Kraton Lemon Kraton 4s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddytrex

Reaction score
Good morning all,

I have to wonder if I happened to get a lemon at this point. I purchased the rig back in June and had nothing but problems everytime I've ran it. The first time I ran it the tire glue came apart 15 minutes in. I took it back to the shop where i purchased it and they said there was nothing they could due as it is normal wear and tear. Keep in mind I was using it on grass and blacktop surfaces. I wasn't even hard on the throttle knowing I wanted to break her in a little bit. I ended up purchasing some backflips becuase I didn't care the the stock tires anyway. 2nd run, rig decides it doesn't want to put power to the wheels. I come on the forums and see it most likely is a slipper clutch issue. I take apart the vehicle and pull the motor out. I come to see the pinon gear and grub screw fell off. I go back to the shop wear i purchased it. Showed them the pinion gear and they said i needed a new one. However they didnt have the original pinion gear but they had a 15T which would make it faster. I asked why i couldnt exhange the vehicle since i am having all these issues. First off they have signs all over saying no refunds or exhanges, but what the hell I've spent over $1000 here in the last two weeks. I'm sure they will help me out. Nope. At this point I've had the vehicle for a week and a half and have had the worst experience at this place IMO. I say ok just sell me the pinion gear. I'm thinking to myself I will not purchase anything else from here. I am going to have to find another hobby shop. So the guy brings me the pinon gear and says this should work. I'm like what do you mean "Should"? He said, "he measured it up to mine and it looks similar so you shouldn't have any issues". I look at the packaging and it says .8 mod. I asked him what it meant and he said nothing. Its what it is called. I install the pinion gear into my vehicle and follow the instructions on how to tighten the slipper clutch. I run it on the street and after a few seconds it dies out again and the slipper clutch is loose again. I try to tighten it again and it just spins. I found another shop a day later and take it in' I explain everything that happened. They said i need a new slipper clutch, its bad. They said the pinion gear you have isnt the stock one and it is possible it may have ruined the slipper clutch. I said ok fix it please.( at this point im furious with the other hobbyshop but once again they refused to give me any help). Now listen to this. The new shop says it should take a week or so because they need to order the parts. He said sometimes it can take a little longer but it shouldn't take to long. He said he would call when it is ready. 1 week, 2 weeks and the 3rd week I call to see whats up. The shop tells me they are still waiting on some parts and they will call me when it is ready. I said ok. another 2 weeks go by i call again. With all the bad luck I have had with this thing. I'm starting to think this shop either lost my number or didnt order the parts yet and they are yanking my chain LOL. Same thing they are waiting on a few parts. Finally 2 and a half months later they call me and say your truck is ready. At first I thought i was being punk'd. A week later I finally get the chance to take it out. I was maybe one pack in when both the left front and rear axles break causing one of my tires to ballon and tear. I'm over here wanting to blow up this damn truck at this point. So i go online and decide to order new cvd sliders, a pair of wheels and hor racing shocks since mine were leaking real bad( even though I've only ran her a handful of times). I installed the new parts last weekend and took her out. This time my passenger side axles pops off and shoots my wheel bearings out. I just laugh it off at this point. I go online and see i can order a pair for $10 or i can order a full set of fast Eddy bearings for $30.00. I purchase the set and install the fronts only. I used locktite which was recommeneded on here. I didnt get around to doing the rears becuase it was late and i was tired. The following night my kids say they want to take thier rigs out. I take them out yesterday and I asked on here if it would be ok to run my rig without installing the fast Eddy bearings in the rear. Everyone said yeah it should be fine and you shouldnt have to change them until they go out. So I tell myself worst case scenerio i can fix whatever happens to the rear for the most part but i will be fine. Now keep in mind i haven't ran my rig hard yet. I haven't even really bashed it. Its only been ran on grass, some gravel, blacktop and artificial turf. I find a spot that has a big dirt area with some small hills. For my kids and I to have a little fun. 20 minutes in my slipper loosens up and i have no power going to the wheels. Luckily I brought my basic tools in my bag with me and tightened it back up. I went up and down the small hills maybe getting a foot at most off the ground. What do ya know my rear axle pops off. I turned off my control and sat there looking up saying you cant make this up!!!! Anyway i'm sure some of it may have been user error but cmon man, Really!! I've seen videos and videos of people beating these things up like there is no tomorrow. Yet, I sneeze on my rig and something breaks. What do you guys think? I Shouldn't have to spend another $100 or so in replacement parts on top of the original price i paid for it? Especially within the first week of purchase. Not to mention IMO I should of been able to exchange it when i brought it back the 2nd time for the pinion gear to mess issues.

Sounds like you just have the worst luck in the world, but even if the trucks a RTR, you want to break it down and make sure everything is tight no matter the brand

email horizon hobby for the tires it will be covered under warranty
Red threadlock the slipper clutch screw blue wont do it
I run a 15t pinion and its the best upgrade i have ever done by kraton 4s never breaks when i firsts got it sure i had v1 issues like you but quickly sorted them out

And...........breathe ?

Sorry I skim read because my eyes hurt looking at that but I hope you get things sorted soon.

Unfortunately there are known issues with the slipper clutch on the 4s trucks and they have since been discontinued. I would do what @Surchaufeur said - tighten the slipper down again and let the red thread lock cure for over a full day

Always ease on the throttle and modulate it the best you can - these brushless motors have a huge amount of torque in relation to the car's size

Are you and @Surchaufeur related? ???‍♂️✌?

Sorry that was too long to read the whole post, but I think I got the gist of it. The K4S is a work in progress and takes quite a bit of wrenching to keep running, at least it did for me.

Now, I will add that a part of the hobby is repairing your cars. They aren’t built to the point where they don’t wear out or break. As a new person in the hobby, you probably aren’t aware of ways to avoid some of the issues you’re having.

Thread lock will help some of your issues. Venting your tires will help too. I could type pages of things to help with the K4S, but you couldn’t take it all in in the first take. By the time I finish typing it all, the V3 will be here.

As for the hobby shop, stop rewarding them with your money if they don’t take care of you. Spend it online or somewhere that values your business.

I find it really poopy that your hobbyshop doesn't lift a finger. My hobbyshop recommands to deal with warranty yourself and if you find it complicated they will do it for you

you've had some dreadful luck! - which country are you from? - I have the Outcast 4s which I think is the same platform and it's been okay - punch setting 5 but only minor bashing.
Have you changed the punch setting on the ESC? - strange it would be breaking shafts...

I find it really poopy that your hobbyshop doesn't lift a finger. My hobbyshop recommands to deal with warranty yourself and if you find it complicated they will do it for you
Yea, after the fact that I purchased the vehicle. I have read and heard of some truly horrifying stories from there. Unfortunately there are one of the biggest rc stores in a 30 mile radius. There are only like 2 or 3 other stores but they are super small compared to them and don't stock nearly as much products or replacement parts.
you've had some dreadful luck! - which country are you from? - I have the Outcast 4s which I think is the same platform and it's been okay - punch setting 5 but only minor bashing.
Have you changed the punch setting on the ESC? - strange it would be breaking shafts...
I dunno how to change the punch setting. Whatever it is set too from the factory is what it is at.

Yea, after the fact that I purchased the vehicle. I have read and heard of some truly horrifying stories from there. Unfortunately there are one of the biggest rc stores in a 30 mile radius. There are only like 2 or 3 other stores but they are super small compared to them and don't stock nearly as much products or replacement parts.

I dunno how to change the punch setting. Whatever it is set too from the factory is what it is at.
Email horizon i can give you the email but idk if its allowed here

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back