff
I don't know the TTC of the standard motor mount but certainly less than 92 of a PPS mount
30T = 50mph
34T = 57mph
36T = 60mph
39T = 65mph
Max TTC is 74T. He’ll need a smaller spur.

Max TTC is 74T. He’ll need a smaller spur.
thanks for checking the TTC.

So max 28T pinion (<50mph) if you keep the stock mount and/or 46T spur

(or again 12S with a max5g2, which will push the motor rpm up to ~36k. But i've not used a g2 myself yet, so i can't advise from experience)

Last edited:
You made a great motor choice for an on road basher imo. My v2 limitless loves the xlx2 2028 combo but you should have went 1100kv instead. I'd go max 5 g2 and 12s with your motor instead.

You could buy a 40T spur gear and 34T pinion to reach 70+ mph on 8S.

To go faster than that, you'll need one of these:
  • higher-kv motor
  • aftermarket motor mount that allows bigger pinions
  • spool with smaller gearing (handling would suffer though)

xlx2 requires qs8 or 8mm bullets. mmx8 you can get away with ic5's. I recommend a higher KV motor or you're gonna have to gear the heck outta that thing.
+1
Yeah for just drifting only, not speed running , 800kv would be too low and not the best choice. Yeah you would have to gear it tall to get any decent wheel RPM's out of it. Just my Opinion.
Make sure to buy many sets of tires, they wont last but a second.:giggle:

Thanks everyone! As of now the gearing is 34t pinion and 46t center diff. A few of you mentioned the Max 5 g2. Would 8s be fine with that esc or is 12s a must since I have such a low rpm motor?

Thanks everyone! As of now the gearing is 34t pinion and 46t center diff. A few of you mentioned the Max 5 g2. Would 8s be fine with that esc or is 12s a must since I have such a low rpm motor?

8s is fine if you're happy with the speed you will get using it. Like @dure16 said, you will have to gear up drastically to get good speeds. If I was going to stick to 8s I'd probably just get an xlx2 instead tbh

To the vets

Here is my question because I am still learning. Why is an 8S with the above to be a MEAN or BEST drifting machine? Again, I'm just asking 6S over 8S for my knowledge.

I did not copy Duperdash here, but my 6S setup is very close to his. Runs good, the temps are great still with GC fans, perfect for drifting with IMHO about all the speed you need for drifting and sliding with control and I'm not doing speed runs which a build for drift is not for speed runs.

What is the XLX2 qs8 etc at 8S doing ... is it allowing more run or drift than this video below.... I'm not Rich, but I run it the same eating tires on a single run, so just want to learn what more would I get out of the setup being advised to the OP here?

Times stamped to the right spot

To the vets

Here is my question because I am still learning. Why is an 8S with the above to be a MEAN or BEST drifting machine? Again, I'm just asking 6S over 8S for my knowledge.

I did not copy Duperdash here, but my 6S setup is very close to his. Runs good, the temps are great still with GC fans, perfect for drifting with IMHO about all the speed you need for drifting and sliding with control and I'm not doing speed runs which a build for drift is not for speed runs.

What is the XLX2 qs8 etc at 8S doing ... is it allowing more run or drift than this video below.... I'm not Rich, but I run it the same eating tires on a single run, so just want to learn what more would I get out of the setup being advised to the OP here?

Times stamped to the right spot

Well with op's motor he needs at least 8s. Maybe I don't have my rigs setup the best but I love the power slides/drifting on 8s. It's basically just more brute force. Also Tire marks are awesome and 8s is definitely better if you happen to have a spool. I can't drive my limitless v2 like this on 6s, it literally won't haha. My limitless v1 that has a diff is a different story though I actually prefer the 8s v2 spool limitless over the v1 diff limitless.

I think a big part of it is also overhead. With my xlx2 and big ass motor, even if I decide to do 6s or 8s I can do it without overheating and still be geared for 80+ and I find it fun to fly back and forth at speed as well.

Time stamped!

PS, the tire marks totally made mine cooler than duperbashes!! :cool: :ROFLMAO:

12s is only to get propper rpms out of that motor and likely gives you a battery fitting challange.
The max5g2 will run fine on 8S as well, but if you will stick to 8S the XLX2 is the better option due to better cooling and capable of more than double the current (which allows higher gearing.

To the vets

In the end, power = voltage x current. Voltage is easy to increase by stacking battery cells(S), whiles current equals heat and can be rough on batteries. Batteries and heat will become the bottleneck to obtain the same power on a lower voltage. And the heavier the car, it will require more current.

Drifting needs a good and controlable rpm bandwith and torque that can overcome tyre friction(grip) on demand. You can do that too on 6S, even 4S with a matching KV motor. Whiles spinning, the power demand (load) will be lower than accellerating with grip. So just for drifting you don't need extreme power, but it to be MEAN, means you want it to be able to do both and look aggressive whiles doing so.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back