Kraton Lightweight durable jump ramp < $45

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milehighspeed

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Typhon 3s
Nothing ground breaking here structure or concept wise other than maybe the weight. Couple folks asked about the ramp i use and how it seems to weigh so little making it more portable (relatively) so i put a video together. It’s a cheap build as well assuming you already have tools. $44.72 with tax in the USA for materials at the depot (Just built one for a friend).

Should note that i don't own 8s cars. Friend has hit it a number of times with his 8s and it held up fine, but cant comment on continuous use at 8s. Mine has lasted 4 years on 6s and downward with no issue though.

I need this! I'm gonna build one once spring arrives, thanks for the tutorial on how to build it! It's big send time. ;)

Nothing ground breaking here structure or concept wise other than maybe the weight. Couple folks asked about the ramp i use and how it seems to weigh so little making it more portable (relatively) so i put a video together. It’s a cheap build as well assuming you already have tools. $44.72 with tax in the USA for materials at the depot (Just built one for a friend).

Should note that i don't own 8s cars. Friend has hit it a number of times with his 8s and it held up fine, but cant comment on continuous use at 8s. Mine has lasted 4 years on 6s and downward with no issue though.

Really good looking ramp! I was very obsessed by searching for sutable ramp, so I just did it by myself. There are two of three ramp DIY made.

dAnpYVrk_Zc.jpg

EWdsy1Hn3Sc.jpg

Z7-DZnrj9xE.jpg

Great video. Basic ramp build, but it's the most clear and thorough explanation I've seen. Also, good inclusion of considerations first time ramp builders might not think of.

Is there an effective way to waterproof a wooden ramp? I live in the northwest and would love to not worry about shortening the life of the ramp if I go out when the ground is wet.

Is there an effective way to waterproof a wooden ramp? I live in the northwest and would love to not worry about shortening the life of the ramp if I go out when the ground is wet.
All junctions and screws of the ramp should be covered with some waterproof coating. PVA-glue works quite well I suggest. Main coat is alkyde-based enamel. On my ramp it was applied with roller to get even coat all over the surface and moreover for sealing pores of plywood. In any case the best tips for keeping your wooden ramp as new for long are not store it under open sky and sweep it dry after driving under a rain. Hope it'll help.

Frankly speaking, I prefer steel or aluminum ramp to wooden one. It is much more durable, stable and versatile. I made my third in order to have it in my trunk and not to be bothered about free space for other things. There are some photos during production process. It weights about 6,5kgs. 800mm length, 600 mm width. And the cost of it is about 50$. Aluminum plate is the most valuable part of construction.
P.S. If there are too much noise from me in your thread - let me know. Sorry for my language either, I try my best.:D

IMG_20210721_211244.jpg

IMG_20210721_211502.jpg

IMG_20210728_205749.jpg

Frankly speaking, I prefer steel or aluminum ramp to wooden one. It is much more durable, stable and versatile. I made my third in order to have it in my trunk and not to be bothered about free space for other things. There are some photos during production process. It weights about 6,5kgs. 800mm length, 600 mm width. And the cost of it is about 50$. Aluminum plate is the most valuable part of construction.
P.S. If there are too much noise from me in your thread - let me know. Sorry for my language either, I try my best.:D

View attachment 201417

View attachment 201418

View attachment 201419
All good Slava. Your English is great btw. Those are great looking ramps and I think if the majority of us had the skills and tools to build with aluminum we would…but alas we don’t. Most are comfortable with a saw and drill but not welding and torches. 😜

This has been on my list of things to look in to. Would love aluminum but that takes more specialized equipment I think.

I want mine to be easy portable. I was literally thinking a 2 foot by 4 foot piece of plywood with legs on hinges.

Curious how the curve helps these cars jump the ramp? I see most are curved so I know there must be a reason, but building the ramp would be easier with just a flat triangle shape.

Curious how the curve helps these cars jump the ramp? I see most are curved so I know there must be a reason, but building the ramp would be easier with just a flat triangle shape.
hey speedy, its about the toll hitting the ramp takes on your car. Minor launch angles and low speed you can get away with just a flat board with some slope but if you want to jump your car and launch it, the angle is too severe for the suspension and its like hitting a wall almost. you’ll note the amount of compression the suspension goes under when hitting these ramps in the videos. the curve gives the suspension some time to progressively load. You try and hit a 45 degree board at speed and the suspension will just get hammered and max compressed, the chassis will likely get loaded, the front of the car will take a hit and you’ll probably “pop” the car a little….losing traction and control sending it who knows where.

The curve makes all the difference. Flat ramps give you a dead launch. As milehighspeed said, it saps your speed/energy right at impact. A curved ramp is much flatter to start, and instead of sucking out the energy, it smoothly converts your speed (horizontal) to height (vertical). It also initiates backflip rotation and backflips are much easier. There are videos of people that took the easy route and built a flat ramp for their RC. The difference is obvious. They don't launch, they just roll off.

@milehighspeed @GRC thanks for the info. I'm a complete newb with these so I need something small to learn on but this info helps a lot. I'll adjust my design to include the curve.
It does make all the difference. Plus it does compress shocks some giving the launch and that way I can worry with control
16457256439592796882795913139335.jpg

@milehighspeed @GRC thanks for the info. I'm a complete newb with these so I need something small to learn on but this info helps a lot. I'll adjust my design to include the curve.
No worries at all speedy. That is what this forum is for. Unfortunately in the Internet world asking questions tends to expose you to trolls and unnecessary criticism from keyboard bullies but I think this forum is pretty good in avoiding that behavior and people are here to help. RC cars are toys but they are complicated toys and there are no dumb questions. We all learn from each other to make this hobby fun. (y)

View attachment 201417

View attachment 201418

View attachment 201419
What did you use to bend the steel tube? I have a few hundred feet of 3/4" and 1" square in the garage, I could knock this out in no time, but am not sure how to roll/bend that curve.

What did you use to bend the steel tube? I have a few hundred feet of 3/4" and 1" square in the garage, I could knock this out in no time, but am not sure how to roll/bend that curve.
One of my friends has a thing like this. So, he bent two pieces of square tube for me. Generally it used for bending tubes for greenhouses skeleton.

modeltest-3.png

Using some tools at hand leads same way. Red ramp was made using only circular saw, hammer and welding machine. Several cuts in a row were made on starboard and port side tubes. Each tube was hammered about plywood stensil curved to desirable angle. Extended after hammering cuts were welded and grinding to even surface. Hope, the scheme will be helpful.

Bending scheme.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back